MLB 2013 season

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think people truly grasp 2 decades of losing seasons. It's not like "Oh my Bengals haven't won a playoff game in ages".

It's not even like "Oh we never make the playoffs".

Lost over half their games. Every season. For TWENTY FUCKING YEARS. 4 more losing seasons than the next closest streak in major US sports, in a hundred+ of years of playing. I'm not even sure who is closest right now, but I'm sure they will have to have a losing record every year until atleast2025 to compete.

I remember when I started the old thread on FoH some Orioles fan chimed in that they would catch up and pass them. Think they were at 12 or 13 in a row at the time. That streak stopped at 14 last season. Tack six entire seasons of that on. Including two 100 loss years.

You get some idea why I'm piddling on the floor like an excited puppy this year=P If they play like this next year I'll be happy but it won't be the same.

edit: Oh yeah, last year they went from 16 games over .500 to a losing record. No one has ever done that before=P

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
And with the Yankees shitting the bed this season, I can't think of a better team to bandwagon.

Lifelong Pirates fan checking in.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Apparently the Pirates made a big offer for Stanton, that would have been pretty cool.
Supposedly Gerrit Cole was part of the offer. They gave a weird stat the other day that I didn't even know was a stat, but he leads the league in highest average pitch speed(or maybe it was only for fastballs?) at 95.7 or some shit.

But yeah, adding Stanton would have been huge. Cutch/Stanton/Alvarez 3-4-5? Jesus.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I remember when I started the old thread on FoH some Orioles fan chimed in that they would catch up and pass them. Think they were at 12 or 13 in a row at the time. That streak stopped at 14 last season. Tack six entire seasons of that on. Including two 100 loss years.
That was me. I was so sure that Peter Angelos alive = Orioles tank but still profit.

Can't imagine the lifetime ban sticking. The union may be showing a willingness to stop protecting guys who get popped for steroids, but no way they're going to surrender due process and give Selig some kind of Goodell-esque judge, jury, executioner powers without a fight. Plus, I can't imagine some of the owners being happy with Selig allowing the Yankees to dispose of that contract so easily...a quick handwash of $100M+ worth of salary seems like a huge competitive advantage to be gained by the Yankees. He's their laughable mistake, count the dollars against their luxury tax regardless of if he's banned or not. At least for a year or two, etc.

Sterling

El Presidente
As a thing about the Pirates, they've had more consecutive losing seasons than the Yankees have had in their entire existence. Was kind of hoping they'd make it like 50 straight before finally having a winning season just so I could be an old bastard and talk about how I was around to see the old Bonds/Bonilla days.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I wish they would of let Morales go for a decent price, the Rangers wanted him. He's on his last year too so no idea why they felt they needed to keep him the rest of the year.

Bet someone would of given up a big haul for Iwakuma too. Maybe they just want to win as many games as possible for the fans.

In Yu Darvish news, he becomes only 3rd pitcher to have three games of 14 strikeouts and 0 walks in a single season - joining a list with Big Unit and Clemens.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Can't imagine the lifetime ban sticking. The union may be showing a willingness to stop protecting guys who get popped for steroids, but no way they're going to surrender due process and give Selig some kind of Goodell-esque judge, jury, executioner powers without a fight. Plus, I can't imagine some of the owners being happy with Selig allowing the Yankees to dispose of that contract so easily...a quick handwash of $100M+ worth of salary seems like a huge competitive advantage to be gained by the Yankees. He's their laughable mistake, count the dollars against their luxury tax regardless of if he's banned or not. At least for a year or two, etc.
Yeah, there's no way. You can't make new rules for a guy just cause he's a roiding jerkoff who happens to be costing the most storied franchise in sports a lot of money. I don't see how they can ban him more than the typical 50-100 games.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I actually thoroughly enjoyed reading about all the GM's who had their jimmies rustled over the M's asking price for their "big bats."

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I don't think people truly grasp 2 decades of losing seasons. It's not like "Oh my Bengals haven't won a playoff game in ages".

It's not even like "Oh we never make the playoffs".

Lost over half their games. Every season. For TWENTY FUCKING YEARS. 4 more losing seasons than the next closest streak in major US sports, in a hundred+ of years of playing. I'm not even sure who is closest right now, but I'm sure they will have to have a losing record every year until atleast2025 to compete.

You get some idea why I'm piddling on the floor like an excited puppy this year=P If they play like this next year I'll be happy but it won't be the same.

edit: Oh yeah, last year they went from 16 games over .500 to a losing record. No one has ever done that before=P
Tigers were close. 16 years with 4, 100 loss seasons one of which wa a year with 119 losses and a .265 win % so I feel what you have been going through and I know how awesome it feels to finally see a turn around.
smile.png

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tigers were close. 16 years with 4, 100 loss seasons one of which wa a year with 119 losses and a .265 win % so I feel what you have been going through and I know how awesome it feels to finally see a turn around.
smile.png
Yeah, that was an absolutely atrocious run. Hey, did you notice they had TWO winning seasons in that 17 season stretch?

Yeah. 2 DECADES. A decade is ten years. Two of them is twenty years. They went that long without a winning season.

She was 4 months old when they wrapped up their last .500 season.

qFO3OcE.jpg

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, that was an absolutely atrocious run. Hey, did you notice they had TWO winning seasons in that 17 season stretch?

Yeah. 2 DECADES. A decade is ten years. Two of them is twenty years. They went that long without a winning season.

Well maybe if the Pirates didn't lose as much she would have banged Andrew McCutchen instead of Justin Verlander. She banged Mark Sanchez for christs sake!

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

qFO3OcE.jpg
LoL, I'm well aware on how long two decades are, I was just saying I understand your pain. Gezz dude.

Couple that with the Lions and I would say any Detroit knows your pain. At least you had a decent football team.
tongue.png