Might & Magic X: Legacy

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yes. In fact I can quite easily imagine them reverting back to producing dumpster fires if they ever got a full budget and dev team for M&M again. If anything you should pray that they produce more low budget M&M titles.
Heh, I should've said a full budget team with the fundamentals behind MMX intact.

Keeping tile-based, keeping the silly puzzles, polishing the engine/graphics, more attention to balance/etc.

It's pretty close to perfect, with it's flaws, but some of the flaws are really glaring - I'd have loved to see the character system having more depth for example. (See Pyros' examples of GM oddities above - would've been awesome to see the advanced classes perhaps allowing you to select 3 skills to increase the cap on, or something... would result in less pigeonholing)

But yes, I didn't mean going back to 6-9 styled stuff... ugh... never again.

PS - Playing an hour or so of Xeen recently since beating it - it's not pretty but mechanics still hold up although shallow for story/etc.

Vorph

How extensive are the customization tools for this game? I would think the engine would be perfect for recreating 4th edition D&D modules if the basic combat rulesets & skills can be changed. It's already tile-based for easy transition to D&D movement/strategy
Their claims of supporting modding are a bit disingenuous to say the least.

A lot of people have been asking us the questions "Why did you choose Unity Pro? Why can't we use Unity Free?". We know that you are all curious about the reasons that motivated that choice. The reasons are quite simple: Unity Pro offers features that Unity Free doesn't. Nevertheless, it doesn't mean that you can't use Unity Free in order to create mods for Might & Magic X.

Here are some explanations about the differences between Unity Free and Unity Pro:

First of all, it is important to understand that Unity Free and Unity Pro can be used to create mods. We recommended to use Unity Pro as it includes more features (see the licenses comparison from Unity Official Website) to create and polish mods.

Even if mods can be created through Unity Free, it is not possible for players to export their content, neither to share it with other players nor to test it themselves. This restriction is due to the file format (called Asset Bundles) used by the game (and provided with Unity 3D).
I love the part where they say you can still use Unity Free to make mods, except that you can't actually share them with anyone else. Basically they're dancing around the fact that making mods for the game requires a Unity Pro license ($1500). It's not really their fault that modding the game isn't practical, and the game stands on its own without mods, but to claim it as a feature when they knew full well about the Unity Pro requirement was pretty shitty of them.

Crone

The ability to change so many things just through the games files, like the ranged damage penalty for being within range makes me think that there is going to be some kind of player patch that balances and changes a ton of things at some point in the future?

Is there a way to beef ranged damage up to mage levels? That's just the first I could think of , of things that could be changed.

Edit: Also, I'm quickly approaching analysis paralysis in terms of group make up and which I should end up going with. I've gotten 2 groups through to the light house, and considering now a third, and I feel I need to stop and just take one through to the end.

My first group was lacking, but I also didn't realize how important it was to buy new spells. Things are going to get much easier, but I fear later in game I'll have a rough time because of lack of AoE. (again, analysis paralysis)

Group is:

Crusader - as my backup healer, and some melee damage
Druid - main healer
Merc - thought it'd be cool to get that 100% crit (warfare) first hit in on mobs
Bladedancer - dual daggers sounded OP but now I'm thinking of going swords

2nd group is all casters. Freemage, RP, RP, and Druid and is burning through mobs, of course with a lot of potions and rest time in the beginning.

Will I suffer using my original group? I do like melee, so was thinking of a group like Druid, Barbarian, Crusader, Bladedancer? or is Merc just as good?

Vorph

Based on what I've seen in the csv files that store all the game mechanics data, you could:

Remove the melee range penalty.

Increase the damage and attack gained for each skill point in bow/xbow, and how big a crit% bonus master/GM xbow gives.

Add in an entirely new effect at GM bow/xbow that gives a second damage increase just like what spell schools get.

Increase the amount of crit% gained for each point in destiny.

