Miniature Painting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are "Space Marines" grunts just general models that you then paint different colors depending on what "faction" you want them to be? If I go into say Ultra Marine category they just show the "named/boss" guys.

Trying to get a hang on how this all works.

Yeah so they're the poster boys of Warhammer, they're the most represented model wise. You can buy a set of marines and paint them in whatever colors you want. If you go to the GW site and hit 40k>Space Marines: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40-000

On the left there you can expand the Space Marines and see the bigger chapters. Ultramarines, Imperial Fists, Black Templars etc. All different chapters. But like that image above shows there are TONS of different chapters. GW just lists the main ones. They mostly paint them Blue for the Ultramarines but again paint them how you want.

Certain models are for certain factions, but the grunts are the same.
e.g. Roboute Guilliman is the Primarch leader of the Ultramarines, Tor Garadon is the head guy (I think?) for the Imperial Fists because their Primarch is dead.
But this Lieutenant or these intercessors can be anything

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
And if you don't paint them a traditional color scheme you can trigger the fuck out of neckbeards by playing them as a different faction every week!

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
No pink ones. Bigots.
1641919167471.png

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Plenty of people also create their own chapter and paint it whatever color(s) they want, then say its a "successor chapter of _______ and I'm using that chapter's Codex rules".

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There is a different rule book for every one of those paint schemes in that picture?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
There is a different rule book for every one of those paint schemes in that picture?
While I am far from an expert here is how I understand it. There is a Space Marine Codex that covers all and then there are specific "supplemental" codices for a half dozen chapters or so. I believe the supplemental codices are for specific unit types unique to those half dozen chapters.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, they also provide some unique stratagems/warlord traits etc

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While I am far from an expert here is how I understand it. There is a Space Marine Codex that covers all and then there are specific "supplemental" codices for a half dozen chapters or so. I believe the supplemental codices are for specific unit types unique to those half dozen chapters.

Pretty Much. There is a generic Space Marine Codex that has rules that apply to any chapter you make up, but also general rules for the special named chapters. Then, those special chapters (not all of them, but some: Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templars, etc.) have a codex that's much smaller and outlines special rules for that chapter (or successor chapter that you want to create) and special units (which could be "assault units" and you use the regular models, but when playing as that chapter they are different).

Like was mentioned earlier, Space Marines are the most popular faction in 40k table top by a wide margin. I had 2 S.M. armies when I played - Imperial Fists and Space Wolves - along side my Tyranid army.

Unfortunately, I've got no one to play with here, nor the time to paint and model again =/

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have horribly mainstream tastes. Space marines, Ultramarines no less. Also Imperial Fists and Blood Angels look cool to me. Death Guard are super cool looking imo. I'll do more of them eventually.
Then Stormcast, Slaves to Darkness and Orks for AOS.

They're just cool looking. Damn I painted these a while ago now. Terrible background but I love the models.

5 UM Assault Intercessors.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vhars

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have horribly mainstream tastes. Space marines, Ultramarines no less. Also Imperial Fists and Blood Angels look cool to me. Death Guard are super cool looking imo. I'll do more of them eventually.
Then Stormcast, Slaves to Darkness and Orks for AOS.

They're just cool looking. Damn I painted these a while ago now. Terrible background but I love the models.

View attachment 392497
Ditto

20210417_035010.jpg

20210416_204538.jpg

20210416_204514.jpg

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Damn I started painting mini's again early in the Covid lockdown as something to do since I couldnt leave my house. After seeing how amazing you guys are, I quit. Now I want to start back up again even though I suck hah. But I dont play Warhammer anymore or D&D so it almost feels like a waste of money.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Damn I started painting mini's again early in the Covid lockdown as something to do since I couldnt leave my house. After seeing how amazing you guys are, I quit. Now I want to start back up again even though I suck hah. But I dont play Warhammer anymore or D&D so it almost feels like a waste of money.
Any kind of art like this takes time. Just keep at it, practice, watch videos, etc.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't be afraid to fail my dude, it's just acrylic paint and 95% alcohol will strip it no problem. Like anything, if you enjoy it then it's not a waste of anything.