Miniature Painting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I made my first fully edited youtube video. Be kind as I literally taught myself premiere and photoshop in the last 2 weeks, but have a look and let me know how I can improve!

Yep good stuff man. Made me want to paint a Soul Drinker!

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I decided to strip the paint of my favorite build, I failed every step on it. Paints messing up and varnish making the finish melt.

Put it in alcohol and scrubbed it off, repainted the inner frame this weekend. Now I want to repaint the armor something different. The small picture is the original paint scheme, anyone got some tips? I've seen a few black/white/gray that looks cool.

PicsArt_04-26-09.48.27.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Finished up Be’lakor: what a joy to paint. Repositioned the sword to help the OSL and kept the chains off, also went matte black for the sword to have it look like it’s absorbing light (it is the blade of shadows after all! )
69FC6178-8D49-411F-9197-32F3534B1DAE.jpeg

• 16Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 16 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Awesome job, and I love that model. It's so much better than some of the other centerpiece figures. Great job o the OSL.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Hey Fam, Few updates.
Finished Part 2 of my soul drinkers video. Also finished this SIlent King for a commission and this creature caster dude.

E3AE51C7-60CF-490C-891C-C9669228BDC7.jpeg

8F4E53A6-8E4E-4B2F-86DF-D289D2FCF7E1.jpeg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Knocked out a tiny Slave I tonight. Happy with how it turned out but still been frustrated with not being able to get my paint consistency quite right still. It either just doesn’t flow nicely off the brush, comes off too fast like an ink, or just dries up instantly in my brush even though I always give it the tiniest dip in water before getting some paint on it.

DAD2FEDB-CFA4-4A40-AF1A-C3D03621A83F.jpegA0D69A4D-D169-429B-B24A-48618A180336.jpeg36C11E9A-EDB9-488F-B8CB-381D873D3294.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Knocked out a tiny Slave I tonight. Happy with how it turned out but still been frustrated with not being able to get my paint consistency quite right still. It either just doesn’t flow nicely off the brush, comes off too fast like an ink, or just dries up instantly in my brush even though I always give it the tiniest dip in water before getting some paint on it.

View attachment 352581View attachment 352582View attachment 352583
Do you thin your paint with just water? Few months ago I switched to matte medium and flow enhancer in various amounts to thin my paints and it's worked wonders. I also keep a formula book and measure everything in dropper bottles so I can just remake whatever I need instead of having to guess. Learned my lesson with that after I made some beautiful orc skin and have no clue how to remake it.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I have everything on a wet palette as well, but I’m not sure if I’m properly hydrating it (I’ll add enough water so that it’s not absorbing anymore and then pour out any water that’s loose in the bottom). I do have some medium laying around that I could try.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There’s a joke in here somewhere about a bunch of miniature painting nerds telling a woman how to get wet enough but I’m not sure how to phrase it.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I have everything on a wet palette as well, but I’m not sure if I’m properly hydrating it (I’ll add enough water so that it’s not absorbing anymore and then pour out any water that’s loose in the bottom). I do have some medium laying around that I could try.
What kind of pallete paper are you using? I find the stuff it comes actually doesn’t have a good level of osmosis if that makes sense? I switch it out for normal kitchen parchment, I find it a lot thinner and that it keeps the paints a lot more hydrated.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
What kind of pallete paper are you using? I find the stuff it comes actually doesn’t have a good level of osmosis if that makes sense? I switch it out for normal kitchen parchment, I find it a lot thinner and that it keeps the paints a lot more hydrated.

I got the Army Painter's wet palette and have been using the sheets that came with it. I used to use just the ol' sponge in the tupperware with some parchment on top, but trying to keep those sheets flat was a nightmare. If I can find a decent way to flatten them out, will give that a try.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I got the Army Painter's wet palette and have been using the sheets that came with it. I used to use just the ol' sponge in the tupperware with some parchment on top, but trying to keep those sheets flat was a nightmare. If I can find a decent way to flatten them out, will give that a try.
Flip them over so the curl is going up, then pull down on it and scrape it over the edge of a table. If you overdo it just flip back over and repeat until you get it flattened. The harder you pull, the more of a reverse curl you will create.

• 1Like

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I have had the army painter one and have a redgrass one. the paper for those isn't great. For the kitchen parchment make sure there is enough
enough water in it then just hold it down a second. I will post a video of how I do mine.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I made a little video on my instagram, wasnt sure I could link it here:

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
You're using Redgrass paper or something else? The paper looks cut on the left.
No I just explained I dont use their paper. Use regular parchment its much more porous so keeps things more wet, specifically.

• 1Like