Miniature Painting

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I picked up some of those new Citadel Contrast paints today and have been trying them out. Definitely requires rethinking how you go about painting but not entirely sure if they will save much time.

I have watched many 'reviews' on youtube of those paints and that seems to be the consensus. I haven't paid enough attention... are these contrast paints replacing their other lines? Or are they just an addition?

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It's an addition. The idea is that you prime your minis and then use these in lieu of a base/shader/wash. So you get to a base+wash stage after one cost of this thin yet incredibly pigment dense paint and can then do additional shades / washes if you want or skip straight to picking out detail work.

You could conceivably do an entire squad in under an hour using these so long as you knew what colors you were targeting and had a solid plan in place..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I bought one today... going to try it out on painting the coils in the plasma rifles of my hellblasters over a silver base coat.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It's an addition. The idea is that you prime your minis and then use these in lieu of a base/shader/wash. So you get to a base+wash stage after one cost of this thin yet incredibly pigment dense paint and can then do additional shades / washes if you want or skip straight to picking out detail work.

You could conceivably do an entire squad in under an hour using these so long as you knew what colors you were targeting and had a solid plan in place..

You have some pics of some? I’ve heard people talking about them but haven’t really seen anyone post any yet.

Qhue

Trump's Staff

This is an example of ~10 mins of just slapping on a few colors without much finesse. Not revolutionary, but easier to get something passable in a short amount of time.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
View attachment 211762

This is an example of ~10 mins of just slapping on a few colors without much finesse. Not revolutionary, but easier to get something passable in a short amount of time.

Yeah that’s fantastic for things like zombicide or massive darkness when you have 15 of the same model x4

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Yeah if I could just motor through a whole swarm of a single color before having to switch brushes it'd be crazy handy.

It comes out in some of the reviews, but it is very important to note that some colors are intrinsically thinner than others. The paper/flesh tone above is skeleton horde and when you see it on the brush you go 'wtf this is brown!' yet it applies evenly and dries to a nice parchment / white guy color.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Found a good video on contrast paints. I love his analytical/scientific approaches, helps me understand shit better.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
My next two finished (for now) pieces. I figured with the cloak on the Dragonborn I would try my hand at manually highlighting versus the dry brushing. Not the cleanest but hopefully should look nice on the table tonight for our big fight.

Also got to play with some of the blood for the blood god paint on the gnoll’s axe and gave him a little more dry brushing work.

Tried out a wet palette today and holy fuck what a difference. This solved mostly all of my issues in trying to get my paints thinned without them instantly fucking up. Overall, pretty happy. Got to start on these at another paint workshop at my LGS and got some more tips and got to see some cool pieces getting worked on. I’m slowly improving.

A3A5263D-4B5B-4F59-8631-B72A603F4112.jpegC56BBCDA-5BC7-4EDB-A1E3-01C92F938C1C.jpegE226781B-2389-42DB-971F-C17C09047FB9.jpeg3E28DB9F-E36A-40DA-893B-85CD459AEC72.jpeg8DE46FFE-09BF-4715-826C-39B63BEA16F0.jpegE85B566D-7AA3-4A1E-9D92-7578A3BD28FC.jpeg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My next two finished (for now) pieces. I figured with the cloak on the Dragonborn I would try my hand at manually highlighting versus the dry brushing. Not the cleanest but hopefully should look nice on the table tonight for our big fight.

Also got to play with some of the blood for the blood god paint on the gnoll’s axe and gave him a little more dry brushing work.

Tried out a wet palette today and holy fuck what a difference. This solved mostly all of my issues in trying to get my paints thinned without them instantly fucking up. Overall, pretty happy. Got to start on these at another paint workshop at my LGS and got some more tips and got to see some cool pieces getting worked on. I’m slowly improving.

View attachment 212079View attachment 212080View attachment 212081View attachment 212082View attachment 212083View attachment 212084

Those look much better on the paint thickness. One tip for the blood god paint. Add that as your last step AFTER you’ve hit it with matte varnish and any additional highlights. If you do it beforehand it loses its glossy/blood effect. Below is an old zombie I did that you can see what I’m talking about.

Nice work 👍

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Here is my finished Calgar minus basing which I need to run to a model railroad store for. I wasn't as accurate with where I put paint as I wanted to be but it is a marked improvement over my previous work.

20190611_090338.jpg

20190611_090350.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
When I get in pantheon beta? Maybe in the winter when I have less stuff to do

Yeah feel you there. It’s time intensive and summer is busy as fuck. I hadn’t touched a brush in 3-4 weeks until today. And only got in 20 minutes to finish it off.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If any of you have old, spare Rapier track shizzle, I will suck yo dick

...ooor maybe I'll just keep checking ebay. Definitely sound less degrading

Gonna start silicone casting old parts I want that are getting hard to find. And I really don't want to split apart old conversions so I can recast Rapier tracks.

EDIT: not the new shit, I'm talking about the old track bits. I made a custom model with some years ago, I want new ones to match, prices are like $40-$60 and I want to get back on that conversion snake

tenor.gif

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well one of you is responsible for me going on a mini buying binge. I think it was Hateyou, in some other random thread.

I used to go to work with my Dad in Princeton as a kid. Right by the university there was a shop that sold lead/metal minis. I loved going there so much. So now I'm dangerous because I have money to spend on this stuff.

I bought some on Amazon, some on Miniature Market. Anyway I'm looking at 20 D&D minis on my desk and more on the way. I bought a Reaper Miniatures starter paint set too. So I guess I'll try to paint these!

I watched this vid: and a few others.
Read a few Reddit posts. Any good resources appreciated.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users