MLB 2017

Sterling

El Presidente
I'd say there's 3 or 4 relevant teams in basketball, but yes, it does feel that the regular season is much more irrelevant in basketball than in baseball. Of all the major sports basketball tends to be the least surprising of them.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I've gone back and forth on this. Another part of me compares it to other sports. Even through the season is ridiculously long, the playoff hunt is actually almost always very close. I mean, in baseball we play 162 games and people make the playoffs by like a game.

Now let's, just for the sake of comparison, look at basketball. We're about to watch what? 5 months of this complete charade when we know--all of us know--for a fucking fact there are two teams in this league and nothing else matters AT ALL. We're about to engage in this complete farce of a sport for 5 months, but let's pretend baseball is boring.

Fuck, even in baseball an appropriate amount of teams make the playoffs. In Basketball literally half the fucking league makes the playoffs, all of which are 7 game series. Here's my overall point, and this is not aimed at you at all, it's just because I am on a rant here. If you are a human person who makes fun of baseball yet somehow thinks basketball is super duper exciting, you're a fucking clown. Your sport is fucking dumb, it's playoff structure is fucking dumb, and you are a moron for liking it.
I would actually argue that Basketball could be cut in half too!

But yeah, totally get your point.

• 2Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I really enjoy baseball, but I'll only watch a non-postseason game if it's the Reds or A's. I will watch non-Warriors and non-Bengals games all day. It's much more entertaining for a single game to me. Baseball is way too series-based to really enjoy a single game - which is why baseball postseason is so badass.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
The sport I play the most, by far, is basketball. So I don't want to have people think I hate the sport. I love the sport. But we are about to engage in this half-year fuckin' joke. The Warriors and the Cavs are the teams that are about to determine the championship. Maybe the Rockets will do something. Maybe. Beyond that, for the next few months we are about to watch a complete farce.

And I think people who consider baseball boring and then go watch a basketball game because, I dunno, someone dunks sometimes, are fucking retards.

• 2Solidarity

Sterling

El Presidente
Warriors, Cavs, Celtics, Spurs, Rockets can all win the title without it being some huge crazy thing. Anyone else would require some very strange happenings. The thing is in basketball you can have an upset in a series, but it's hard for a team to upset 2 or 3 teams in a row so you rarely get anything too crazy. Baseball has so many situational things, and you have different pitchers every game so it's much less predictable on the whole.

• 2Solidarity

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, the nature of the sport and length of playoffs series means, out of all the major sports, it's the one where the teams more consistently perform as expected. Goalies in hockey and pitchers in baseball add a lot more variability since they're more important positions compared to others. In basketball, each position is much closer to equal so there's more consistency.

I guess I just don't see that a negative. It means upsets are less frequent but more meaningful. Plus, I actually like watching good teams play well.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
For all of you Bregman fans out there. Here is your chance to ask him anything.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
For all of you Bregman fans out there. Here is your chance to ask him anything.

"When did you realize you could actually make it to the MLB? Obviously that's a lot of kids' dream but was there a point you thought "wow this could happen"?

"When I was 13 and tried out for the national team and made it."

"when i was 13 i got detention for writing all over my arms with a sharpie" Haha

FREE AGENCY IS STARTING BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Where will Stanton land? How scared is the fanbase for the team that pays Darvish all that money, going to be?! Are the Padres still a professional baseball team?!

2017-18 Top 50 MLB Free Agents With Predictions

^^^^ A perfect primer with expert predictions for free agent signings!

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Please be right again SI. Though I'm hoping to compete a little sooner than 2020.

DNqADu7V4AAx5ea.jpg

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Hmmm, I'll actually have to read that SI article when I get it in. The Reds have 5 prospects in the Top 100 (according to MLB.com), which is a really good amount. Only a couple of their prospects look like All-Star potential players (Senzel & Greene) though, which is obviously not set in stone. I am curious to see more in depth, as to why they think the Reds'.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, the nature of the sport and length of playoffs series means, out of all the major sports, it's the one where the teams more consistently perform as expected. Goalies in hockey and pitchers in baseball add a lot more variability since they're more important positions compared to others. In basketball, each position is much closer to equal so there's more consistency.

I guess I just don't see that a negative. It means upsets are less frequent but more meaningful. Plus, I actually like watching good teams play well.
I don't think it's necessarily a negative, it's just something different. There's something to be said for seeing the best team win most of the time, vs the excitement of the hot team winning. Don't think one is better, just different.

• 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
https://deadspin.com/roy-halladay-killed-in-plane-crash-1820229860

I was hoping there was some outside chance it wasn't him when his plane was found.

Man, Roy was an absolutely incredible pitcher who did most of his work in a stacked AL East. When he got to the Phillies, fans were really able to see how incredible he was. This sucks. I watched so much of Johan Santana and him up through high school & college etc. Rest in peace. He'll have his day in Cooperstown soon..

• 1Solidarity