Miniature Painting

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes it was me, I apologize for nothing.

I’d suggest starting with Sorastro, he’s good at explaining what he’s doing and why, without getting overly technical. Once you get his basic stuff digested, you can check out his more technical specific stuff like blending, dry brushing, etc. then start branching into other guys who don’t explain as much of what they’re doing while doing it. When I first started some of the guys moved too quick for me, but once I understood basics it was pretty easy. Miniac was another good one that is good at explaining things in a more scientific way, but may be confusing for just starting out just because you may not know where to start, he has a lot of videos.

That was a really good video. I'm also watching some Miniac ones which I like a lot.

I'll probably start tonight on a simple skeleton that came with the beginner paint set. Then move on to more figures and get some reps in.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
For maybe a little more advanced techniques angel Giraldez has had some great videos lately...

Also following alot of painters on instagram sometimes you get some decent walkthroughs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have officially begun. It's not much but I did a wash on my skeleton. This had zero details beforehand. Now you can clearly see the bones and eye sockets. It's a start.

Edit, and after phase 1, he's kinda base coated!

20190708_202854.jpg20190708_213727.jpg

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Still trying to figure out how to take better photos but here is my bard for my next D&D campaign, went bagpipes for my scottish heritage and to be annoying as fuck and make the party listen to bagpipe music all session. You cant see it but did a bit of tartan on the pants

20190708_215404.jpg

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's awesome. I dig the base too.

I found this video and it made me want to paint one of these guys. The result he got was exactly what I would love to achieve and he did it in under 20 minutes. I have no illusions mine will look that good but it's something to work towards. I love that blue. I'm going to try his method on my next guy.

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
That's awesome. I dig the base too.

I found this video and it made me want to paint one of these guys. The result he got was exactly what I would love to achieve and he did it in under 20 minutes. I have no illusions mine will look that good but it's something to work towards. I love that blue. I'm going to try his method on my next guy.

I subscribed to his channel on youtube and he is very good at explaining how to do things but beyond that making you realize you don't have to paint them at a professional level to make them playable.

• 2Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got myself an inexpensive desk, a magnifying lamp, some more paints, and a $20.00 paint brush set. I'm ready to rock.

Desk 1.jpg

20190709_201108.jpg20190709_201023.jpg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So I see some of yous have the citadel paint handle. Did any of you happen to unscrew the handle and put a bigger one on? I've got pretty big hands, and only get two fingers around that dinky stock handle.

If ya did replace it what did you use?

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
So I see some of yous have the citadel paint handle. Did any of you happen to unscrew the handle and put a bigger one on? I've got pretty big hands, and only get two fingers around that dinky stock handle.

If ya did replace it what did you use?

I bought both the small and big one... so I could interchange them I believe though I haven't tried. Even the little one isn't bad for me and I have what i thought were large hands.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have a hobby holder. There’s an optional big grip bottom similar to the citadel one but I use the handle more than the big grip bottom, it just feels like I have better control when using the handle over the grip.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok my second mini is complete. Not amazing but better than the first! I feel like I got a good amount of experience with this one. I screwed up a lot but I did 2 base coats, a wash, and then dry brushing. I may have dinged level 2.

20190712_211614.jpg20190712_211631.jpg
20190712_211614.jpg
20190712_211631.jpg

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Anybody watch the Next Level Painting guy? I half expected him to cut a wrestling promo in the middle of air brushing a mini.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I watch Kenny, actually learned quite a bit about airbrushing from him, he is quite a character though.

• 1Like

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Was wondering if he was legit or not. He has alot of content but I didn't want to invest alot of time watching someone who wasn't going to teach me good habits.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I would say legit, and also shows alot of techniques to get things done and on the table instead of just crystal brush golden demon level, incorporates alot of washes and dry brushing along with the airbrush

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I tried watching a few crystal brush level videos and it’s just not what I need. I’m just not good enough nor interested in spending 80 hours per miniature. I mean the stuff is amazing and I respect their ability but I’m not interested in getting to that level.

I’m all about mid level content and odd tips and tricks to speed things up.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Agree, I like to watch them or go through their tutorials, occasionally I glean something from them. But usually I'm looking for table top quality, I tried following miniature mentor one time and after way too many hours It was about as good as my normal jobs.

I do like this guys blog though.

Also follow

And

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
Recently got back into the hobby and decided to repaint an ogre I did when I was in high school. I wish I had taken photos of all the ones I redid:

image2.jpg

image1.jpeg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
Ok my second mini is complete. Not amazing but better than the first! I feel like I got a good amount of experience with this one. I screwed up a lot but I did 2 base coats, a wash, and then dry brushing. I may have dinged level 2.

View attachment 214975View attachment 214976
Chain mail looks rad, what sorta silver paint did you use? I've been trying to find a good gold as well. Not terribly impressed with the citadel ones I've got now.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Turbodork has some awesome metallics. I picked up four very different colors on my first purchase from them just to see a variety and they’re all great.

• 2Like