Miniature Painting

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Thanks, what's the difference with inks and paints though?
Inks generally have more intense colors and flow like water. So they're nice to use for things like panel lining because they flow quickly to fill all the crevices and produce a strong color difference. Due to the strong color and easy flow they're a bit more difficult to work with than acrylic paints, since they're more likely to run to places you don't intend.

For model painting, another major difference is that they respond differently to other chemicals, so you can use white spiritsto dab away layers without necessarily stripping other paints. Makes for good weathering/grime.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Inks generally have more intense colors and flow like water. So they're nice to use for things like panel lining because they flow quickly to fill all the crevices and produce a strong color difference. Due to the strong color and easy flow they're a bit more difficult to work with than acrylic paints, since they're more likely to run to places you don't intend.

For model painting, another major difference is that they respond differently to other chemicals, so you can use white spiritsto dab away layers without necessarily stripping other paints. Makes for good weathering/grime.
Thanks! Seems Citadel is not selling glaze paint or I can't find any. Thinking of buying a bottle of Vallejo Glaze Medium and just mix my own.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You can glaze with citadel layer paints, you just add an extra brush dip of water to the pallet to thin them down more. It can be a little tricky at first to gauge the right combo of paint+water amounts, but you get there. If you add too much water it just increases the number of layers you have to put on for the same effect, so not the end of the world.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks! Seems Citadel is not selling glaze paint or I can't find any. Thinking of buying a bottle of Vallejo Glaze Medium and just mix my own.
Don't buy mediums from any of the companies who sell our paints. Go to Amazon or Michaels or something and search for liquitex. It's the same thing at a dumpster fire sale price.

• 3Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you buy liquitex glaze medium, make sure it's the non glossy kind. There's a box on the side of the lable that should say gloss, semi gloss or matte.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
liquitex?

I just threw that into GIS, and was like

2tayJ4B

Aazrael

I think the biggest thing to get is reading glasses... I can't see shit at close range... maybe Brahma Brahma got tips?!

Either that or those LED magnify glasses...

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think the biggest thing to get is reading glasses... I can't see shit at close range... maybe Brahma Brahma got tips?!

Either that or those LED magnify glasses...
Get an LED magnifying glass that has a clamp. I can’t paint without it for most detail areas, shits just too small.

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wear cheater glasses from CVS and I have a rechargable headlamp from Amazon.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Le Grill!?

whydoesnotminelooklikethat.jpg

The paints I ordered got stuck in shipment. Hopefully I can get them tomorrow. Built and primed though, might be a mold line or two left to remove.

20211229_180112.jpg

• 3Like

Aazrael

It's started. Looks better in person but it's just base coat so far. Practicing on the base as it's quite detailed.

20211230_211417.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I feel like I should work on him more but we will see. Super happy with how his face came out.

Galen Best 1.jpg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Aazrael

I feel like I should work on him more but we will see. Super happy with how his face came out.

View attachment 390422
I looked at the start of this thread for the first time ever and man you have improved miles from that first mini you posted. Great work!

Base and lower part is done for now. It's my first build so I won't set too high a bar for myself even if I tend to do just that.

The Dark Wash deleted some finer details on the flowers and leafs, think I put it on a bit heavy. But it's fine.

Picture looks a bit brighter than irl.

20211231_131449.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mineral spirits on cue tip. Go over raised areas after applying washes or inks and you can accurately remove shading where you don't want it, while keeping it in the recesses.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Uh, anyone have this happen to their paint before? It’s like it turned into a fucking tarp. Not sealed enough maybe? Doesn’t seem to have happened to any of my other paints that I’ve dropper capped.

In other stuff, got back to working on the little kenku. Was hoping to do some awesome highlights with all the folds on the cloak, but…it’s messy and I think it looks like shit. Trying to decide if I just want to base it over and start again or not. I don’t have any purples between that base and highlight color so I guess I’d have to mix something up for it.

e: looks like the whole pot is fucked. Has the texture of a citadel dry paint now. Is it possible to rehydrate it?

96451A47-DA65-421D-A03E-85460800AADA.jpeg610898A3-5473-4C6C-86FF-2083504DE681.jpeg2DB2266A-2E58-496B-BE77-3DE9AD220BAC.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah there's the big problem with GW paint, the lids don't seal right and they dry out. I have no idea how to fix that when it happens but if I ever buy their paints the first thing I do is decant it into a dropper bottle.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Horse and base is almost done for now. Was kinda hard getting a greenish blueish tone to the flesh but that is what I could do. Might glaze it a final time with some sort of blue or green hue, or just keep as is.

The colors look a lot brighter on photo. It's not quite that blue in person.

The rider is next to paint.

20220102_174326.jpg

20220102_174351.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Just getting into painting and 40k at the same time. I only painted a bit in the 90's when it was pewter, but that was only a few D&D figures.

I watched this video but if anyone has any other recommended ones to get me started that'd be appreciated:
Also if anyone has any advice on tools, primer, paint, especially geared towards beginners that would be great. The GW guy is nice (he's been there for years), but of course he's going to promote his paints, tools, primer, etc. I have no idea if there's a better alternative or not.

edit: Will be asking 40k questions in the 40k thread too.

Image.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users