Increase damage of bows/xbows in game, especially the relics.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
This game has pretty mediocre reviews over at meta critic. A lot of the bigger review places seemed to be comparing it to skyrim and dragon age. It's too bad, since I'd like to see more of these turn based RPGs make a comeback. Even with all the room for inprovement in this game i am still finding it a lot of fun. Seriously who actually finds elder scrolls combat engaging and strategic? Imagine skyrims budget on a game like this, would have been amazing

spronk

FPS noob
Will I suffer using my original group? I do like melee, so was thinking of a group like Druid, Barbarian, Crusader, Bladedancer? or is Merc just as good?
there are a TON of hidden rooms and stuff in the game, so not having a caster to always have whispering shadows up is going to be a problem imo. I believe you can't even finish the game without finding some of these hidden rooms, so you'll need to buy scrolls or have a caster. Also there are at least two rooms where traps are instadeath, so having someone who can cast clairovoyance is nice. there are NPCs who can help with both I think, if worst comes to worst, but I really like having the vendor NPC (sell all yo shit to him without a town shuffle) and the dude who gives 10% xp bonus.

I don't think aoe is that big a deal, most of the time its just 1 or 2 mobs with the others behind or to the sides, its rare to really be aoeing 3 or 4 at a time. There are a couple fights where the incoming damage is massive so having multiple people who can heal and shield is quite useful, thats really the only thing I think you have to think about on a melee vs caster party - on those its enough for me to have 2 always attacking, 1 casting renew, and 1 casting shields but with 4 mages you can last forever as you rotate mana pot consumption. Gold becomes trivial after 15, I'm at over 300k and I spent tons on everything so don't worry about pot and spell costs.

it would be insane if people could make mods that recreate entire D&D dungeon campaigns, but I don't expect that to be realistic. wasn't NWN supposed to do that kinda stuff?

Crone

there are a TON of hidden rooms and stuff in the game, so not having a caster to always have whispering shadows up is going to be a problem imo. I believe you can't even finish the game without finding some of these hidden rooms, so you'll need to buy scrolls or have a caster. Also there are at least two rooms where traps are instadeath, so having someone who can cast clairovoyance is nice. there are NPCs who can help with both I think, if worst comes to worst, but I really like having the vendor NPC (sell all yo shit to him without a town shuffle) and the dude who gives 10% xp bonus.

I don't think aoe is that big a deal, most of the time its just 1 or 2 mobs with the others behind or to the sides, its rare to really be aoeing 3 or 4 at a time. There are a couple fights where the incoming damage is massive so having multiple people who can heal and shield is quite useful, thats really the only thing I think you have to think about on a melee vs caster party - on those its enough for me to have 2 always attacking, 1 casting renew, and 1 casting shields but with 4 mages you can last forever as you rotate mana pot consumption. Gold becomes trivial after 15, I'm at over 300k and I spent tons on everything so don't worry about pot and spell costs.

it would be insane if people could make mods that recreate entire D&D dungeon campaigns, but I don't expect that to be realistic. wasn't NWN supposed to do that kinda stuff?
Could my druid act as the secret finder? or is that Freemage only? because my original group does have a Druid in it.

Vaclav

Blessing of Shadow is permanent secret passage detection - it's not THAT necessary to have it in the longrun. Certainly nice to have though.

Crone: Whispering Shadows is Dark Magic - so I don't think Druid can. (Not sure who can get Dark off my head, and not loading it up to check ATM)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Crone on your group question, both are good I've played similar stuff. The 4mages setup hit a really bad spot between like 16 and 22 or so, basically the start of act3 where I couldn't find mobs that were easy to kill and had to do shit like sleeping every mob but one every pull and having to rest every fight and sometimes drink potions to finish the fights. It got better as I leveled up and eventually I was tearing shit apart again but it was a lot less consistent than I thought it would be, spells seems to get resisted more often than you miss attacks(as long as you max your weapon skills that is, but without the need for perception at all). In lategame it's fairly disgusting though once you have the GM shit and the big spells, like the last dungeon I'm killing those rooms with 10-15mobs coming from all directions in a dozen of rounds cause I just aoe everything. But at the same time I also remember when I had to melee facehuggers with 15dmg hits 1 by 1 or when I went through 20mana potions in a single encounter when I was going to the Crag.

Other group is similar to what I ran(I had a freemage for healing and a ranger instead of BD but I'd definitely go BD instead if I had to redo since being a ranger added nothing). Sure there's no aoe but shit blows up quickly with single target in that group so it didn't really matter much. Overall I'd say that was a more constant experience, it wasn't faceroll but it wasn't particularily hard either and having a freemage definitely made some of the shit harder than it should have since they're squishy motherfuckers. No secret detection kinda sucks and the scrolls are expensive as fuck when playing on warrior, but since most secrets are just more gold, you're really only breaking even most of the time so no big deal, and eventually you get permanent secret detection anyway(but it's pretty late).

