MLB 2017

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, there is no denying how great Joe was. He is more than likely the greatest 2nd baseman ever.

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean it's hard to compare eras sometimes, but I don't think many people would put him ahead of Hornsby.

• 1Cutler
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Even with generational difference, Hornsby probably still maintains that title over Morgan. But there is probably a legitimate debate in there.

Sterling

El Presidente
I think Hornsby is pretty clearly 1, but Morgan is probably 2, you have some other real standouts like Alomar and Sandberg and some other old timey dudes as well that probably fall just behind Morgan. Either way he was really good offensive player in a middle infield position which is not very common.

• 1Cutler

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Hmmm, doing some more research it seems like Hornsby by most accounts was a pretty bad defensive player at 2nd base. Current WAR metrics always do a really poor job with past players, and actually tend to usually not ding them enough for bad defense. You could probably make a case for Morgan then if Hornsby was properly evaluated defensively, and then adjusted for the fact that Morgan played later in the timeline. Even then, Hornsby by just about any accounts is a historically insane bat, I'd probably still slightly go with Hornsby.

Also, the current Bill James War on WAR is somewhat interesting. I think anyone who likes metrics would concede WAR is far from a perfect stat, but it is definitely a nice baseline. Apparently the American League MVP race this year pushed him over the top. He felt Altuve was firmly the better player, and that advanced metrics overrated Judge. That being said even accounting for James' argument that WAR doesn't account for "context" or properly estimate "wins", if you take fWAR and then adjust it using James' Pythagorean Wins Expectations system, the total becomes: Judge 7.3 fWAR (non adjusted 8.2), Altuve 7.7 (non-adjusted, 7.5). So the total is fairly negligible either way. Anyways, a decent read if you are into that kind of thing.

Analysis | Bill James, who spurred baseball’s analytics revolution, is waging a mini war on WAR

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Mariners, Giants Will Meet With Shohei Ohtani; Yankees, Mets, A's, Twins, Red Sox Out Of The Running

Ohtani and his agency has started cutting teams, and very surprisingly the Yankees were one of the teams that did not make the cut. It appears he strongly favors a "west coast" and/or "small market" team.

The Mariners, Giants, Angels, Padres, Dodgers, Cubs, and Rangers all appear to still be in the hunt for Ohtani's services.

update:
Marlins Agree To Framework Of Giancarlo Stanton Deals With Cards, Giants

Giancarlo Stanton sweepstakes appear to be nearing an end. He prefers the Dodgers, but it appears the Dodgers might not have enough flexibility to take on his contract. The Giants and the Cardinals are the front runner. I'd expect that Giants to be the current favorite.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
First I don't blame a guy for not wanting a big East coast market. Not everyone wants the stress. Having said that do you want a pitcher that wants to avoid all of that? A position player maybe. But not a guy I want to give the ball in game 7 of a series. I know some guys have melted with big market teams. Anyone remember Carl Crawford in Boston? Nevertheless I consider it a minor red flag. Minor but still a red flag.

• 1Solidarity

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Mariners, Giants Will Meet With Shohei Ohtani; Yankees, Mets, A's, Twins, Red Sox Out Of The Running

Ohtani and his agency has started cutting teams, and very surprisingly the Yankees were one of the teams that did not make the cut. It appears he strongly favors a "west coast" and/or "small market" team.

The Mariners, Giants, Angels, Padres, Dodgers, Cubs, and Rangers all appear to still be in the hunt for Ohtani's services.

update:
Marlins Agree To Framework Of Giancarlo Stanton Deals With Cards, Giants

Giancarlo Stanton sweepstakes appear to be nearing an end. He prefers the Dodgers, but it appears the Dodgers might not have enough flexibility to take on his contract. The Giants and the Cardinals are the front runner. I'd expect that Giants to be the current favorite.

I would love to get a hitter like him on the Dodgers but they already had a huge payroll.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I haven't seen anything yet that indicates he specifically favors San Fran, but I wouldn't be surprised. GM "speculation" is Seattle.

I think he'll sign with the Rangers. May be local market bias, but there's been some interesting tidbits in regards to their connection to him dating back to last year in the local media.

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Ohtani and Maitan for the Angels.

Trout might have a relevant squad again.

In Stanton news: He is apparently willing to immediately waive his no-trade clause for the Dodgers, Yankees, Astros and Cubs. So we'll see if he ends up budging this weekend and open it for the Giants. Winter Meeting start Sunday, so hopefully the offseason will actually start moving.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I dont understand why a pitcher hitter went to an AL team. Was hoping he would come to the Dodgers but what ever good for Anaheim.

• 1Picard

Sterling

El Presidente
I dont understand why a pitcher hitter went to an AL team. Was hoping he would come to the Dodgers but what ever good for Anaheim.
Because he wants to DH on some of his days he's not pitching? If he's legit good they can always DH for the SS or CF or something on days he's pitching. This way he can get 4-500 at bats in theory. No idea if it will actually pan out that way, but that's what he wants.

• 1Cutler

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So the Yankees are about to be home to the two most imposing physical freaks to ever play the outfield. This might kill my dream of Harper in pinstripes, but wow. Castro and the prospects they are going to give is nothing. I am curious what the money will be like. It'd be an absolute steal if this turns out to be around $20 million /yr.

ef4c69ab-e37b-4882-8a14-664302f54647.png

Sterling

El Presidente
So the Yankees are about to be home to the two most imposing physical freaks to ever play the outfield. This might kill my dream of Harper in pinstripes, but wow. Castro and the prospects they are going to give is nothing. I am curious what the money will be like. It'd be an absolute steal if this turns out to be around $20 million /yr.

ef4c69ab-e37b-4882-8a14-664302f54647.png
Yeah, this makes the Harper thing unlikely. But holy shit.

• 1Cutler