Miniature Painting

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok got my Bomb Wick Igniter brushes! They're so much better than the ones I had. I can see now how people can do an eyeball with this. It's nice and sharp.

Anyone have a good primer on what kinds of brushes should be used for what? Meaning fine detail, base coating, mixing paint, dry brushing, putting on shades. I have a Citadel shade brush that came in the set of shaders from them for example. I get that 0 1 2 3 seems to be thickness. I get that flat is maybe for uh... certain stuff. I'd like to keep it simple as possible but if there is a basic video or post on it let me know.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I use a bomb wick 1 for base, sometimes a Citadel Layer brush. Bomb wick 1 or 0 for detail and layers. Bomb wick, Windsor and Newton, Raphial Kolinsky 0 or 00 for extreme detail and tiny highlights. Citadel base or layer depending on how thick a wash I need for applying bases or washes (they aren’t very good brushes). Cheap flat brushes of various sizes for dry brushing.

Mixing paint I use extremely shitty fully plastic brushes you get from the children’s paint kits at Michaels and Hobby lobby. Why? They don’t absorb ANY paint cause they’re fully plastic, so you don’t lose very much paint when you’re rinsing it to get the next color so you don’t contaminate your pot. If you’re using dropper bottles this isn’t as big a deal.

Shit brush for mixing pictured below.

image.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
That makes a lot of sense. Ok so I'll use my old set and the nice new ones, just for different purposes.

I found these videos helpful also:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
One of the guys I follow on Instagram released a cool app for tracking materials, hours, paint colors, etc in and android app. Looks cool but I’m iOS.

2864BD89-F82F-4095-BD2B-9023BEC57931.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
If any of yous play orks or like to scratch build anything. Dickblick.com has a great sale on styrene of 38% off most of them and another 25% if you spend $55. Oh and free shipping. I got like 140 bucks of stuff for 58 this morning.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
My painting table is coming along nicely. I'm working on #6 but she needs some work hah. Her hair looks great, but I have trouble still with skin and making it smooth and even.

Wet Palette is here! Also new brushes, and a Windsor Newton is on the way.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Today is a sad day. I finally unpacked my paints after 4yrs of moving from apartment to house to house. A fair amount of the gw paints are all dried up :(.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Today is a sad day. I finally unpacked my paints after 4yrs of moving from apartment to house to house. A fair amount of the gw paints are all dried up :(.

I have seen vids on youtube on how to get them into droppers and how the GW paint pots are shit tier. I might start doing that. Every new GW paint I buy convert to a dropper bottle, or find another paint range to use and go with them.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
I have seen vids on youtube on how to get them into droppers and how the GW paint pots are shit tier. I might start doing that. Every new GW paint I buy convert to a dropper bottle, or find another paint range to use and go with them.

Yeh I picked up the old mega paint set real cheap a long long time ago. I've watched a couple vids on restoring paints. So I'm gunna try that. And I also may puck up an army painter set on amazon.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can bring back most GW paints. I've had stuff that was 15 years old and dried out come back.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok well, number 6 is done! She looks good at a distance but up close it's clumpy or a bit dry. I'm struggling with smooth, creamy textures. Both skin tones and clothes. Maybe thinner paint? Maybe a glaze at the end?

In any case here she is!

Seer.png

• 3Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I went and tried some specific flesh shade, thinned it out more than usual and I think it helped with my latest attempt. We will see!

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok Im convinced it's the consistency of my paint. I'm actually thinking it's too thinned. I'm gonna try to recreate what Sorastro is doing in these videos. He does a good job of showing exactly what he's up to.

Looks like Vallejo paint and a bit thinned. I've been using mostly Reaper MSP paint which starts out a bit thinner, and then adding water to that. So that might be my problem.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yup I think I was over thinning. Here is a WIP of my newest one. I re-did just her face (and that brown sash) in lightly thinned Vallejo Flat Brown and lightly thinned Reaper Fair Skin. You can see how much smoother her face looks in this while her armor is all blotchy and runny:

Untitled design.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
Yup I think I was over thinning. Here is a WIP of my newest one. I re-did just her face (and that brown sash) in lightly thinned Vallejo Flat Brown and lightly thinned Reaper Fair Skin. You can see how much smoother her face looks in this while her armor is all blotchy and runny:

Nice progress man! Have you screwed around with any of the Citadel shades yet? They're awesome for ezmode shading.

I just redid this Hyena mini I had for ages since someone in the party reeally wanted their character to begin with a Tan Bag of Tricks. Seems a little OP for their noob campaign but ah well they don't really have a healer and the barbarian isn't much of a tank yet.

hyena.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Believe it or not, I'm getting better at painting. I'm a bit impatient still but I'm getting better.

Here is number 7! Female Ranger. She even has pupils in her eyes.

FER Back.png

FER Front.png

FER Side.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
It needed a wash for sure... here it is post Nuln Oil / Reikland Fleshshade!

Wash FER back.png

Wash FER side.png

Wash FER.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Been mostly painting terrain for dnd this weekend but did print up and paint a few baddies here is one of 2 goblin shaman/wizard. Short on time so this is about a 30 min paint job with no sanding. I'll post the terrain after I set it up for the game this weekend.

20190731_221121.jpg
20190731_221301.jpg
20190731_221322.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I love that moon staff that's awesome.

Speaking of fun mini's, I'm gonna get some stuff from crooked dice I think. I saw someone painting Slythe from Thundercats. Then again might still do that LotR set that Sorastro did. Or a Storm Trooper. Or a Space Marine. Fuck this hobby is kinda crazy.

• 1Solidarity