Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One (2023)

spronk

FPS noob
1 week till release, some theaters are doing a paid early screening next sunday too

started re-watching the movies since I haven't seen them in years and years, I thought i'd fast forward MI1 a bit since its so old but damn it was great and I was never, ever bored. I forgot Vhing Rhames came on board way back then too. The ladies are smoking hot in MI1 and MI2, young Thandie Newton is bananas

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
MI1 is still the best one, in my opinion.

MI2 is just way too ridiculous and stylistic. John Woo at his worst.

Third one gets trashed some but Hoffman gives such an amazing performance that I think really carries the film. When he's on the plane being interrogated the way he delivers his lines is pretty chilling.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
I saw the first one in the theater with my grandmother when I was 10. The fact that this franchise is still going strong is a testament to Cruise's insane dedication.

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I had been posting my mini-takes in the Rate Movies You Recently Watched thread. We're all caught up now and I think MI1 is the main divergence in opinion. On re-watch I found it almost unbearable. 3 was surprisingly good, and as you say, I was shocked by just how great Hoffman was in it. Did not remember that performance at all.

spronk

FPS noob
1688575799318.png

got my dolby tickets for next tuesday

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I saw the first one in the theater with my grandmother when I was 10. The fact that this franchise is still going strong is a testament to Cruise's insane dedication.
Dude is 60+ and still dying for a pat on the head from L. Ron, but damn if he can't put asses in seats and put in some top notch performances.

• 1Like

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
I was looking at booking tickets for the weekend. My local theater has 3 showtimes all day for non-Mission impossible movies, I don't check this kind of thing often but did Indy release with this kind of screen control?

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was looking at booking tickets for the weekend. My local theater has 3 showtimes all day for non-Mission impossible movies, I don't check this kind of thing often but did Indy release with this kind of screen control?
Most new movies have a ton of screen time their first weekend and then drop to just a few the following week. So sounds about normal for MI to take them all.

• 2Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
This is a really strange opening. Typically, movies premiere on a Thursday. This, on the other hand, had a soft open on Monday with a traditional release on Tuesday. I suspect it'll be fine, but it's still an odd release.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They are going for that strong weekend release number. If you start your weekend on a Tuesday, you will get better numbers than a Thursday. Tom Cruise is a genius.

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
  • 2Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
They are going for that strong weekend release number. If you start your weekend on a Tuesday, you will get better numbers than a Thursday. Tom Cruise is a genius.
No, those will be counted separately. For the usual opening, anything short of a full Thursday can be rolled into Friday but if you have an entire Thursday of viewings it will only count for Thursday, likewise for other days. So Wednesday will be the roll up from Tuesday and other earlier limited screenings. Typically the reporting will tell you the 3-day weekend amount and the full 5-day opening as separate values.

One likely reason for the earlier release date is to have more premium screen domination before Barbie and Oppenheimer open. Plus good word of mouth can spread better when it opens before the initial weekend.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
Saw it on at AMC Dolby today, I guess it must have been an early screening or something because NO TRAILERS! I missed 10-12 mins of the movie since I usually walk in late lol

loved it, I just finished rewatching all the movies and was super pumped up for more Tom Cruise running and jumping and he did not disappoint. I don't think its quite as good as Fallout, Henry Cavil and the Paris and finale set pieces were outstanding in that movie and really hard to top, but the action set pieces in this movie were really great.

Really enjoy the basic plot of the movie and how topical/timely it feels, although parts of it did feel a bit underbaked. Solomon Lane (bad guy in 5-6) is hard to top and I don't think this movie succeeded quite as well in the basic story but it was good enough.

It doesn't end on a super cliffhanger like Into the Spiderverse, but there is clearly more.

Action stans are super blessed this year between John Wick 4, Sisu, MI7, Plane, Spider-verse, D&D and Extraction 2 with still Expendables, Equalizer, Dune, and Rebel Moon still coming.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I saw it tonight, and I liked it, but it felt VERY short. We arrived like 20 minutes late because drinking, and it was over an hour later. So a real quick movie. I was expecting it to run like 2 hours, but nope. Oh well. That said, I enjoyed what I saw.

• 1Picard

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I saw it tonight, and I liked it, but it felt VERY short. We arrived like 20 minutes late because drinking, and it was over an hour later. So a real quick movie. I was expecting it to run like 2 hours, but nope. Oh well. That said, I enjoyed what I saw.
Did you pass out during the movie? It's over 2 and half hours long.

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users