Miniature Painting

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah that tank is fantastic.
It's weird i see a ton of mini painting content out there, mostly Warhammer, and not a lot of model stuff. Maybe I'm just not really looking too hard though to be fair
I'm still 100% invested in mini painting. Might move on to busts or larger scale, but we will see.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Thinking of doing a tank as the next project. Not sure which one though. I want to do a big ass tank if I go for it, not sure what model to look for as there are so many out there and the box art does not do them justice. Might also try build a car but I have not decided yet. Cars feels like a lot less customization than a military vehicle. Basic color on the body and you are done, unless one builds a race car type with decals and different body colors.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Modern tanks are bigger and fancier, but there's just something about WW2 era tanks, IMO.

If you do a car I think you're on the right track - lol - about picking a race car. Formula One for an LMP car from the Le Mans series would be great for you to practice on, because of the intricate body lines and liveries.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Modern tanks are bigger and fancier, but there's just something about WW2 era tanks, IMO.

If you do a car I think you're on the right track - lol - about picking a race car. Formula One for an LMP car from the Le Mans series would be great for you to practice on, because of the intricate body lines and liveries.
My brother builds mostly WW2 tanks and I think they are more "detailed" than modern ones. The WW2 stuff got lots of shovels and other details to paint and seems to have more interesting camo/color schemes.

I ordered a Leopard 2A6 Tank just now though to start with. Black, green and brown camo so should be kinda easy to start with. Will probably do some WW2 stuff after this one. :)

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I've always been a fan of building Zoids models and have about 100 of them done in total (sadly most of which are just sitting in bins at my parents house because I have no space for them). Never painted them, though, but they're easy builds and the nicer ones they've been coming out with recently are nicely articulate. It definitely seems like more of an airbrush paint job, though, which I just don't have the space or setup for, so maybe one day. Seems like it would be fun. A lot of kit bashing you can do with these, too, and they're fun for dioramas.

Stuff like this:

Can't see much of the process thanks to the camera, but the final product on this one looks pretty good:

Aazrael

I've always been a fan of building Zoids models and have about 100 of them done in total (sadly most of which are just sitting in bins at my parents house because I have no space for them). Never painted them, though, but they're easy builds and the nicer ones they've been coming out with recently are nicely articulate. It definitely seems like more of an airbrush paint job, though, which I just don't have the space or setup for, so maybe one day. Seems like it would be fun. A lot of kit bashing you can do with these, too, and they're fun for dioramas.

Stuff like this:

Can't see much of the process thanks to the camera, but the final product on this one looks pretty good:
I've seen a few "gunpla" youtube videos pop up for me but never watched them. Are they pre painted and you just add details/shading/battle dmg? Or do you paint every part from scratch?

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I think you can do basic shit like line work with gundam pens and such, but the models themselves (at least the ones I've gotten) are just straight colored plastic so they still look decent put together with no extra work. They'd need primed, etc. to do any real paint work as far as I know. From what I've seen most folks just spray the parts ahead of time while still on the runners for speed, but other than that have to do parts individually to get all the areas where the flash was.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Newest project, Leopard 2A6.

Thought tanks was built by gluing two halves together then painting it but it has way more details to mount than the airplanes. Pleasantly surprised by that.

I should take it slow but once I start building time flies and I keep going. One more basket on the tower to build then its painting time.

20201126_205936.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Newest project, Leopard 2A6.

Thought tanks was built by gluing two halves together then painting it but it has way more details to mount than the airplanes. Pleasantly surprised by that.

I should take it slow but once I start building time flies and I keep going. One more basket on the tower to build then its painting time.

View attachment 320069

Wait till you discover photoetch details and the ridiculous details you can add with those.... ;)

• 2Like

Aazrael

Did the primer with Stylnylrez primer (UMP) at 25 PSI and then base coat with Ammo Nato Green at 17 PSI. However the topside surface feels kinda rough, a bit lite sandpaper texture while the underside and side skirts are really smooth.

Somehow I did something different when spraying the top of the tank but I'm not sure what.

Too far away spraying? Too low PSI? I think it was the primer that got textured and not the Nato Green.

20201128_144721.jpg

• 2Like

Aazrael

First tank attempt done. Due to my rough primer application I didn't want to spend too much time on weathering it as the surface was so bumpy.

Will do an Israeli Merkava tank next, they look cool and a different color scheme.

20201130_232948.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
That Tank is awesome. I ordered a couple of models myself to give them a try. I'm guessing there is a lot of overlap with miniature painting Games Workshop stuff.

My current work in progress is this guy, I have not decided what the sword will be yet. NMM, TMM, Just paint it metallic steel and be done... we will see!

20201201_234227.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That Tank is awesome. I ordered a couple of models myself to give them a try. I'm guessing there is a lot of overlap with miniature painting Games Workshop stuff.

My current work in progress is this guy, I have not decided what the sword will be yet. NMM, TMM, Just paint it metallic steel and be done... we will see!

View attachment 320947
I’d do actual metallic since you’re doing the armor that way. I find when they’re mixed it can look odd. There are techniques to make true metallics look better. Doing multiple layers, multiple washes, multiple dry brushing. Most people I see they just slap one coat on and they’re done and it doesn’t look that great. Really working at it makes it look much deeper and more like real metal.

I have yet to give a real try to NMM, the armor just looks so time consuming. Then I see shit like this and know there’s no way I’d be happy with my attempts lol.

BDF8CCE0-D9BE-4454-B866-AD9C44A327CE.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Aazrael

View attachment 320947
I started the Merkava MK3d yesterday with is made by Meng. Heard good things about those kits but so far I'm not impressed. Lots of plastic flash and injection points. Its very very detailed though.

So far I'm most satisfied with that Leopard tank thats from Tamiya. The F14 and the Jas 39 was from Italieri and they were not as good a build as the Tamiya one.

I did buy a bunch of Tamiya Acrylics paints which I topped up with thinner. Tried airbrushing them and wow, they fit me much better than the ammo stuff. I will use the ammo stuff for detail work with a normal brush and move over to Tamiya for the base coats etc.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Tamiya in general make good modeling products from paints to kits. They are usually a bit more expensive but the modern kits are top notch. Stay away from the old kits tho... they have huge fit and accuracy problems

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd love a model of the USS Missouri, or Iowa, or something. But WTF am I supposed to do, make my own camo scheme? It's all freakin' gray.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'd love a model of the USS Missouri, or Iowa, or something. But WTF am I supposed to do, make my own camo scheme? It's all freakin' gray.
Nah there’s some color. You can also add interest to it via weathering.

51C4DEDF-F6E5-4049-8123-1A5264842EF8.jpeg

Or try your hand at resin water, which is amazing it done right.

730D949B-43A6-4184-A4ED-B4458C0B129D.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That resin piece looks really cool. Might be beyond my skills though, lol.
Of course it is, beyond mine too. But that’s because we’ve never tried it. I’m sure that wasn’t that guys first attempt :)

Watch some videos on it, get some resin and do some practice squares. I see tutorials on how to do it and they demonstrate by using something like a 3”x3” square of resin they poured. I’ve also seen people say it was easier than it seems when starting out.