MLB 2016

moontayle

Golden Squire
Beltran will probably split RF/DH duties with Choo once he's done being hurt. With Fielder going on the 60-day and probably not playing again this year, it's a good pick up. I don't know the ins and outs of the Rangers farm system but most people are okay with giving up Tate since he's apparently regressed this year. Just happy not to have to give up Gallo or Profar to get a rental, though Lucroy is locked in until after 2017. I hear Ortiz is a loss but that it might be a push given the quality of a good catcher these days.

Exciting times. And Yu takes the mound tonight. Here's hoping he doesn't break on the first pitch. Again.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
I just cant see Beltran not breaking down at some point. His numbers have been off the charts for his age.

Hosix

All labs matter!
Whitesox need to trade that little bitch Sale and the number 2, Quintana, for some prospects that don't suck. They are horrible.

They started off hot but everyone knew that was an anomaly. They have sank like an anchor. With the Cubs doing good it makes it even worse.

Sterling

El Presidente
It's so strange seeing the Yankees stockpile prospects instead of trying to win right now. They're almost always buyers not sellers.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
I see the white sox giving it one more attempt next season with the core they have with a new manager. If shit goes south the first half next year they unload.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
9yPGUsD.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
It's so strange seeing the Yankees stockpile prospects instead of trying to win right now. They're almost always buyers not sellers.

It is, but completely necessary. Thank God that retard Hal Steinbrenner allowed the fire sale. Cashman did a good job, and frankly took advantage of an awful talent pool at the trade deadline. Frazier immediately becomes the Yanks' best prospect with some legitimate corner-outfield star potential, a la Ryan Braun. Sheffield is an undersized pitching talent with #3 Starter potential, but a very live arm (95mph). Torres from the Cubs is an immensely safe pick up & as close to a "no doubt" prospect at short stop. Guy will probably never be a star, but is a Rafael Furcal kind of player, and you'll certainly take that from prospects. All things considered, the Yankees have a loaded farm system, with some fairly safe prospects, albeit it's pretty safe to say none of these guys are Mike Trout.

The Tate pick up on the other hand is a great lottery ticket grab. Tate has dramatically fallen off since entering pro-ball, but he also had a nagging hamstring issue and at one time sported ace-like potential. Not a bad grab for Beltran (who I think was a phenomenal pick up for the Rangers), but absolutely could be a foreseeable bust.

Ps. Blake Rutherford (Yankees first round pick this year) has been absolutely murdering pro-ball with a 1.200+ OPS. Already ranked a Top 50 prospect, he could be the potential superstar out of that system. Just turned 19, and was consistently ranked a Top 5 prospect out of the draft, but fell due to signability issues/prospect fatigue. Legitimate 5-tool talent, hope the Yanks do not cut ties with him in any trades.

Sterling

El Presidente
It is, but completely necessary. Thank God that retard Hal Steinbrenner allowed the fire sale. Cashman did a good job, and frankly took advantage of an awful talent pool at the trade deadline. Frazier immediately becomes the Yanks' best prospect with some legitimate corner-outfield star potential, a la Ryan Braun. Sheffield is an undersized pitching talent with #3 Starter potential, but a very live arm (95mph). Torres from the Cubs is an immensely safe pick up & as close to a "no doubt" prospect at short stop. Guy will probably never be a star, but is a Rafael Furcal kind of player, and you'll certainly take that from prospects. All things considered, the Yankees have a loaded farm system, with some fairly safe prospects, albeit it's pretty safe to say none of these guys are Mike Trout.

The Tate pick up on the other hand is a great lottery ticket grab. Tate has dramatically fallen off since entering pro-ball, but he also had a nagging hamstring issue and at one time sported ace-like potential. Not a bad grab for Beltran (who I think was a phenomenal pick up for the Rangers), but absolutely could be a foreseeable bust.

