Mighty No. 9 - Megaman Spiritual Successor

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What can they sue for? This isn't a Megaman game. It's a Mighty No 9 game.

Hinadurus_sl

shitlord
Been following the kickstarter progress via this thread. I'm getting pretty excited for this to come around. The interest it has garnered is amazing. I don't know about Capcom and legal crap, but I really can't imagine them starting this huge project without having their ass(ets) covered first.

I wonder at what point a company can sue for similarities between games. Think of all the WoW clones, puzzle games, zombie games, fps..

I don't deny it looks like mega-man, but just musing over when a company would take action. Aside from all that, I am SO thrilled its going next gen. I'm actually getting a ps4 on launch and I didn't do that with any other console aside from the Wii.. which sucked.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
What can they sue for? This isn't a Megaman game. It's a Mighty No 9 game.
A sidescrolling platformer about a blue robot (whose silhouette is identical to Megaman's) whose arm turns into a blaster, who must defeat robot bosses to acquire their weapons, and who has a female sidekick (who, in at least one of the possible designs, also looks pretty damn similar to Roll), with the names of the two characters combining to make a small pun? Yeah, not seeing the potential copyright infringement here.

Haven't been following this one super closely, have they mentioned the main character having a robot dog yet?

xrg

Golden Squire
No robot dog yet, but one of the stretch goals hit was a "support character." Rush would be kind of redundant since Beck (main character) can already transform. It wouldn't surprise me if they did give him a dog anyway given the fan service of the other designs.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
If anyone cares, this game came out as a playable beta on steam today. You can get in if you were emailed a pass key.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Man I don't know how the rights are gonna be okay for this game. They've even got a bot that looks just like Zero.
I thought they got the IP owner's blessing before even doing the kickstarter? Maybe I'm misremembering.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I thought they got the IP owner's blessing before even doing the kickstarter? Maybe I'm misremembering.
It's done by the guy that created Megaman, so maybe he has some creative rights where he can use his concepts, but I doubt it because that's not normally how things work.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I think everyone is forgetting this is Japanese company and this is a Japanese creator. You do not fuck with your Sensei. It just isn't done. If he wants to go on and make something similar to the thing he taught you how to make, that is fine, Godspeed.

Not everyone has the American mindset about IP.

EDIT: Actual real example: Quest, Tactics Ogre. Guys leaves Quest, goes to Square, makes FFT. No one says anything about it. There are countless examples of this in Japanese game making.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Interesting this was bumped, was watching a guy play some of this on twitch the other night, turned out it was the last boss. Anyways he spent the next ten minutes cussing out the developer and all the Kickstarter backers. Was this that bad? I had forgotten it existed and only watched the steam because I was excited to remember it was out.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I was a backer, but I haven't even played it yet. I haven't purchased a TV in Hawaii yet, so my PS4 is getting no usage right now.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
How bad can this be for 30$, I got it.

Lack of charging up the buster already making me go hmm.