Miniature Painting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hey so what are the big sites for this hobby? In terms of I guess best gear and what people are into. I'm just becoming aware of sites like spikeybits.com and dakkadakka.com for example. Are there others people like to check out to kinda plug into the hobby?
Most of the big sites out there are AIDS and rumors, the best stuff is on instagram and YouTube where you can find smaller really good tutorial sites, the best of the best are probably behind patreon, but I wont pay for that so I cant say much.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I really only do Instagram. It’s the only social media I have ever had and it’s strictly for painting/gaming. I’ve found a lot of tutorials and examples and product reviews that I haven’t really felt the need to seek out a site specific to the hobby.

If I need to learn a technique there’s a YouTube video for everything you could ask for already out there. I joined one dudes patreon just to see what it was about and it’s just tutorials you can get for free from other people, so canceled the next day, never had to pay anything. Good for those guys but no thanks, I’m just not smitten enough by any one painter I feel the need to give them money. There are some amazing ones out there, but I just follow them on IG, feels more community that way.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That is helpful! I will join instagram.

Beer.gamer is a fun dude. Super_Sarah1313 is good for product reviews and doesn’t gain followers from posting selfies like some female painters. Metalsasmedium does some great true metallic stuff. Miniaturesvault is good for finding random people, they post other people’s work.

Then there’s the top level people like angel_giraldez, a.demidov, samsonosmos, daemonrich, miniacal_, shoeshiesminis, kaha.katarzyna.gorska, darcy_bono_creations, sergiocalvominiatures

Once you follow some of those people you’ll get suggestions for other similar people. I try to follow people with different styles and specialties to see a variety of stuff.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Heresy-online.net was good for chaos and thewaagh.com was amazing for orks. I think the waaagh just came down though. Hopefully it'll be back soon.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Discord communities are great as well. For instance on the Judgement discord the pro painters there answer questions all the time and people are always giving good c and c on your work.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
There is actually a pretty good community on twitch too, used to paint alot watching pros on twitch walking through their process, send pics of my stuff ask questions

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Storm Trooper!
This guy was my first spray primed mini. I used white rustoleum. Very happy with it!
First guy I used Citadel's Corax white. Apparently I did not thin it enough ha. I'm finding out now its notorious for needing tho be thinned significantly.

20190830_201507.jpg

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nice work Dashel Dashel . I think it’s time you attempted some basing! Pick up some grass tufts and thin cork, you can go a long way with just that, and it ups your look a lot.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks guys . Excellent suggestions. I have some grass tufts home, cork is a great idea. I'm gonna prioritize basing next.

So next mini I'll zenithal prime and give the whole team a cool base.

I might also delve into terrain. Just a bit for displaying them. We will see.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
My go to is Citadel, but the pots can be annoying to deal with. I also like Vallejo, Reaper, Army painter and they are all dropper. I’d suggest just going to amazon and search for starter kits by those brands and pick one you can afford and like the colors for. Army Painter has some nice big starter kits. Citadel has good ones as well but they aren’t as large so you’ll end up buying two or three different starter kits to get a similar amount of colors as the Army Painter one.

Citadel metallics kinda suck, not sure about the other brands metallics. My go to for metallics and colorshifts is Turbodork followed by Green Stuff World.

The type of paint is acrylics.

Do these paints typically mix well, to create new colors? And what do you do for base coats and final seal coats (to dull/shine, protect)?

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Do these paints typically mix well, to create new colors? And what do you do for base coats and final seal coats (to dull/shine, protect)?

Yeah as long as they are all acrylics you can mix whatever brands together. For priming I use Vallejo Black Primer, then zenithal with Vallejo Ghost (Light grey) Primer. I use gloss black primer instead if it’s going to be a metallic figure.

For example here is the paint combo I used to create the tongue color on my Phoenix.

CDBE8182-5910-4026-B1AA-B4CEDA3360AF.jpeg

1567372130572.jpeg

To seal it I use Testors Dull Coat. I also use rustoleum matte clear enamel but I’m more selective on where I use it. It has a different sheen than the testors. It’s not necessarily bad it’s just different, so when I put two figures from KDM next to each other with a different final coat, you can see a difference, it’s slightly more shiny, and seems to darken the dark colors a little more than the testors does.

You can see the difference here, rustoleum on the left, testors on the right. Either one works, and rustoleum is way way cheaper, I just don’t recommend mixing and matching if you’re super particular if they perfectly match.

7E43D737-AE69-4F35-80CE-C707F9BAF5A7.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
So, I've been busy making something for my games. Behold, dungeon tiles.
IMG_20190829_153934.jpg

3x3 tiles, xps foam and cut with a hobby knife. What a pain in the ass that was.
IMG_20190829_153734.jpg

Grid cut and a little crack added.
IMG_20190829_153926.jpg

Textured, aluminum foil owns.
IMG_20190829_174317.jpg

Prepped and ready for paint. Unfortunately this one tile was lost in an unfortunate accident involving a cat.
IMG_20190902_144735.jpg

Painted, grey with some dry brushing. If I were to do it again I would go darker with the base.
IMG_20190902_151455.jpg

Washed, ready to table.

Next up, minis. I bought a load of them from some counterfeit selling website on the mainland, I'll have them in hand tomorrow and I'll let you guys see what 30.00 USD buys in minis over on this side of the Earth.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
I've gotta say I'm super curious what that 30 bucks gunna get you lol. I bought a bunch of forge world recast once. I spent like 250 bucks but I go the entire 40k ork line minus battle wagon and big squigoth.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know I've got at minimum 40+ wererats to practice on, also bought some standard baddies like kobolds, orcs and some pc type minis. Also, 500 reaper style bases.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I've gotta say I'm super curious what that 30 bucks gunna get you lol. I bought a bunch of forge world recast once. I spent like 250 bucks but I go the entire 40k ork line minus battle wagon and big squigoth.

$30 probably gets like 50-70 minis in China is my guess.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
$30 probably gets like 50-70 minis in China is my guess.
Yeah, I just counted up the order and it's 74 minis, a 100ml bottle of Vallejo primer and a carpenter square. I'm pretty curious about the quality of the minis, they look to be decently sculpted. Guess we will find out tomorrow.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I just counted up the order and it's 74 minis, a 100ml bottle of Vallejo primer and a carpenter square. I'm pretty curious about the quality of the minis, they look to be decently sculpted. Guess we will find out tomorrow.

They’re usually pretty good. Slightly less detail than whatever they stole it from with more flashing than the original would have. Definitely got enough for table top.

• 1Like