Minecraft

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
don't know if official but supposedly there is just going a wall of bedrock under old chunks. was hoping it would be fill, even just solid stone would be better.
Yea, generated chunks are never modified when the world generation changes. Just filling with air upward and bedrock downward is simple, because everything else might have already been modified/incorporated in a building design...

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I was going to wait for the next update, but I think I'm just going to start up a new single player world so I can finally do a Ender Dragon run. When the next update comes up, I'll just reset the parts of the world I never used.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
For how massive Minecraft is in popularity, they put out content at almost a Blizzard pace. It's pretty criminal, imho.
They are putting it out too fast for the modding community now though. 1.12 was the old standard, now they are scrambling to agree on another, with 1.16 looking to be the one most decided on...but with changes like this, I can see modders wanting to wait even longer. Sucks if you like playing anything but vanilla, which I do, because I get super bored with vanilla anymore. I'm enjoying Enigmatica 6 right now, but too many mods are still missing for them to do an Expert pack, and now I'm afraid they'll all just abandon the current version too. Who doesn't want 64 more depth to the world? Can do tons of cool shit with that I'm sure.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I don't think I can ever play vanilla Minecraft again.

I started a world using the "Create" mod, and it's fucking awesome. Think Factorio in Minecraft. You build steampunk engines or devices that capture rotational power (windmills, water wheels, etc.) and systems of shafts, gears, and belts that can manipulate and manufacture items and effect blocks. There are moblie drill, saw, and pully blocks, and an entire system for making custom vehicles on carts (think horizontal boring machines, loggers, or whatever).

In the shots below I have a two-axis vertical excavator for mining down to bedrock and a configurable crushing/smelting system that uses Create's new machines and recipes to extract metals and other byproducts from processing cobblestone and its derivatives. This setup can generate iron, clay, and bonemeal from cobbles in addtion to processing ores and automatically stamping them into ingots.

It's all wonderfully animated and looks totally fitting. They're only on version 0.3, but it's feature-complete as far as what is currently in the mod.

2021-02-20_18.54.27.png
2021-02-20_18.52.13.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Captain Suave

The new biomes in the 1.18 snapshots are looking pretty cool. My kids are stoked and want to start a new world when it releases.

• 2Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've come to realize I have absolutely zero artistic/architectural aptitude. I start a new pack, usually one with quests so I have some sort of goal, and inevitably end up with either a hole in a wall or a couple of shitty structures for my base. I can't make an even remotely interesting base to save my life. I'm not even talking about the people that use chisels and bits and such to make cool corners and arches and shit, because even if you took those off they would still look far better than my base.

Sometimes I get some grand idea for a base, and then give up because it is just way more work than I am willing to put in, and also because I can't stand having to run all over to do shit; I want it all right nearby if it isn't automated.

How do people get good ideas that are also reasonable in terms of time to build?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

How do people get good ideas that are also reasonable in terms of time to build?

I'm not above shamelessly copying stuff. There are free world downloads you can find with damn near anything built better than I could, and then tools like Litematica that will allow you to build it relatively easily from an imported schematic as long as you have the right blocks.

Personally, I don't have much of an artistic touch either and have more fun building transport networks, farms, etc, and creating an infinite supply of whatever I need. (For whatever reason, "earning" it feels better than playing Creative.)

Plus, anything I make will turn out better than my kid's shit, like my daughter's "cat-stle" made of nothing but gold, pink wool, and 10,000 cats to lag everything to hell.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

my render distance is shit, but this is my base
8-26-2021_9-30-45_PM-srrqhjf0.png

sorta of a take on Orthanc/Saruman tower. rebuilt it 3 times, still don't like it. think when world height goes up, will try it again. what sucks, the water around it goes all the way to bedrock, took me like a month to get it all source blocks and will probably remove it.

can see little ramp going down on the SE bridge, that leads to my storage

8-26-2021_9-30-57_PM-cp0ugzwo.png

wasn't supposed to be that big, ended up with something over 4000 barrels. still not finished, but have not worked on it in like 6+ months.

8-26-2021_9-31-22_PM-iwywccrf.png

my take on the Ziggurat of Ur, started it during the 1st lock down. it seriously needs some contrasting colors and lighting.