Ps. Blake Rutherford (Yankees first round pick this year) has been absolutely murdering pro-ball with a 1.200+ OPS. Already ranked a Top 50 prospect, he could be the potential superstar out of that system. Just turned 19, and was consistently ranked a Top 5 prospect out of the draft, but fell due to signability issues/prospect fatigue. Legitimate 5-tool talent, hope the Yanks do not cut ties with him in any trades.
Oh, I totally agree that it's good. Going out and grabbing a a couple free agents to be sort of in the mix for a wild card and maybe/maybe not make the playoffs and not really threaten to win the whole thing is about the best that could have been hoped for if they had done the usual things. Some of the old guys are about done, and they can do the free agent thing after a year or 2 of seeing how these guys all pan out. It's just kind of weird after making the playoffs all but a couple of times in 20+ years to see a firesale.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Still unsure how I feel about approaching this off-season. Part of me wants to pay a guy like Cespedes, something around 5yrs /$120 million just to have a legitimately exciting, near-star player. Then again this Free Agency class is just terrible, so if they wanna keep selling and really figuring out what they have in the young guys, I would probably prefer that. That being said the ownership wants to make money, and the fan base is not exactly "patient". Wouldn't be surprised to see a Chapman signing & a trade for a #2-3 starting pitcher.

Btw, the Nova trade for two actual human beings is impressive. But the Pirates always make the best of pitchers, he'll probably be great or Pittsburgh.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tex hanging it up at the end of the season. Not surprising at all. Guy hasn't played a full season in 5 years.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
His retirement speech was hitting me there earlier today. Good for him, and a very good career. Sucks he couldn't have better luck with the body. Guy would've hit 500 HR's and definitely been a lock for Cooperstown. He's a smart guy also, think he'll adapt to post baseball life well.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Props to Ichiro, the true hit king.

Alex, oh Alex, what do I say...

Got a chance to meet him when I was younger, have always been a major fan & I am not scared to say my favorite player along to Griffey Jr. Someone who tried way too hard to be perfect & make everyone like him, but an absolute all-time great when it comes to talent. I think when people get further away from the "Steroid Era" & start seeing it clearer for what it was (literally a massive amount of players were using, and rightfully so there were no penalties) I think history will look on him more favorably. Prime A-Rod is literally as good as it gets, PEDs and all ('07 season, defensive metrics really do him no justice).

I for one, think he will try to get on with a team (talks of maybe the obvious Marlins, followed by Tampa Bay, Twins, Astros etc). But like Bonds, before Baseball may done with him.

As a nod to him, and the last time the Yanks have had a fun team, his absolute torrid run through the '09 playoffs (.1300+ OPS) & a ring.

Ps. Little side note, Teixeira was great, but his signing resulted in a compensation pick for the Angels in '09, it dropped the Yanks out of the 20th slot in the draft and allowed the Angels to take Mike Trout. Who the Yankees were absolutely targeting in the draft.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Sounds like Fielder might be done playing entirely. Still no regrets over the trade. At the time the Rangers needed a big bat and they had Profar ready to slide into Kinsler's place. That things didn't work out as planned is unfortunate but that's the risk you take with every move, even more so with high profile ones like that. At least they found out what they had in Odor and Profar has ended up being really good since returning from his injuries, so much so that they can't afford to send him back down to AAA despite not being able to play him every day.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I hold a pretty big bias towards NL players coming to the AL in that I believe players production usually drops (very much the case for pitchers). Gomez was a stud in Milwaukee, he needs to move back to the NL. Awful tenure with the Astros.

Yeah, I thought Fielder was a good pick up then. Obviously things didnt quite work out, and Kinsler has absolutely killed it and may be playing his way into HoF consideration when it's all done (he needs his body to play till about 39). The Fielder presser was tough, I hope maybe in a year or two maybe he can give it another go. The Rangers will end up saving $9 million /yr in salary through 2020 though, with DET & insurance covering the rest.

Wonder if that may open the door for a strong pursuit of Desmond now that Brinson is also gone.