Crone

Is it a problem if I've dumped all my points into Daggers, for my BD, but want to switch swords so I can hit GM swords sooner? I don't get those points back, so does that really hurt me, or since because I've already committed to daggers, I might as well continue with it?

Caliane

Is it a problem if I've dumped all my points into Daggers, for my BD, but want to switch swords so I can hit GM swords sooner? I don't get those points back, so does that really hurt me, or since because I've already committed to daggers, I might as well continue with it?
pyros said he beat the game at about level 31 iirc.
so, you have about 90 points to work with total.

yeah, daggers AND swords is pretty much a waste. how much depends on how much you invested, and if you still have enough points to get what you really want by the end.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it's not like going to ruin the character, but it'll be weaker since it's wasted points you could have in dodge or endurance, and it'll delay the time it takes you to get to double GM. If you've only done the lighthouse I would reroll, takes like an hour to get back to that point including killing most of the shit outside.

On the level yeah expect 30 to 32 depending on wether or not you use the hireling that gives 10% xp and how many sidequests you do, however you get like 4levels in the last dungeon cause it's full of elites and tons of mobs so you should expect to finish your build a bit sooner than that.

Crone

Well it's not like going to ruin the character, but it'll be weaker since it's wasted points you could have in dodge or endurance, and it'll delay the time it takes you to get to double GM. If you've only done the lighthouse I would reroll, takes like an hour to get back to that point including killing most of the shit outside.

On the level yeah expect 30 to 32 depending on wether or not you use the hireling that gives 10% xp and how many sidequests you do, however you get like 4levels in the last dungeon cause it's full of elites and tons of mobs so you should expect to finish your build a bit sooner than that.
Excellent info, thanks a lot everyone.

So given that I'm rerolling, as I think that's a good idea, and exactly as you said, after having done it twice, it should only take about an hour to get to the Lighthouse again, what would be the best mixed group to go with.

Druid as healer? Or go Freemage for the secret detection? Or RP because he's a bad ass. haha. I'm leaning towards Freemage, for the utility.

I like the idea of a Crusader for backup heals, and still melee.

Barbarian instead of Merc for big 2 handed damage which I like?

Then Bladedancer , and will go GM swords.

Crazily

N00b
Excellent info, thanks a lot everyone.

So given that I'm rerolling, as I think that's a good idea, and exactly as you said, after having done it twice, it should only take about an hour to get to the Lighthouse again, what would be the best mixed group to go with.

Druid as healer? Or go Freemage for the secret detection? Or RP because he's a bad ass. haha. I'm leaning towards Freemage, for the utility.

I like the idea of a Crusader for backup heals, and still melee.

Barbarian instead of Merc for big 2 handed damage which I like?

Then Bladedancer , and will go GM swords.
Damn man, over analyze much!!?

Pick your party based on what you want to play. Variety is nice, just make sure u have 2 healers IMO and go with whatever you think sounds FUN.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The mage is really a matter of taste, Freemage is more versatile as it can do a lot of shit, but it won't do anything well. That said if you GM light the crusader fairly early and use it decently as a support it'll work out fine, that's what I did at least. It is however annoying as shit to play since you need to open your spellbook constantly on the freemage to cast all your shit. You kinda want expert is almost everything so you get the cool buffs, then you basically become a buffbot+healer, shouldn't expect much dmg from that character. I made mine GM Prime though, get the Hour of Power buff and the Destiny buff to a high value/duration, as well as Arcane Ward to a good level, shit's pretty great to buff the rest of your group.

Druid is a much stronger healer and as such can basically solo heal, as long as you equip a paralysis ring(and potentially feeblemind too but you can always pot that). You can GM both earth and water and get insane damage reduction, so much that you can basically ignore any defenses other than health on the rest of the group. GM water liquid membrane is 25%dmg reduction for 9turns, stoneskin is 25armor for 9turns. Even with just membrane you can generally not have to heal during most of the fights so you can just DPS or do whatever.