8-26-2021_9-31-10_PM-4g1pfuvp.png

inside the ziggurat, there is a librarian trader village in the middle of all that. and of course it isn't done. walls need lighting and some type of designs. will piddle around and figure out something to do, then work out will need 10,000+ blocks to do it and give up. lol

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Captain Suave

Minecraft 1.18, Caves and Cliffs pt 2, released yesterday. Some of the features (warder and the deep dark) got pushed to next year in 1.19, but the new world generation and expanded y-axis are cool.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
do you have to start a new world for all the updates or will they be there in worlds made before the new update?

• 1Moron

Captain Suave

do you have to start a new world for all the updates or will they be there in worlds made before the new update?

There's an upgrade process for existing worlds where they try to smoothly transition between the old and new biome mapping, plus fill in under the existing world floor where you haven't already removed the bedrock. I haven't tried it myself. YouTube has plenty of guides. Make a backup, try it yourself, and see if it appeals.

My kids wanted to start over with the new terrain. They saw a seed with a pretty cool-looking spawn area that we're currently colonizing.

1638393545783.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Been playing the latest update. The
1.18 update really changed how I play with the massive cave systems. And I mean massive. Almost like an underground biome.

Building bases in these caves is super fun.

Araxen

I've recently started up a 1.18 SP Minecraft World, and I've always wondered about this. How do people plan out their building designs? I always end up with some generic box home, because I don't plan anything. I wanted to build something way more interesting either I'm too uncreative or there is a way to plan things out better.

Goatface

I've recently started up a 1.18 SP Minecraft World, and I've always wondered about this. How do people plan out their building designs? I always end up with some generic box home, because I don't plan anything. I wanted to build something way more interesting either I'm too uncreative or there is a way to plan things out better.

creative. the only way to quickly test and plan stuff out. for a long time i had a world with different elements i saw online and liked, like doors, windows etc. then build something, take a bunch of screenshots, make a bunch of notes on them and then rebuild it in my sp world.

• 1Like

Araxen

I watched this video last night. Hopefully it ups my building design skill. I make the most generic box buildings in the world. lol

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Yea, generated chunks are never modified when the world generation changes. Just filling with air upward and bedrock downward is simple, because everything else might have already been modified/incorporated in a building design...

They actually did the generation update different this time..

When upgrading the generation engine will "strip" the bedrock layers on chunks gen'd in pre-1.18 releases, deep slate and new cave system will genereate underneath this point all the way too -64, while this is going on the generator is also "smoothing" out the biome lines on the top of the world, at least it's trying too there are some biome combo's that really mess it up still lol.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fwhip is my favorite YouTuber for this

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One thing I really enjoyed years ago was playing on the Mithrintia server (Home | Mithrintia) which is now defunct. They had an extremely active creative server that, when joining, limited your ability to place things to a small plot (50x50 iirc) that you needed to build something "decent" on before you were allowed access to modify a larger plot. You could fly around and see other people's (really amazing) stuff, but could only work in your little area of the world.

This was good not only because it helped "force" new builders to add things like detail, depth etc in a very manageable area, but it also birthed literally thousands of mini-builds that you could peruse very quickly to get ideas. It's tempting to get enamored with mega-builds that are created by teams of builders who often have expertise in powerful tools, existing sources to draw from and weeks of time to implement it, but then once you try to build your own mega-build by starting big you end up with something that's flat, boring, repetitive and needs to be redone from the ground up before it's worth showing off.

So, anyway, what I'd recommend is finding a creative builder server, I have no idea what's out there for that. I also recommend starting small and trying to figure out how to add detail. If you want to build something really big, figure out the basic pieces first before trying to plan out the megabuild.

The other thing I'd recommend, which is true of art in general, is to understand what the medium is suitable for before deciding what to build. A common noob trap people run into is wanting to build stuff that can't be built with 1 meter blocks unless the scale of the build is so massive you can build clean curves with it. At some point it's like, just learn how to use Maya or Blender to create your giant statue instead of placing things one block at a time.

• 1Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Enigmatica 6 Expert was released this week. It's very good.

Forces you to use each mod in the pack instead of just skipping to the end.

• 1Like