Miniature Painting

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Chain mail looks rad, what sorta silver paint did you use? I've been trying to find a good gold as well. Not terribly impressed with the citadel ones I've got now.

Thanks man and yeah it did come out better than expected. This is from the Reaper Learn to Paint Set . I love it. They give you 3 minis, a bunch of paints, 2 brushes, a book with step by step instructions, which colors to use, and all the rest.

So for the chainmail I believe it was a pure black base coat, then polished silver dry brushed on. This is the included paint, so Reaper Master Series Paint Polished Silver

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
Dashel Dashel Must be the polished silver, that looks awesome.

Hateyou Hateyou damn some of those paints seem wild. I'm gonna have to pick up some of those. I feel like some of those like Afterburner would be fun to try on some insectoid stuff like this Umber Hulk I painted based off a youtube tutorial:

umberhulk.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow that looks tremendous. Love that. I may have to find that model to add to my collection.

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
Wow that looks tremendous. Love that. I may have to find that model to add to my collection.

Thanks! I followed this tutorial because I had no idea how to tackle painting it when I got it.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nice thanks man. I was actually going to look for more things just like that. I'm almost done with my 3rd mini from the Reaper starter set. I'll post images later. But I like how they walk you through it. Give you the paints, show you the finished mini after painting. It's just helpful for me as a starter.

Always liked Umber Hulks!

I'm also gonna look for actual games to play. Do people use these for DnD? I see my local gaming store has games of Warhammer. Might look into that too.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nice thanks man. I was actually going to look for more things just like that. I'm almost done with my 3rd mini from the Reaper starter set. I'll post images later. But I like how they walk you through it. Give you the paints, show you the finished mini after painting. It's just helpful for me as a starter.

I'm also gonna look for actual games to play. Do people use these for DnD? I see my local gaming store has games of Warhammer. Might look into that too.
Warhammer has their own line of specific miniatures for their games and for the most part they are set up for large scale battles so they can sell you dozens of miniatures. Though they have more skirmish games recently. Most things on here and from places like reaper are used for D&D or other tabletop RPGs. There are skirmish games, that you can play with any mini, out there like frostgrave?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Do you have a gaming buddy? If so, The Edge: Dawnfall is a great skirmish game with great minis, and not expensive as hell like warhammer. Not trying to steer you away from it, WH is an amazing hobby but very consuming from what I’ve seen.

My next miniature I’m going to post here is from The Edge. It’s turning out great, I’ve been struggling not to post WIP pics ><

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
No this would be a solo adventure for me. My gaming buddy lives in Atlanta.
Just checked out the Edge mini's, they look killer.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok so here is #3 of 3 from the Reaper Bones Learn to Paint kit. Super helpful for me.

I deliberately stopped myself from over obsessing with the flaws. I want to get some reps in. I don't want to burn out lol. So I've now gotten these three done! And now I'll decide what is next on the list to do :)

I'm kinda feeling those space marines, not gonna lie.

Oh! And my Hero Forge minis should be coming next week, which is awesome.

20190715_223900.jpg
20190715_223842.jpg

20190715_223822.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Do you have a gaming buddy? If so, The Edge: Dawnfall is a great skirmish game with great minis, and not expensive as hell like warhammer. Not trying to steer you away from it, WH is an amazing hobby but very consuming from what I’ve seen.

My next miniature I’m going to post here is from The Edge. It’s turning out great, I’ve been struggling not to post WIP pics ><
Glad to hear it is fun, I have still yet to break mine out but will have to try soon

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
No this would be a solo adventure for me. My gaming buddy lives in Atlanta.
Just checked out the Edge mini's, they look killer.

Well if you want something playable The Edge has a big story Solo campaign built into it too, can also do it co-op. I have not played that way yet so can’t really comment, I have seen people who have say it’s fun though. I’ve only done skirmishes which is PvP.

Glad to hear it is fun, I have still yet to break mine out but will have to try soon

It’s really well balanaced and the factions all play quite a bit different from each other so it has a lot of replayability and different ways to play each faction. We’ve played 10-12 games and they’ve all been fairly close with us trying varying strategies. It plays quick, sets up and tears down quick, has nice components, I really enjoy it. It’s the main reason I’m taking my time doing the minis, I want them to look as good as I can get them. Unlike zombicide or Gloomhaven where I just made them look good enough.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ok so here is #3 of 3 from the Reaper Bones Learn to Paint kit. Super helpful for me.

I deliberately stopped myself from over obsessing with the flaws. I want to get some reps in. I don't want to burn out lol. So I've now gotten these three done! And now I'll decide what is next on the list to do :)

I'm kinda feeling those space marines, not gonna lie.

Oh! And my Hero Forge minis should be coming next week, which is awesome.