Runepriest is the more defensive healer, equip the relic shield from the cartography quest which you can get as soon as you open act2 and he's insanely tanky so that it's very unlikely he'll die to anything in one turn other than spellcrits, which can be remedied by giving him all the resist barrels and potions. Dwarves also get naturally higher health pools due to vit scaling racial. You could go Light+Fire and get good damage too with strong heals, however it's not as hands off as the druid, you need to heal every other turn since you don't have any defensive buffs. You could go holy+earth but that's kinda pointless to go runepriest for that, might as well play druid then.

As for barb over merc, I'd probably do it I've already played a merc, it's not awful but it's not great. I'd do spear barb instead. Don't like hammer bonus and the 2H mace relic is in the last dungeon so it's kinda shitty.

Crone

Damn man, over analyze much!!?

Pick your party based on what you want to play. Variety is nice, just make sure u have 2 healers IMO and go with whatever you think sounds FUN.
I could over analyze some more, and talk to you about my personal definition of fun, and and how it does not include feeling the whole game like I F'ed up the party, and could be doing some much better if I had just done X or Y in the beginning. lol

But the same stupid shit I've done in this thread, and talked about is exactly why I never got more than an hour into Skyrim before I was like hell no.
frown.png

The mage is really a matter of taste, Freemage is more versatile as it can do a lot of shit, but it won't do anything well. That said if you GM light the crusader fairly early and use it decently as a support it'll work out fine, that's what I did at least. It is however annoying as shit to play since you need to open your spellbook constantly on the freemage to cast all your shit. You kinda want expert is almost everything so you get the cool buffs, then you basically become a buffbot+healer, shouldn't expect much dmg from that character. I made mine GM Prime though, get the Hour of Power buff and the Destiny buff to a high value/duration, as well as Arcane Ward to a good level, shit's pretty great to buff the rest of your group.

Druid is a much stronger healer and as such can basically solo heal, as long as you equip a paralysis ring(and potentially feeblemind too but you can always pot that). You can GM both earth and water and get insane damage reduction, so much that you can basically ignore any defenses other than health on the rest of the group. GM water liquid membrane is 25%dmg reduction for 9turns, stoneskin is 25armor for 9turns. Even with just membrane you can generally not have to heal during most of the fights so you can just DPS or do whatever.

Runepriest is the more defensive healer, equip the relic shield from the cartography quest which you can get as soon as you open act2 and he's insanely tanky so that it's very unlikely he'll die to anything in one turn other than spellcrits, which can be remedied by giving him all the resist barrels and potions. Dwarves also get naturally higher health pools due to vit scaling racial. You could go Light+Fire and get good damage too with strong heals, however it's not as hands off as the druid, you need to heal every other turn since you don't have any defensive buffs. You could go holy+earth but that's kinda pointless to go runepriest for that, might as well play druid then.

As for barb over merc, I'd probably do it I've already played a merc, it's not awful but it's not great. I'd do spear barb instead. Don't like hammer bonus and the 2H mace relic is in the last dungeon so it's kinda shitty.
Thank you Pyros very much for breaking it all down for me. Very much appreciated.

Going to roll up Druid, Crusader, BD, and Spear Barb.
smile.png

Vaclav

Was just looking at the Achievements on UPlay - apparently L40 must be possible because it's an achievement to get L40 in a single playthrough.

No clue how though, I ended up at 30-31 as well with the 10% XP guy permanently in the party pretty much.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You can have 20% bonus to exp, theres the quest guy that you can pick up starting in Seahaven I think, and then there's an actual 10% guy you can hire, I think I got him in Karthal. So I was running at 20% gain for a good while until some quests made me take a certain NPC and I lost my henchman and was too lazy to go back and find him.

Even still, an extra 20% isn't going to get you 10 extra levels. I think the only way to get level 40 would maybe be to play the entire game with only 2 or 3 party members(leave one perma-dead). I assume that the overall exp of killing a mob is just divided by the # of living party members, because you definitely don't get any exp if you're dead or unconscious when a mob dies.

So if that works in that manner, going from getting 25% exp split 4 ways to 33.3% split 3 ways is a 33% gain in exp per person. That might be enough to get you from ending at level 32-33 to 40...maybe

Vaclav

Definitely doesn't adjust for party members with quests math on monsters is fuzzy as heck though.