Minecraft

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
You guys ever heard of 2b2t?

It looks like horrible horrible aids/fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
My daughter and her friends love minecraft as second graders, so after like 7 years I finally gave it a try. Its fun. Granted we just play on switch right now, she loves making random cities and stuff.

Decided to pull my desktop out of storage and clean/fix it (i7-2600k and 970GTX, super old and dead cpu cooler fan and 1 HD) but she's excited to play Java edition and watch me play mods like RLCraft lol.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hey guys, so I've somehow been able to avoid Minecraft my entire life, and know nothing about it, but not the case for my near 8-year-old. He's asking to play it, and wants to join up on a server with other people. He's been able to figure these things out from Youtube videos, that it's at least possible, so now he wants to do it.

Do you usually just join 1 server that someone is hosting, find a remote spot, and start building? Can someone come over and destroy it? If he wants to play with other people, and not deal with trolls, do you just have to join a server of people you know, otherwise, it's a crapshoot? Thanks for the help!

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Hey guys, so I've somehow been able to avoid Minecraft my entire life, and know nothing about it, but not the case for my near 8-year-old. He's asking to play it, and wants to join up on a server with other people. He's been able to figure these things out from Youtube videos, that it's at least possible, so now he wants to do it.

Do you usually just join 1 server that someone is hosting, find a remote spot, and start building? Can someone come over and destroy it? If he wants to play with other people, and not deal with trolls, do you just have to join a server of people you know, otherwise, it's a crapshoot? Thanks for the help!

Yes if he wants to build and explore should just play single player unless he is playing with people he knows. There are thousands of people hosting servers and I'm sure some are running custom rules but basic minecraft would offer no protection.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

He can play a single player game safely, you can host a server locally and allow others to login, you can join a public server w different rule sets, you can pay for your own public server, or you can pay to join a more aggressively moderated server.

There’s tons of options honestly. The free options aren’t automatically full of trolls. Most public server hosts want a fun environment.

I haven’t interacted w it in the last five years though, so things could’ve changed, but I doubt it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
He can play a single player game safely, you can host a server locally and allow others to login, you can join a public server w different rule sets, you can pay for your own public server, or you can pay to join a more aggressively moderated server.

There’s tons of options honestly. The free options aren’t automatically full of trolls. Most public server hosts want a fun environment.

I haven’t interacted w it in the last five years though, so things could’ve changed, but I doubt it.
Nice. I figure there would be different types of servers ranging the whole gamut. I gotta figure out what he wants to do with other people. I think he's got it in his head that he'll be able to hop into a game, and immediately start telling people what to do and what he wants to build... he loves to control a situation. LOL Might have to have a conversation about it with him.

• 1Truth!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

So me and my son and daughter play on a Minecraft Realms server I purchased. It's a product offered by Mojang and run through the default client. I think it's like $10 per month? You could buy that and have them invite their friends. This way you're in control of who is allowed on.

This is just for the survival or creative server experience. No crazy mods on this one.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I've been playing with my kids (9 and 6) for a while on a self-hosted server. We basically run vanilla rules with some minor quality of life concessions and technical optimizations. I just finished a surprise project for them. The tree is hollow and we're going to build a base that winds in and out with external balconies. It's placed directly over an End portal and there's an underground cavern where we're going to build a hub for accessing all three dimensions and a villager trading hall and shared storage facilities. The Nether side will have transport lanes to our item farms.

(For reference, the tree alone is about 100 blocks tall and contains on the order of 35,000 placed blocks. This was all done in survival mode.)

2021-01-18_09.51.45.png

Last edited:
  • 10Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Captain Suave

Another project down.

I run the server for my kids on a gimpy old Celeron-powered Intel NUC from 2008. It gets the job done, but only barely, and starts to choke when we have >4 players simultaneously. One source of overhead in Minecraft is the spawn chunks, which are an area of the world where the players spawn in upon creation. For some reason, the server is coded to keep these chunks active with operational mob spawning and AI, etc., even if there are no players in the vicinity. To reduce the load on the server and free up CPU to be applied elsewhere in the world, I built a TNT carpet bombing flying machine (not my design) and took a 23x23 chunk area down to bedrock. That's roughly 11 million blocks removed given the local land height, which took about 10 hours to run after building the machine. (As a bonus, it can run layer by layer allowing you to pick up minerals. I netted 1,000+ diamonds.) Next up, I flood the bottom with water so nothing can spawn, rendering those chunks effectively dead. This can also be a good home for golem-based iron farms or other such things that you might want running 24/7.

Edit: After spawn-proofing the bottom layer, my server runs about 25% faster.

2021-02-02_11.38.30.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For how massive Minecraft is in popularity, they put out content at almost a Blizzard pace. It's pretty criminal, imho.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
You guys know how to recover an OLD minecraft purchase? I bought this so long ago it was from the guy that actually developed it and after Microsoft acquired minecraft I have no idea how or if I can actually play this now.

I'm not above piracy.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
You guys know how to recover an OLD minecraft purchase? I bought this so long ago it was from the guy that actually developed it and after Microsoft acquired minecraft I have no idea how or if I can actually play this now.

I'm not above piracy.
Depending on whether or not you remember your email used then, you should be able to do a password recovery?

• 1Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Depending on whether or not you remember your email used then, you should be able to do a password recovery?
Apparently account migration is on hold for old old minecraft accounts, but it's good to know that you can recover the accounts. Thanks!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Apparently account migration is on hold for old old minecraft accounts, but it's good to know that you can recover the accounts. Thanks!
Yea, I remember having some difficulties when they switched minecraft to mojang accounts, and needed to reset the password first.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Mine's an old migrated alpha account. I think we started with usernames and not emails back then?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I wonder if there gonna add some kind of smoothing effects for the new biome transition's, or if it's gonna be like modded and you'll be able too tell when new mods were added to older worlds rofl..

Captain Suave

My kids and I will just roll a new world when this releases. Anything we're not willing to rebuild there are tools to paste in relatively painlessly.