MLB 2015 Season

Thrawnseg_sl

shitlord
Amazing comeback by the Pirates again tonight! I sure hope we can catch the Cards overall though as another home playoff game and having the 2nd/3rd best overall record would suck (if it continues like this, long season, yea yea)

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bucs have made up like 6-7 games on the Cards in 2 weeks. I mean it's baseball so there's like 264 games left, but damn that's a nice way to close out the first half.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Ya'll bitches crazy. Your team could just suddenly suck dick for 2 decades at any moment, trust me. Would you rather be sitting there 20 seasons in to losing and say "Yeah but we sorta contended before that!" or "At least we got a title before that!"

It's the latter, obviously. The former is stupid. Sounds weird to say that wanting to contend longer is shortsighted, but long term you want that fucking championship. Every time. No one gives a single fuck about the 90's Braves these days. Shit, by the end of that run even their fans didn't give a fuck and they couldn't sell out playoff games. Getting blueballed year after year is not awesome.
Don't give a shit about any of that. I care about the entertainment value of watching my team compete for 5 years vs 1 year. I don't get any more entertainment value of my team loses or wins in game 7 of the WS. I do if my team gets there consistently.

Sports are never as entertaining when the team(s) you like are doing terrible

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Don't give a shit about any of that. I care about the entertainment value of watching my team compete for 5 years vs 1 year. I don't get any more entertainment value of my team loses or wins in game 7 of the WS. I do if my team gets there consistently.

Be careful what you wish for. Over the past six years I've seen eight Cincinnati team playoff appearances. All resulted in first round bounces. Shit sucks. A lot.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
To me it is like saying being a Marlins fan is better than being a tigers fan because the Marlins won the WS more recently.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yes. I would say that's better. Also because that would mean you have no affiliation with Detroit.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>

You're right on with the truth behind sports success. It's more important to the overall health of a franchise to be consistent than it is to peak every now and again. This is true across all sports. "Championship or bust" is something said by a lot of people but it really doesn't have a ton of truth to it. Everyone wants to win the whole thing, but its far more important to just make the postseason consistently.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
Well, Houston limps into the ASB in second place (albeit only a half game out). The offense is total dogshit right now, so hopefully this break will fix things. If not, still over a month until Springer gets back and now they're likely in the market for a big bat as well as a starter.

Antilles

Idiot Savaunt
The "years of contention with no title" vs "going all in for one season for a title and sucking in perpetuity after" hits especially close to home for me when I reflect on the Suns and the Diamondbacks.

Watching the Suns go on runs in the 90's and 00's was thrilling, and I can appreciate their place in history. But I would trade all of those runs for an equivalent to the Dbacks buying the 2001 World Series. Maybe I'm especially jaded because the Suns have been in no-man's land for the last few years now, but in a way that adds perspective to this particular conversation. When I reflect back on those Suns runs, they were fun and exciting but ultimately unfulfilling (foiled again by the Bulls, Rockets, Spurs and Lakers). The Dbacks, though, that was worth every penny.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Suns had a 20 year stretch where they missed the playoff 3 times. Be unfulfilled by that as a fan if you wish. I can promise you Jerry Colangelo's check book enjoyed that time period just fine.

Antilles

Idiot Savaunt
Suns had a 20 year stretch where they missed the playoff 3 times. Be unfulfilled by that as a fan if you wish. I can promise you Jerry Colangelo's check book enjoyed that time period just fine.
Haha of course. And he turned around and paid for that World Series, so I mean hey...

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think the new rules with the clock made it much better. Frazier won but that kid Pederson can hit the ball a ton.
Yeah, this was by far the best HR Derby I've watched. The new timer format makes it far more competitive. The whole "outs" concept was lame.

It's a bummer that this is probably the last season I'll get to see Chapman pitch. Reading articles like this makes you realize how special of a talent the dude is. The 50 fastest pitches thrown this season have all been him, haha.

Aroldis Chapman broke MLB.coms new fastest-pitch leaderboard - SBNation.com

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Here's the list of the 50 fastest pitches thrown in the MLB this year, both AL & NL combined

Statcast | MLB.com

P.S. Thanks AL for securing home field advantage for the Royals in the World Series again!