Miniature Painting

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I both love and hate reading this thread. Beautiful work on the models, but boy does it make me feel retarded looking at my stuff.
Don't get discouraged. When I started painting (2000) I was horrible, it took about 3-4 years of doing it A LOT before my technique started to improve to the point where I was understanding things and getting better. I took a break and I paint to a pretty good army standard and even won some local comps but even today I am still learning.

That same feeling you might get looking at my stuff, is the same feeling I get when I look at work from some of the titans in the industry like Andy Wardle, David Colwell or Sergio Calvo who completely blow my mind with how good they are and make me feel like shit. The point being, no matter what level you are at, there is always people better and way ahead of you. I use that to push myself rather than discourage myself. It gives me something to work towards.

for reference:

1CC2A5E0-661D-4A77-9473-C76CFA5CB7C1.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Blown
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Don't get discouraged. When I started painting (2000) I was horrible, it took about 3-4 years of doing it A LOT before my technique started to improve to the point where I was understanding things and getting better. I took a break and I paint to a pretty good army standard and even won some local comps but even today I am still learning.

That same feeling you might get looking at my stuff, is the same feeling I get when I look at work from some of the titans in the industry like Andy Wardle, David Colwell or Sergio Calvo who completely blow my mind with how good they are and make me feel like shit. The point being, no matter what level you are at, there is always people better and way ahead of you. I use that to push myself rather than discourage myself. It gives me something to work towards.

for reference:

Why can't I mother of god this post? Those are minis?! Holy fuck.

Maul

Dental Dammer

for reference:

View attachment 319210
What the fuck, are those painted?!

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider

for reference:

View attachment 319210

I get on a zoom call with Andy Wardle each month so he can help me improve. I really wish I could go to one of the Cult of Paint in person workshops. Hopefully if and when covid settles down they will start doing them again.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I get on a zoom call with Andy Wardle each month so he can help me improve. I really wish I could go to one of the Cult of Paint in person workshops. Hopefully if and when covid settles down they will start doing them again.

This explains so much about your improvement from when you first starting posting in this thread

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Why can't I mother of god this post? Those are minis?! Holy fuck.
Yeah the guys he posted, and others, are mind blowing. Denopaints, craftworld studio, colwell, Richard gray, kaha.katarzyna.gorska. There’s people out there that are absolutely mind fuck good where I have no idea how to even attempt what they do. Some look like oil paintings or fake, it’s fucking nuts. Check some of those people out on Instagram.

Here’s one I saw that made me just want to throw my paint away.

CCBFAE22-8E8C-4B6C-BC21-9BA61802F9D1.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Yeah the guys he posted, and others, are mind blowing. Denopaints, craftworld studio, colwell, Richard gray, katagorska(something like that). There’s people out there that are absolutely mind fuck good where I have no idea how to even attempt what they do. Some look like oil paintings or fake, it’s fucking nuts. Check some of those people out on Instagram.

Yeah I went and immediately followed all three.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Is that a 1:1 thing or something that is like a group call? It cost $ I assume?

I’ve never done any kind of class. I was going to do one at Gencon this year with Sam Lenz but it got canceled. It was expensive like $150 or something but that dude seems pretty cool and taking some kind of actual class might help me get back into it. I’ve barely painted this year.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is that a 1:1 thing or something that is like a group call? It cost $ I assume?

I’ve never done any kind of class. I was going to do one at Gencon this year with Sam Lenz but it got canceled. It was expensive like $150 or something but that dude seems pretty cool and taking some kind of actual class might help me get back into it. I’ve barely painted this year.

Yeah 1 to 1 call for about a half hour but we always go long. It's a tier on Cult of Paint's Patreon. I think I've done it for 4 months now. Its a good way to get direct feedback and advice.
He was saying the in person classes they do are his favorite. He feels like people get a lot out of them. A class with Sam Lenz would be fantastic.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Latest I've been painting. I'm in a little bit of a lull so I'm just doing very casual but fun painting. Not trying to get them too high level, more just relaxing. I like the bases on these guys.

sc and base.jpg

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Latest I've been painting. I'm in a little bit of a lull so I'm just doing very casual but fun painting. Not trying to get them too high level, more just relaxing. I like the bases on these guys.

View attachment 319246

I really like the way you painted the gold armor... the shiny parts on the breastplate is that your painting? Or just the lighting in the photos?

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yah thanks man, it's a little bit of both. It's true metallic paint, and I also highlighted and shaded it a bit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finished the F-14a today. Used the Jolly Roger paint scheme as it was a bit different from all gray tones.

Learned a lot how the paintbrush works and what varnishes to use. Now I need to try add more weathering and shading on the next build. Not sure what to buy though. Something besides a fighter jet to break it up a bit.

20201123_153554.jpg

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
If anyone knows any good resources for models I'd be interested. Youtubers or forums or whatever. More looking for the beginner stuff, any type of model. Planes, cars, ships, tanks... whatever.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Tanks are a great platform for weathering but building them can be a bit difficult depending on where your skills are

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
If anyone knows any good resources for models I'd be interested. Youtubers or forums or whatever. More looking for the beginner stuff, any type of model. Planes, cars, ships, tanks... whatever.

I like this channel The Scalemodeling Channel Its not really beginner stuff but in his step by step vids he explains what he's doing and why and you get an overall good idea of where to go with your builds/skills. He only builds cars but the skills transfer to whatever you want. I follow a ton of other ones but I wouldn't recommend them if you are new to building models of that kind

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Some of the coolest shit I’ve seen are tanks, planes, and boats. I’ve seen model planes where they wrapped them in aluminum foil then sanded it down so it had a badass real metal weathered look but I’m having trouble finding a good example.

Here’s some other shit to drool over.

1E319406-A1CF-412D-8651-194A3EDC1D7E.jpeg

The resin wave shit is so awesome, there’s a ton out there if you go digging.

4F7B03D3-8D7E-491C-B79A-752DD9B22FCE.jpeg

• 4Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 4 users