Miniature Painting

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
fairly easy method... remember when it comes to weathering less is more:

Take a small sponge, dip it in silver paint(use your imagination for color), then after wiping most of it off the sponge dip it onto the model where ever you want/think chips should be.

There are others that I have seen plane modelers use where they undercoat the airframe in aluminum, then they paint like normal. And literally chip the paint where they think the chipping would occur. There are also methods that use hair spray, but I am unsure of their steps and how they work so I can't really say anything beyond that.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
fairly easy method... remember when it comes to weathering less is more:

Take a small sponge, dip it in silver paint(use your imagination for color), then after wiping most of it off the sponge dip it onto the model where ever you want/think chips should be.

There are others that I have seen plane modelers use where they undercoat the airframe in aluminum, then they paint like normal. And literally chip the paint where they think the chipping would occur. There are also methods that use hair spray, but I am unsure of their steps and how they work so I can't really say anything beyond that.
I’ve seen people do weathering looking stuff with large sea salt. They stuck it all over the model and airbrushed around it. Idk what that technique is called, have only seen it once.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I tried some sponge chipping but it wasnt good. Will need to try again. My brushes suck so much, they all split when trying to do small dots/chips. Need to fork up and buy some really good small brushes.

Aazrael

First Gunpla painted and decal'ed. No weathering because I suck at that and don't want to destroy it. Might return to the model and do it later after I practice some more.

20210108_125021.jpg20210108_125337.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
The belly robe has grown on me. I definitely appreciate they go for the Roman aesthetic, sometimes it's better than others but generally I like it!

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Curt is so much like most of the posters here (in some ways) that it's a little creepy.

That's a lot of models on the wall behind him

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Jimmies rustled. In a Miniature Painting Noobs group on FB. These noobs, aren't noobs, posting amazing work!

• 1Like

Aazrael

Second gunpla done. Lost one piece somewhere in the painting process but made a new myself. Its hidden behind the arm so no biggie.

Edit, forgot the clear parts so reposted new pictures ;)
20210117_145033.jpg20210117_145053.jpg20210117_145105.jpg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aazrael

Looks great. How much of that is painted by you? I know a bunch of these come prepainted but not sure if they all do.
The only thing not painted is the clear parts and the rods in the pistons. The rest was primed to light gray then painted.

I got bad imaginary skills so I pretty much repainted with similar colors though. Made a few changes like using gold instead of yellow and the blue and red are subtle metallic paint and the inner frame is Gun Metal instead of dark gray.

This is painted vs unpainted.

IMG_20210117_152417.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nice, your version is much better. Muted the ugly yellow and highlights the weapon really well.

Also you may already know this but when painting metallics they turn out the best with black primer. Gloss black is best I guess but matte black works too. I personally can’t tell a difference between matte vs gloss primer, but can definitely see a difference in black vs anything light colored.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Nice, your version is much better. Muted the ugly yellow and highlights the weapon really well.

Also you may already know this but when painting metallics they turn out the best with black primer. Gloss black is best I guess but matte black works too. I personally can’t tell a difference between matte vs gloss primer, but can definitely see a difference in black vs anything light colored.
Yea I had to paint the gold stuff black first as I only have gray primer. The gold on the weapon is normal gold and the stuff on the head/grill is titan gold which I think looks better as it is not as yellow. Also handpainted on the weapon so it is not as pretty.

Kudos to you who get such great Looks with paint brushes! I still suck at that.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
For those of us without skills, time, space, or money.

• 1Worf

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Combo breaker. I wanted a quick paint of something different after all the Ultramarines.

20210121_131214.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users