Miniature Painting

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah man. You start seeing all these cool things people do and you want to try it, distracting from main projects, and your WIP just grows and grows. At least mine does, I don’t have a ton of time for it. Nice progress you’re making.

Anyways Turbodork has an additional 15% off everything during Gencon, so til Sunday. I have a couple metallic colors, will probably pick up a couple more and a color shift or two. Their paints are fucking awesome, and they are on a new formula now for slightly better consistency out of the bottle. The discount will show up in your cart automatically.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
That wash nailed it Dashel Dashel nice work.

Hateyou Hateyou good lookin on the sale tip, glad I procrastinated! Picking up 6 bottles. I'm considering redoing my Remorhaz with them.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
My current to do list.. before it gets any bigger: One Reaper Bones Dwarf I've been meaning to paint, mostly for more practice. Two Hero Forge Mini's I want to do. Finally, I bought a Warhammer 40k Space Marines Intercessors starter kit. Came with 3 guys, 6 paints and a brush! Brush is crappy but I'm still glad to get it. I've never done the Games Workshop deal where you cut them off the sprues and put them together. Looks simple enough in this case. Gotta find some clippers. Or I guess I could use an exacto knife.

20190803_185057.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My current to do list.. before it gets any bigger: One Reaper Bones Dwarf I've been meaning to paint, mostly for more practice. Two Hero Forge Mini's I want to do. Finally, I bought a Warhammer 40k Space Marines Intercessors starter kit. Came with 3 guys, 6 paints and a brush! Brush is crappy but I'm still glad to get it. I've never done the Games Workshop deal where you cut them off the screws and put them together. Looks simple enough in this case. Gotta find some clippers. Or I guess I could use an exacto knife.

View attachment 217635

Snip them off the sprue with snips, then clean it up with the exacto knife. Scrape backwards with the blade to smooth it down. Trying to cut through sprues with an exacto knife will end in a disaster of gouged plastic and bloody hands.

Rustark 9Pcs Gundam Model Tools Kit Hobby Building Tools Craft Set for Basic Model Building, Repairing and Fixing

• 2Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Flexible sanding sticks can help clean up flash, the excess plastic that is left on the models after molding, in places your knife can't reach.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I definitely dig that Buffalo! And the Base! I really need to do a decent base soon. I just slap them on a round black disc and done.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok so here is Mini number 8! Fulumbar the Dwarven Warrior. I will probably add some highlights to his beard... and was contemplating dry brush the black fur, but not sure if that would look good? White or silver dry brush maybe?

I'm pretty happy with him so far! He's actually got white eyes with a black iris/pupil. I even did red eyebrows.

Anyway here he is:

Dwarf Warrior 1 smaller.png

Dwarf Warrior 2 smaller.png

Dwarf Warrior 3.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Try highlighting the fur with Incubi darkness, or some another dark blue like that. If you want further highlights then go with a lighter blue/grey. It gives it some depth that looks like black actually looks. Look closely at my buffalos nose and her mask. Those were black/incubi darkness/the fang paint layers then drakkenhoff nightshade wash. Even when you’re putting the fang (light blue/grey) on you’re like fuck this looks bright on black. The shade brings it all back down though.

Her boots are the same but it isn’t coming through in the picture.

White is too much contrast, it will look really splotchy.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So do any of you guys use the reaper paints? I see their big 100+ bottle sets for like 200is on ebay.

Yep, they are good paints. I use citadel, Vallejo, reaper, army painter, green stuff world, turbodork.

I tried scale 75 but the consistency is fucking weird. I haven’t been able to use them successfully.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Do those handle-things really help? I've considered getting one but I've been on the fence about it.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Do those handle-things really help? I've considered getting one but I've been on the fence about it.

That specific one? Doesn't matter. Does having a painting handle of some variety help? Tremendously. There are many ways to go about getting one depending on your budget and what you are willing to spend.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Attaching the mini to something helps yes. I prefer Hobby Holder because you can have a bunch of minis attached to caps and switch them out really fast, helps with batch painting. It also has a below hand attachment like the citadel one, but also an upward handle that rotated around. If found that to be very useful for detail work because you can hold it a lot of different ways and brace it so it’s not shaking. It’s just really versatile.

Before I got that I just used to stick my minis to the tops of old prescription bottles. It work but I was constantly knocking them over since they’re top heavy and tall. I eventually moved to caps from scotch guard bottles. They have an inner rim that fits perfectly onto water bottle caps, so I could paint them, then stick it on top of a bottle for something to hold when I spray seal them. I don’t use them when painting anymore but I still have them next to my spray booth and use them for sealing still.

1565097278046.png

There’s other stuff people use too like wine corks. There are holders made specifically to hold wine corks for that purpose.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Ty for the input folks. I wound up picking up the reaper master series core set #1 on ebay for a smooth $179

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nice! I really like the Reaper paints. Reaper and Vallejo for paints, Citadel for washes. Although I have not tried Citadel paints just yet so we will see. Also those contrast paints from Citadel look cool.

I did the dry brush on my Dwarf and hit him with some highlights on his beard. I'm happy with him! Probably should have done more blue on him, but I'm gonna call it done for now.

20190806_151054.jpg
20190806_151103.jpg

And here is my collection. Including the one my daughter did, and the couple I got that were already painted on the bottom. I've painted all 8 on the top 2 shelves.

20190806_151247.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nice, glad the cloak turned out. Looks good.

You can also experiment doing that same technic but washing with Agrax earthshade, or other brown wash instead of blue. Similar effect in the end but it’s a warmer look because the wash brings out the browns in the colors rather than the cooler blues.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Space Marine! Work in Progress, this is the base coat. Love this blue.

67799578_10216914684132691_8240108745531588608_n.jpg
67945092_10216914684412698_737868603994406912_n.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users