MLB 2014 Season Thread

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hoffman needs to be on the list with Griffey and Edmonds. The guy hadNINE40 save seasons, with two streaks of 4 consecutive. Only Rivera has more total and Rivera played a season longer and for a team that gave him a lot more opportunities for saves (Hoffman had 14 innings of postseason play versus Rivera's 141).
Personally I think Hoffman is overrated. Good regular season closer but never did anything in big games (read: playoffs). He'll get in though. Other than that I'm not sure who else is a lock outside of Griffey Jr.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Did Howard get off of the juice? Is that what happened? Talk about a guy who fell off of a cliff...

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Who knows... but his Achilles rupture a couple years ago was the beginning of the end of him as a productive player.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
After thinking about it a bit, I like this trade. Gattis will be relatively cheap for the foreseeable future. Foltynewicz is still young and throws 100 mph, but he did not look good during his September call up. Granted, 18 IP is a very small sample size, but he is still very much a work in progress. Don't know much about the other pitcher they gave up. I was surprised they gave up Ruiz, but hopefully Moran turns out to be the third baseman of the future.

I guess this means Fowler will probably be traded, since Marisnick is younger, cheaper and can play defense.

This line up is going tostrike out a ton, though. Dunno if I'm fully in the "excited for next year" camp, but Houston is going in the right direction. I just hope Jon Singleton takes a quantum leap forward next year.

Muurloen

Cubs To Acquire Dexter Fowler For Valbuena, Straily MLB Trade Rumors

I like it. Gets Matt Dominguez out of the way at 3b. Straily was a tout starter prospect when coming up with the A's,so he has an opportunity to fill in as a #4 or #5 starter.

Nationals To Sign Max Scherzer MLB Trade Rumors

Hory Sheeit..

Scherzer will receive $210MM for seven years of work, but the contract has an unusual structure, with Scherzer receiving $15MM per season for the next 14 years, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets. That means the Nationals will be paying Scherzer through 2028.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
I did not see that coming. There is no way they keep Zimmerman and/or Desmond now. They lose control of them after next year.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Jesus, 8 mil a year for a hitter that averages about .240 while hitting 15-20 hr and 50-60RBI. MLB salaries are insane. Dude is average at best in his good years.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
It would be counter-productive for them to trade Stras right now. The whole point in bringing in Scherzer is to have one of the best rotations in baseball. Scherzer, Strasburg, Zimmerman, Fister, Gonzales. If you are going all in.... you don't trade away that asset now.

Poll: What Should The Nats Do Next? MLB Trade Rumors
No it wouldn't. As it is right now they're putting Tanner Roark in the bullpen. That's a waste.

Strasburg could get them some significant long-term assets to sustain their team for a while.

Muurloen

Roark would be the easier trade option and yield an A-grade and a couple of B-grade prospects. Where as Strasburg may land a whole bunch of A-grade prospects, finding a team that would part that many, along with giving your trade partner an ace starter that still has many years of team control left would be harder to pull off and counter-productive.

Again I wouldn't trade anything away at this point in the season, if at all.... But if you are going to trade, it would be wiser to sit and wait, and see how the team plays, and use that glut of pitching to address needs in season due to injury or production of play not being met.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Hahahahahahaha, you're not getting three quality prospects for Tanner Roark.

Also, if you "sit and wait", either production or injury can diminish trade value.

Trading Strasburg right now would be one of the smartest things the Nats could do.