Miniature Painting

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just getting into painting and 40k at the same time. I only painted a bit in the 90's when it was pewter, but that was only a few D&D figures.

I watched this video but if anyone has any other recommended ones to get me started that'd be appreciated:
Also if anyone has any advice on tools, primer, paint, especially geared towards beginners that would be great. The GW guy is nice (he's been there for years), but of course he's going to promote his paints, tools, primer, etc. I have no idea if there's a better alternative or not.

edit: Will be asking 40k questions in the 40k thread too.

View attachment 390816
Go back to the first few pages of this thread, there’s a lot of recommendations for starting gear there.

Welcome~

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just getting into painting and 40k at the same time. I only painted a bit in the 90's when it was pewter, but that was only a few D&D figures.

I watched this video but if anyone has any other recommended ones to get me started that'd be appreciated:
Also if anyone has any advice on tools, primer, paint, especially geared towards beginners that would be great. The GW guy is nice (he's been there for years), but of course he's going to promote his paints, tools, primer, etc. I have no idea if there's a better alternative or not.

edit: Will be asking 40k questions in the 40k thread too.

View attachment 390816

Welcome aboard! I'd still recommend this one to start. It covers everything and he's pretty brand agnostic.

Don't go overboard buying tons of stuff. Cheap brush set, primer, basic paints, get a few done. Then get more stuff. :)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Printed my first mini just now. Demonskull unit from Archvillain Games. No primer or paint on him, just the grey resin he was printed on. Looked way bigger in chitubox but he is quite tiny.

20220103_191204.jpg
20220103_191229.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Printed my first mini just now. Demonskull unit from Archvillain Games. No primer or paint on him, just the grey resin he was printed on. Looked way bigger in chitubox but he is quite tiny.

View attachment 390873View attachment 390874
Looks good. Pretty crazy what these cheap printers can do right out of the box.

Forgot to mention, check out Myminifactory. They have a massive amount of good miniatures to print. Some of them are really awesome designs.

Aazrael

Looks good. Pretty crazy what these cheap printers can do right out of the box.

Forgot to mention, check out Myminifactory. They have a massive amount of good miniatures to print. Some of them are really awesome designs.
Yea it came out allright, the teeth kinda went missing compared to the CGI reference picture. It's so tiny though I'm not surprised. I think I might scale them up 50% or something in the future. Easier to paint as well.

Will check myminifactory. I think I spotted a female demon hunter there that looked cool.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea it came out allright, the teeth kinda went missing compared to the CGI reference picture. It's so tiny though I'm not surprised. I think I might scale them up 50% or something in the future. Easier to paint as well.

Will check myminifactory. I think I spotted a female demon hunter there that looked cool.

Is that a 32mm mini, or smaller?

Aazrael

Is that a 32mm mini, or smaller?
Not sure how that is measured. The whole figure is around 50mm from base to head.

Edit: Seems Archvillain Games says they should be 32mm figures.

Last edited:

Aazrael

Printed a "boss" unit from the same pack as the skeleton guy. Took probably 22h total with all the pieces. But he came out real good off the printer.

Azael the Pit Lord.

Not fully glue so had to prop him up.

20220105_101349.jpg
20220105_101403.jpg

• 5Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 5 users

Aazrael

Dude Aza those look awesome. What printer do you have?
Using a Elegoo Mars 2 Pro with Phrozen Aqua 4k Resin. All default settings I think, not sure what to tweak for better (if it's possible) stuff.

Haven't had one failure as of yet. It just chugs on.

Edit: And the minis are archvillain games. I really like those but will try print some artisan guild later, they are a bit more stylized though.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Using a Elegoo Mars 2 Pro with Phrozen Aqua 4k Resin. All default settings I think, not sure what to tweak for better (if it's possible) stuff.

Haven't had one failure as of yet. It just chugs on.
The only thing to really tweak is exposure time, and things like a raft or supports if you’re having failures. Beyond that, tweaking to get a better print is just buying the next resolution up lol. That’s one thing I really like about the resin, barely any settings to fiddle with compared to FDM which has hundreds.

You and I have a 2k resolution printer, there are 4K and 6k (probably 8k by now too) that put out even crazier quality.

• 1Like

Aazrael

The only thing to really tweak is exposure time, and things like a raft or supports if you’re having failures. Beyond that, tweaking to get a better print is just buying the next resolution up lol. That’s one thing I really like about the resin, barely any settings to fiddle with compared to FDM which has hundreds.

You and I have a 2k resolution printer, there are 4K and 6k (probably 8k by now too) that put out even crazier quality.
Kinda curious how stuff would have looked on the Mars 3, but skipped it to buy the 2 Pro as it mostly had good reviews and a lot cheaper. Will see in a year or two what's available then if I'm still into it.

I have only printed pre-supported figures so far and maybe thats why they haven't failed, im expecting a failure every time. :p

Kinda wan't to find printable conversion kits for Gunplas, there are lot of resin expansion sets with crazy detail out there but they cost a lot. I'd rather just pring it myself.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
I really want to get into printing my own stuff. Just the sheer amount of different printers and and configurations is daunting.

I also did a KS for for labyrinth inspired scenery pieces. So I mainly want to start printing those. Hagglethorn Hallow was the name. The stuff just spoke to me.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Kinda curious how stuff would have looked on the Mars 3, but skipped it to buy the 2 Pro as it mostly had good reviews and a lot cheaper. Will see in a year or two what's available then if I'm still into it.

I have only printed pre-supported figures so far and maybe thats why they haven't failed, im expecting a failure every time. :p

Kinda wan't to find printable conversion kits for Gunplas, there are lot of resin expansion sets with crazy detail out there but they cost a lot. I'd rather just pring it myself.
Check out myminifactory for that. Gundam isn’t my thing so I can’t speak to the quality of what’s there, but I do know I’ve seen lots of it on there.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I really want to get into printing my own stuff. Just the sheer amount of different printers and and configurations is daunting.

I also did a KS for for labyrinth inspired scenery pieces. So I mainly want to start printing those. Hagglethorn Hallow was the name. The stuff just spoke to me.
We can help make it easy. You on a budget and only want small stuff? Elegoo Mars 2. Elegoo Mars 3 if you have more money, it’s a lot better than the 2 and not way more expensive. Want to print big stuff? Elegoo Saturn.

If you know the largest size of that KS you backed that could make your decision for you.

Aazrael

Whats your exposure time and layer height? I think mines set to 2.5 seconds and still 0.05, can it improve prints with lower/higher setting? Not sure how low the elegoo can go in layer height. Will add time though I guess.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Exposure time is 8 seconds, bottom exposure 60. Layer height is 0.05 too. Layer height is greyed out so I’m not sure I can change it. I can’t see the layers right now anyways unless it’s a super shallow bowl shape.

I know I can bring my exposure down, I just had a couple bad failures and raised it a lot higher to get rid of them. I forget what it was when I had the failures, I just haven’t had problems since so I haven’t touched it.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Here's my 2 days of printing. Four Demon Skull guys and the Azael "boss". Really like this theme so will print a few more of the demons in the package.

Two of them are even bigger than this guy so not sure if I will print them, will take several days to complete one of them and lots resin.

The flame guy is front heavy though, falls over and not sure how to fix that besides sticky tape or something. 🤔

20220105_193009.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users