MLB 2014 Season Thread

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Giants have started to get hot at a great time. Hopefully they can maintain, but the mere fact that I've mentioned it means that it'll all end tomorrow!

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's Labor day and the Orioles have managed to not blow up into a heaping pile of shit. I can now officially get a little excited.... Just in time for football season.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Really glad the Reds were able to offload Broxton's contract onto them.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
18-3 with a 1.67 ERA now.

I just hope this year he can continue this in the play offs. Last year, not so well, but i think he got tired. This year, way less innings and he's done it before. So we will see.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I also saw this article on ESPN. They never have decent articles. I had no idea how amazing of a season Aroldis Chapman has been having. I think it's because the Reds have tanked so hard this season.

The mind-blowing stats of Aroldis Chapman - Jayson Stark Blog - ESPN
"But with 89 whiffs in 45 2/3 innings this season, Chapman is just about there. That comes to an unfathomable 17.54 strikeouts per nine innings, a ratio never before accomplished and barely even approached.The current record: 16.66, by Craig Kimbrel in 2012."

You know, that legendary Craig Kimbrel season we all can't stop talking about.

He's impressive and all, but he had a better season 2 years ago. They're taking this small sample size(less than 50IP) and blowing it all out of proportion. HisEXPLOSIONin strikeouts is ~8 more total strikeouts than his previous seasons at this same pace.

Fuckin' relievers man=P

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
So he's beating his own season of awesomeness? Yeah, he's pretty fucking good. The changeup he developed this year is nasty.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So, can Giancarlo Stanton take the NL MVP from Kershaw?

As of today, Stanton leads the NL in the following categories:
HR(37)
RBI(105)
Slugging(.556)
OPS(.951)
WAR(6.3)
Total Bases(297)
Extra Base Hits(68)
Walks(92)
Intentional Walks(24)

I feel like he just isn't getting the notoriety because he's playing for a mediocre team and he isn't in one of the biggest markets, but he's having an absolute beast of a season.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Rangers first team mathematically eliminated from postseason contention (though that towel got thrown in months ago). I think we've found an answer to "just how bad can it get?" last week when Wash resigned.