View attachment 215349View attachment 215350

View attachment 215351

Nice work for just starting out man. My only suggestion at this point is try to do paint strokes in one direction. You can really see on his shield for example where you are making brush strokes in different directions in the shape of the shield sections. Try going back over those with thin layers all in one direction and you should be able to cover that up. Or just try it from the get go on the next mini if you are just moving on. It will look much smoother. Going in different directions really highlights brush strokes, builds up paint pools in weird spots, and creates textures where you aren’t actually trying to make any.

Also there are a lot of little spots where you have colors bleeding onto each other. The blue and silver and vice versa. Not a big deal on base coats, just go back to those spots and do little touch ups, it’ll look a lot cleaner. Touch ups like that usually only take a few minutes overall.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thank you and yes! I definitely noticed the brush strokes and bleeding. I agree I'll try and do one more touch up round.
I'm also thinking about making one of those wet palettes. I think that would help me since I'm kinda back and forth on colors and they tend to dry out quickly on me.

Now that I have done a few I can really focus on refining things. Which brushes to use... I still struggle with which to use when dry brushing or highlights. Or how much paint is the right amount when I load up the brush. Stuff like that.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thank you and yes! I definitely noticed the brush strokes and bleeding. I agree I'll try and do one more touch up round.
I'm also thinking about making one of those wet palettes. I think that would help me since I'm kinda back and forth on colors and they tend to dry out quickly on me.

Now that I have done a few I can really focus on refining things. Which brushes to use... I still struggle with which to use when dry brushing or highlights. Or how much paint is the right amount when I load up the brush. Stuff like that.

You can get something like this for general large area dry brushing for $3 at Walmart or wherever.

e.l.f. Cosmetics Concealer Brush, Flat Synthetic Brush is Ideal for Concealing Small Imperfections
I use the flat brushes from this cheap set for most of my dry brushing. You mainly just need to pick the right size for the area you’re doing. It ruins brushes so don’t go buying expensive brushes for dry brushing.

AIT Art Paint Brush Set - 14...
For highlights I recommend a 1 or 0. Load your brush so paint is about halfway up the bristles, slightly spin your brush when loading to get an even paint load.

Definitely build a wet palette, you can do it for a couple bucks. There are several easy to find YouTube videos on making your own. If you like it and it helps with your consistency, I’d suggest buying a nice one. I actually did not like using the cheap wet palette because it dries out irregularly, gets weird wrinkles, etc, but it is functional. I bought Painter Wet Palette for miniature painting by Redgrass Games because I recognized a wet palette does help and I needed one and I love it. It addresses all the issues I had with the self built one, and my painting has gone up a lot by using it. I think you’ll see the difference on my next mini I post.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Awesome very helpful again. I'm getting a wet palette right now. I feel like that will really be used constantly as I paint.

I'm gonna dick around with the brushes I have now. I bought this set:

Bunch of options I just need to use them more and see what works best with what. Oh and the 2 that came in the Reaper set.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Awesome very helpful again. I'm getting a wet palette right now. I feel like that will really be used constantly as I paint.

I'm gonna dick around with the brushes I have now. I bought this set:

Bunch of options I just need to use them more and see what works best with what. Oh and the 2 that came in the Reaper set.

I have those, they’re pretty bad. They leave very bad brush marks, have uneven loading and flow, and the bristles shoot out even when no dried paint. They’re ok for washing and dry brushing though.

If you want to keep it cheap you could just buy one nice brush to see the difference.

There’s a synthetic version too if you don’t want animal hair for whatever reason. The sable ones I link are better but synthetic can be good too. If you want to save $, they have full sets of both on that site. That’s also the place that sells the great brush soap.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yup I'm having the same experience with these brushes. I'll grab the Monument and see if I notice the difference. I got some brush cleaner the other day. I haven't used it yet though. Not sure how, I'll youtube it tonight.

So brushes plus wet palette ordered today! I'll have to plot out my next mini to paint.
I might just wing it for my next one. And then possibly find a good video like that Umber Hulk Phanton posted, and get that mini, then paint it.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Yup I'm having the same experience with these brushes. I'll grab the Monument and see if I notice the difference. I got some brush cleaner the other day. I haven't used it yet though. Not sure how, I'll youtube it tonight.

So brushes plus wet palette ordered today! I'll have to plot out my next mini to paint.
I might just wing it for my next one. And then possibly find a good video like that Umber Hulk Phanton posted, and get that mini, then paint it.

Its awesome to see this much enthusiasm for miniature painting... so I say this as a warning. If you have a lot of disposable income and want to keep it STAY AWAY FROM GAMES WORKSHOP. Its crack.... trust me. Trying to beat that addiction...

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Not sure I’ve ever seen a video specific to brush cleaning. You just wet it, swish the bristles around to get some soap up in there, rinse, repeat until the paints all out. Then get one last brushload of soap, and form the brush into a sharp point by wiping backwards on a paper towel. Leave it that way with the conditioner in it, this keeps your bristles shaped to a point and conditions them. Rinse it out before next use.

• 1Like