MLB 2014 Season Thread

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And if they do it for that 7-8 years they still need to go the better part of another decade.

Our suck was a special suck, don't try to jump on that train=P

Houston won't have that kind of longevity, but holy fuck are they trying to make up for it with even worse individual seasons. Pirates worst record was 105 losses and theyonlywent over 100 twice. Houston 106, 107, 111 over the last three seasons. That is insane. That's 1940's Phillies level bad.

I mean, short term, that Philly team went 17 straight under .500 and 30 of 31. Which the Pirates might be trying to match...

supertouch_sl

shitlord
The Astros have the right approach to rebuilding. Their major league core is terrible and there's no sense in splurging on players who won't even bring the team to .500.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
rrr_img_65600.jpg

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Any other Rangers fans here surprised at how well the team is playing right now? Buncha no-names pulling through and getting it done.
How about 4/5 AL Central teams above .500 with the Twins only a game and 1/2 back. Fucking crazy. Won't last. But still nuts.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
So, based on their current trends, Milwaukee is on pace to win 116 games and Arizona is on pace to lose 119 games. Fair to say I didn't expect either of those prior to the season.

I gotta admit, I don't watch any Diamondback games, but are they essentially just the NL version of the Astros, + Paul Goldschmidt/Mark Trumbo (when healthy)? I understand they've been ravaged by injuries this year.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
So, based on their current trends, Milwaukee is on pace to win 116 games and Arizona is on pace to lose 119 games. Fair to say I didn't expect either of those prior to the season.

I gotta admit, I don't watch any Diamondback games, but are they essentially just the NL version of the Astros, + Paul Goldschmidt/Mark Trumbo (when healthy)? I understand they've been ravaged by injuries this year.
Not sure thats quite fair. The Dbacks competed last year for the playoffs and have won world series more recently then then Astros(have they won one even?)

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
Not sure thats quite fair. The Dbacks competed last year for the playoffs and have won world series more recently then then Astros(have they won one even?)
Oh, trust me, I'd trade the Astros history for Arizona's in a heartbeat, especially considering they have been around for about 30 less years. Probably should have clarified, though. Probably should have said "this year's version of the Astros, just in the National League" or something.

And no, Houston has never won a WS. They got swept by the White Sox in 2005 in their only appearance.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks like yet another Red Sox world series hangover season. Feels like the team has made more errors in a month, than they did all of last season. Some ugly ball being played.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
So are Rangers fans still going to say I'm wrong about Prince Fielder sucking?
we said that? Pmuch everyone i know talking about rangers liked the choo pickup, was questionable about fielder, but we were desperate.

Gotta take risks in baseball, and sometimes a change of scenery works for people like fielder. Its too early to engrave his tombstone, but he sure does look pretty awful so far.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
It's been a month, small sample size etc.

It was more about getting rid of Kinsler and his increasingly toxic locker room demeanor, and freeing up a spot for Profar.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
You must not have read pretty much everything said about him after he was gone, including the interview he did for SI magazine. He hates Jon Daniels for moving Michael Young to get Elvis Andrus on the field, and was basically being a dick about having to do the same for Jurickson Profar. He also didn't want to take up any leadership role after Young retired.

That's why they got rid of him - he refused to move positions for Profar, even after the Rangers gave him a new contract, and his hatred for JD was starting to infect others.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Most Rangers fans had a pretty massive love/hate relationship with him as well. When he was good, he was good but I watched him dog it out enough times to raise my hands and go, "WTF?!"

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Kinsler was a decent player. Definitely no super star or team face, but I'd have him back no problem.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well, the Giants have been on fire ever since I bitched about their offense, Vogelsong, and Lincecum. With that being said, this offense, Vogelsong, and Lincecum all suck!