Miniature Painting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
I just started painting these and I just could not get yellow to be solid on my megaboss. I had to use Lava orange. What paint set did you use to get such a rich yellow? I've been using The Army Painter set (which im beginning to think sucks)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I just started painting these and I just could not get yellow to be solid on my megaboss. I had to use Lava orange. What paint set did you use to get such a rich yellow? I've been using The Army Painter set (which im beginning to think sucks)

Many many many many many thin coats is the answer

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Many many many many many thin coats is the answer
This Leviothan Leviothan

What I do for my yellows on my lanterns, which I think turn out well, is start with red, then orange, then dark yellow, the bright yellow. You’d stop there, and probably don’t need the red layer. I keep going and add white in the middle, but I’m going for a glowing flame look with that. I also let a little of the previous layer through to give it the depth look, you can see that effect better in the first pic below. You would probably only do something like that on cloth folds maybe. Depends what you’re painting.

Try doing yellow on top of your orange and see how it turns out.

1611318097842.jpeg

1611318134754.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider

I don't like to hate on Army Painter because I've honestly only tried one of their paints, but it's very thin in general. For the Yellow I highly recommend Vallejo Scrufulous brown! It's an almost orangy yellow, and a really good base color to work up from. I'll take a picture of what I used.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
So you can kinda see the progression. The gold/brown which has very good coverage, brighter gold/yellow, really yellow, then almost white yellow. It's pretty much just giving some variation and makes it look richer. You don't need the exact colors but it's Vallejo Scrufulous Brown, Gold Brown, Scale 75 Sol Yellow ( I just picked a random bright yellow), and Ice Yellow which I use a lot.

20210122_094759.jpg

• 1Like

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Damn, thanks for the advice guys. I do have that range (not Scale but I can mix it). I'll give it a shot today and see if my megaboss stops looking like a UM Football player.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
With greenstuff and dedication all things are possible.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Here’s a WIP I’m doing today (I haven’t painted in three months, wtf) where I’m doing the red>orange>yellow method. This is just one layer of each color and you can see how bright the yellow turned out.

C6EE16F3-1992-4E2B-806A-C6B7D6BBE50F.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Nowhere as good as what you guys have done but I tried out my first miniature painting on this Megaboss. Finally got it to the point where I’m going to move onto my Fireslayers.
7F8CF6A3-F026-4C81-855F-B2C22C19ADE7.jpeg

Attachments

• 5F247B3D-1EE8-498E-BC73-F4F61426035C.jpeg
    5F247B3D-1EE8-498E-BC73-F4F61426035C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nice! Keep going man. I dig the blood.
I'm probably going to paint another Orc next too.

• 1Like