Miniature Painting

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Started working on this gnoll guy tonight. Main goals for this one are to get better at keeping my paint thin and smooth and for the most part I think I did better than my previous minis. Managed to get the shield and mail coated without losing too much detail on them and the axe came out nice and smooth (as smooth as I could get it for this model anyway. I’m starting to dislike the Reaper minis since they just feel a bit lumpy and I have a bitch of a time figuring out where some details end and others begin).

Biggest issue I was having was with the tan paint at the end of the night, shit just would not stop leaving little clumpy bits everywhere and I had that shit almost pure water. I didn’t get much done for how long I spent on this (about an hour and a half to two hours) and I’m wondering if since I’m taking too long for a single color, am I just ending up with a shitload of dry paint hiding in the bristles or something. What’s the recommended time to go between cleaning your brushes?

I think I need to get a new small base brush already since the bristles have basically split in half and it’s a pain in the ass trying to get into small places like that. Also need to grab an exacto knife to try and trim some chuff off future models (this one has a ton on it and my utility knife was way too big to try and get in there to trim).

Realized that I don’t have a good color for gnoll skin other than maybe my mechanicus grey. Hoping if I use that then some agrax skill shade will make it look more natural, but we’ll see.

416F0843-F4C1-4449-B482-F03CB516CD28.jpegED7D45C2-6B8C-465D-88CF-1579942E7813.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Started working on this gnoll guy tonight. Main goals for this one are to get better at keeping my paint thin and smooth and for the most part I think I did better than my previous minis. Managed to get the shield and mail coated without losing too much detail on them and the axe came out nice and smooth (as smooth as I could get it for this model anyway. I’m starting to dislike the Reaper minis since they just feel a bit lumpy and I have a bitch of a time figuring out where some details end and others begin).

Biggest issue I was having was with the tan paint at the end of the night, shit just would not stop leaving little clumpy bits everywhere and I had that shit almost pure water. I didn’t get much done for how long I spent on this (about an hour and a half to two hours) and I’m wondering if since I’m taking too long for a single color, am I just ending up with a shitload of dry paint hiding in the bristles or something. What’s the recommended time to go between cleaning your brushes?

I think I need to get a new small base brush already since the bristles have basically split in half and it’s a pain in the ass trying to get into small places like that. Also need to grab an exacto knife to try and trim some chuff off future models (this one has a ton on it and my utility knife was way too big to try and get in there to trim).

Realized that I don’t have a good color for gnoll skin other than maybe my mechanicus grey. Hoping if I use that then some agrax skill shade will make it look more natural, but we’ll see.

View attachment 208431View attachment 208432

Did you prime that mini before you started painting? It doesn’t look like it due to the glossiness of the White but that may just be your phone picking up a lot of light like mine does. If it isn’t primed that is most likely your problem, paint isn’t going to smooth well on bare plastic.

If it is primed, it may be the paint you’re using. It could be old and separated, I’m not sure as I haven’t seen that with my Citadel paints. I have that problem with Scale75. I just can’t get it to act like other paints, it smears and pools. I may just turn the small set I got into airbrush only paint and never get that brand again.

As far as your brushes, in the second post of this thread I suggested some brushes and soap from creature caster. If your brushes are shot with dried paint, you may as well get a new set from them and if nothing else buy https://creaturecaster.store/us/product/monument-brush-soap-2oz/ from them. It’s a game changer in brush care for me. I slather my brush in this soap after every use, rinse to get excess paint out, then slather it again, wipe the brush on a paper towel to form a perfect pointed tip, and leave it on the brush until next use. My brush tips are perfectly formed every single time, I haven’t had a spare bristle sticking out since I started using it.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I went through a phase a few years ago of painting a ton of stuff for a tabletop Pathfinder game I was in... Need to get back to it with a new campaign going now. Here are a few things from that run :

Mostly crap, but I get by. Then I got into 3d printing things and painting them....

• 1Like
  • 1Barf

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have any recommendations for a airbrush to paint warhammer 40k mini's? I will be a total noob but don't mind spending money to get a better quality airbrush that I could grow into.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I got these and love it.

Iwata-Medea Eclipse HP CS Dual Action Airbrush Gun / Gravity Feed
Iwata-Medea Studio Series Sprint Jet Single Piston Air Compressor

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I second the Iwata HPCS, love mine and does everything I need, for compressor you would be fine for a long time with something like this,

The tank is nice and it is pretty quiet.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I almost went with that tank actually. At the end of the day I said screw it and spent the extra cash since I have it atm. I don’t like upgrading at a later date and feeling like I wasted my money the first time. That one is probably more than sufficient, that’s just my personality I guess.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
A friend recomended this combo of airbrush and tank. Let me know what you guys think.

Idk, I balked at $130 for my iwata Medea but I’m happy with it. I wouldn’t have pulled the trigger at $320.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
The H&S is amazing but most won't see any difference between it and the Iwata especially at the beginning, also the iwata has cheaper replacement parts, but if you have the money you won't regret the H&S.

• 1Like

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
I appreciate the feedback fellas. I'll let you know which one I go with when I decide myself.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Some wurms I finished recently. Haven’t had a lot of time due to summer.

2A43CB3C-F35E-4662-8A16-ABDB9BCC1841.jpeg3723EABA-656E-4572-860E-88439169BB8B.jpeg23467088-A4FF-475E-8178-44D23E31DCC7.jpeg

• 2Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Tree lady looks great, need to paint mine, have you done the bell crow yet? He was the main reason I did the KS but havmt gotten to him yet either.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Tree lady looks great, need to paint mine, have you done the bell crow yet? He was the main reason I did the KS but havmt gotten to him yet either.

Thanks.

Not yet but he will probably get done in the next few months. Darkness faction becomes playable when the new kickstarter stuff arrives this winter and I want him painted. Darkness faction is totally my style and that model is amazing.

For those who haven’t seen the bell crow.

ABB24011-D863-4F27-AE47-B5D00E90AE12.jpeg

• 2Like

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
A combination of laziness and a new Diablo season made these take longer than I wanted, but I finally got these painted enough to be considered done.
AJsiPRl.jpg
TYYwdru.jpg
PcdChHP.jpg
GisKLEM.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I picked up some of those new Citadel Contrast paints today and have been trying them out. Definitely requires rethinking how you go about painting but not entirely sure if they will save much time.

• 2Like