Miniature Painting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haven't posted in a bit, nothing much really completed. I'm in a holding pattern until the new Dominion box comes I think. I'm pretty hyped for that.
Mean time I have been practicing highlighting, and I assembled some Grey Knights. Got them built, and base coated and not much more.
Oh and I just broke out the Hulk. I think I'll paint him up fully, it will be a nice change of pace and I can use the practice with skin.
20210623_075040.jpg
20210620_120917.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was going to ask you who paint with brushes. I tried today to handpaint some yellow on a figures fingers. Now I did paint directly on plastic because I havent really started on him, just wanted to see how it looks. So yellow on top of dark grey plastic. One coat was not enough clearly, the second coat started to dissolve and remove the first coat. Whats the best way to do multiple coats without destroying the underlying paint?

Might have worked better if I had primed it but figured I'd ask anyway for tips.

20210623_175418.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
This thread didn't really play a part, but I'm the middle of a minis relapse now as well. A rough order of events:

- Heard a new Dark Angels Codex was coming out earlier this year
- Had interest from a friend about getting into 40k
- Knew that I probably wasn't going to get back in that deep while I still had models unpainted from 20 years ago
- Started looking into Kill Team as a small-scale substitute
- Found AoS Warcry as a even simpler gateway game

Have restocked all my painting materials and working the first couple test models for Skaven in Warcry. Have plans to do 3 more Warcry factions and 2 Kill Teams, plus finish my old-school Deathwing.
Dark Angels is super fucking insane and nasty. Highly, highly, highly recommend.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Does that mean that I might be able to get rid of all the Dark Angels stuff that I got stuck with when buying Dark Millenium Vengeance boxes?

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Dark Angels is super fucking insane and nasty. Highly, highly, highly recommend.
I'm a Dark Angels hipster. Have all my Deathwing from back in 3rd edition before they even had invulnerable saves. I don't see myself ever completing a modern 40k army, but a man can dream.

Does that mean that I might be able to get rid of all the Dark Angels stuff that I got stuck with when buying Dark Millenium Vengeance boxes?
The DA hotness for the 40k tournament meta was/is Deathwing (command squads + maybe a blob) and a ton of Ravenwing bikes / attack bikes. They recently got hit with a nerf of increased points so not sure where they are at now.

• 2Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Almost got this 2000 point list glued together that I've been pecking away at.

I'll soon spray paint them which is the best they will ever look. Then it will look like a retarded 3rd grade art project. Heres hoping otherwise.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Almost got this 2000 point list glued together that I've been pecking away at.

I'll soon spray paint them which is the best they will ever look. Then it will look like a retarded 3rd grade art project. Heres hoping otherwise.
You can make minis look decent with spray paint. Just do zenithal highlighting. Dark base coat the whole thing then a lighter color from above. Black and white has the most contrast and really shows details but you can do it with other contrasting colors as well.

Just need to go light on the spray and be in a good humidity range.

• 2Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I have a chaos black spray. Then gonna paint my RG stuff white and do some red on the eyes of helmets or silver on guns. That should put me safely in the "3 colors" zone for not getting docked 10 VPs. Work on the finer details like plasma gun glow as I have time.

Not being artistic is my biggest area of weakness. This is an effort to improve in that capacity. Also, RTS is fucking dead and so is local competition in gaming I think outside of this stuff. RTS meets the old local arcade scene so to speak and that fills a void for me. I'm sure I'm going to stick out like sore thumb amongst the people at the store but perhaps I can work my magic on some of these types and encourage them as they too teach me their ways.... or I'm just really gonna trigger their bergs. We will see.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have a chaos black spray. Then gonna paint my RG stuff white and do some red on the eyes of helmets or silver on guns. That should put me safely in the "3 colors" zone for not getting docked 10 VPs. Work on the finer details like plasma gun glow as I have time.

Not being artistic is my biggest area of weakness. This is an effort to improve in that capacity. Also, RTS is fucking dead and so is local competition in gaming I think outside of this stuff. RTS meets the old local arcade scene so to speak and that fills a void for me. I'm sure I'm going to stick out like sore thumb amongst the people at the store but perhaps I can work my magic on some of these types and encourage them as they too teach me their ways.... or I'm just really gonna trigger their bergs. We will see.
Here’s a video on what I was suggesting. I still suggest going this route. They look good as is, but they’re also a good base for future painting if you ever get to it.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Playing in my first physical Warhammer 40k tournament on the 28th. Been playing on TTS since I started during the pandemic.

62 models to get done before the tournament to avoid -10 points.

Going to be an interesting month. Only 2-3 models a day ezpz right? :)

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Playing in my first physical Warhammer 40k tournament on the 28th. Been playing on TTS since I started during the pandemic.

Black undercoat, grey highlighting, its the army of darkness :p

Gankak

Vyemm Raider

That depends on what quality you want to put out on the table.... I dont think the rules say you have to have shading/highlighting done to not get the -10

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well, luckily only 4 characters, so most of it can be pretty basic. Helmets for everybody!

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
My photography skills suck but here's a nasty guy I finished a while ago.

IMG_20210617_174209.jpg

Still need to properly base him.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Haven't set up my lightbox yet for good mini photos but here's some terrain work in progress and some completed minis. The Deathwing termies are part of an army I started 22 years ago so it feels good to finally make some progress on it. The Skaven and terrain are for Warcry.

1626804087585.png
1626804123581.png
1626804163283.png

1626804187895.png

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user