Miniature Painting

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Awesome suggestions guys! I was thinking wet blending but now I'm gonna look at either the varnish or technical paint, with some highlights on the edges.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Now I'm gonna spend 80 bucks on paint because you made me look at this stuff =p
Oh look only 3 dollars. Oh and that one... oooh what's that? Oh I need more of that...

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Now I'm gonna spend 80 bucks on paint because you made me look at this stuff =p
Oh look only 3 dollars. Oh and that one... oooh what's that? Oh I need more of that...

Preaching to the choir!

Finished the Gigalion from Kingdom Death.

4119ACDE-BFAA-4A5C-90CB-555EA9C8CC72.jpeg
965A26A8-7B27-4E5E-A91F-9E452EEC9DFE.jpeg
6968F0DA-7D6A-481E-942D-8864422AEB3F.jpeg
39F15592-ED66-43FC-9E77-AE00719108E3.jpeg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok so here's where we are at with this dude. He's close! But he needs some touch ups. I need better definition on that yellow tabbard. I'd like better highlights oh his face and hair. Some messy spots too. I ordered some of those Turbo Dork metallic paints for the shield.

But for now... :emoji_thumbsup:

D1.jpg
D2.jpg

D3.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ok so here's where we are at with this dude. He's close! But he needs some touch ups. I need better definition on that yellow tabbard. I'd like better highlights oh his face and hair. Some messy spots too. I ordered some of those Turbo Dork metallic paints for the shield.

But for now... :emoji_thumbsup:

View attachment 223094View attachment 223095

View attachment 223096

Nice. I think a brown wash on the yellow followed up with re-highlighting it would finish it off.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Couple of non-image updates:

I feel like I stalled in progress, so I was considering following someone on patreon to sort of go through a course. Something like:

But instead, I decided there was plenty of free content that will help me just as much. I really just need more reps and practice. New plan:

1. Paint my 3rd Space Marine in the set. These are easy and I had good success with them so far.
2. I went ahead and bought the LOTR set that Sorastros has guides on. I'm going to do Aragorn and Legolas at a minimum.
3. Watched a video on how to do basic highlighting (which I am very bad at) on a Blood Angel Space Marine, so I'll buy that mini and the paints he uses and try that.

At least that's the plan for now. I have the marine base coated. More tomorrow!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know this looks like shit, but I feel obligated to post it here for your amusement.

IMG_20190919_153239.jpg

I mean, for the cost of a ping pong ball and some other misc household trash I think I can make a workable beholder out of it.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I know this looks like shit, but I feel obligated to post it here for your amusement.

View attachment 223558

I mean, for the cost of a ping pong ball and some other misc household trash I think I can make a workable beholder out of it.

Everything starts out looking like shit. I follow some terrain builders and have seen some amazing stuff, even things I could see movie studios using as film props.

Keep posting progress on this guy, I’d like to see how PingPong the Beholder turns out.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Totally agree everything looks so much different after a few coats. There's a beholder explosion seems like! Lots of people posting them. Very cool.

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
Gotta start somewhere man, that's awesome that you're going for it! I agree, keep us updated on the progress.

I have a pipe dream of having enough free time to wire LEDs into a 3D printed Death Tyrant skull. Someday!

Closest thing I've seen to my idea would be this video at around 0:45:

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So have any of you guys ever bought a recast? I've wanted a gargantuan squigoth forever. But my wife would murder me lol.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
So have any of you guys ever bought a recast? I've wanted a gargantuan squigoth forever. But my wife would murder me lol.
Post up a pic of what you're looking for, I may be able to find it. Found a shop that has some positively ancient Warhammer stuff all shoved into the back of shelves and covered in dust.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So i was watxhing a yputube painting video by mezgike and saw this crazy awesome paint rack he has. Between paints and pigments and other things I've got well over 120 pots. So I'm gunna give a whirl building one about the size of his I think.

Here's a pic of his I took from the video.2019-09-22 20.08.15.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So i was watxhing a yputube painting video by mezgike and saw this crazy awesome paint rack he has. Between paints and pigments and other things I've got well over 120 pots. So I'm gunna give a whirl building one about the size of his I think.

Here's a pic of his I took from the video.View attachment 224219

I do like his rack, I don’t have the time to make one though. I use this nailpolish rack, it’s perfect size for citadel pots and was $12 or so.

Sodynee Nail Polish Table Rack Display (Hold Up To 72 Bottles) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052FZORC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3LmJDbDKG7W0V

I don’t know wtf happened to links, since the last iPhone update they aren’t working for me. Just search nail polish rack if you’re curious :p

• 1Solidarity

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have that exact same nail polish rack, works perfect mounted above my paint desk. Learned about them from Viet Win who's setup is ultimate hobby goals. He painted his black.
FB_IMG_1569516812668.jpg

• 1Like