MLB Hot Stove 2019

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Troy Tulowitzki agrees to league minimum deal with the Yankees, per Jeff Passan. He also follows that this absolutely does not rule the Yankees out on Machado.

Looks as if Passan himself signed with ESPN early today. ESPN still is shit.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic hears that Manny Machado's agent, Dan Lozano, "is barely engaging clubs at the moment, seemingly taking his time and waiting for a team to jump."

Rosenthal: The slow market for Harper and Machado is another...

Tl;dr (and subscription needed)
Market is slow. Kimbrel also, essentially, has no current market and is going to get WAY under the $100 million over 6 years he was hoping for. War is coming for 2021 CBA, and that luxury tax and players not getting paid in their prime years will be the main targets (arbitration years), aka front offices have become too risk averse/efficient.

Nats still a possibility? Think the idea of a really high 5-6 year offer is more plausible than ever for both guys. Then again, who walks away from a $350+ million offer with early opt outs?

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kimbrel cost himself a ton of money during the playoffs. Also doesn't help that there are a ton of relievers on the market.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Phillies meet with Bryce Harper in Las Vegas

As of right now, it sounds as if the White Sox are the favorite for Machado, and the Phillies for Harper. Apparently the White Sox are only offering "about $200 million" to Machado. Phillies trumpeting the Harper horn could be to put pressure on to Machado to make a decision. If the Phillies still land Machado, it's very possible Harper sees a short-term deal for really high AAV ($40 million). Wouldn't be surprised if that brings some of the big franchises in; Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees etc. Still shocked those three teams aren't really in on Harper anyways.... Then again, they may be awaiting "final bid" time.

HURRY THE FUCK UP OFFSEASON, Jesus...

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

Hope this happens. Gonna be a solid return, but one that shouldn't hurt the Reds much. Would love to get Stephenson (Catcher) from them.

Really curious what an extension will look like: 3 yrs, $40-45 million, maybe?

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
453A6511.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Looks like the Dodgers are talking to the White Sox about trading Joc Pederson. I really like him and he has come up solid for us in the last 2 post seasons. He os garbage against leftys though and that's why he will get traded.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Gray to Reds is done. Reds, not that it could have been any worse, have a much improved rotation. Roark, Wood, and Gray additions.

Yankees flip Shed Long for Josh Stowers from Mariners.

Still forever waiting on Harper & Machado...

Sterling

El Presidente
Is possible Gray does the AJ Burnett thing and pitches much better after leaving New York, but that's not a small contract for what he's done.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm

I'm gonna go for Larry Walker for most fucked over guy on that list. He won 3 batting titles, was home run king once, led the national league in assists 3 times, has a lifetime .313 average and hit almost 400 home runs. I'll admit to a bit of bias being Canadian myself too, but the guy should be in.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I'm gonna go for Larry Walker for most fucked over guy on that list. He won 3 batting titles, was home run king once, led the national league in assists 3 times, has a lifetime .313 average and hit almost 400 home runs. I'll admit to a bit of bias being Canadian myself too, but the guy should be in.
I think his time with the Rockies before they started humidifying the balls is a huge knock against him. I think he still has a chance but his home/away splits those seasons are pretty crazy.

Pyratec

I think his time with the Rockies before they started humidifying the balls is a huge knock against him. I think he still has a chance but his home/away splits those seasons are pretty crazy.

Got a link to a site I could see the home/away stats on? I checked a couple but it wasn't obvious and I would be interested to see those numbers. Thin air or not he hit .379 one year and the year he was home run king he also hit .366, man knew how to swing a bat. Tony Gwynn was also in his prime still playing those years he won the batting titles.

Sterling

El Presidente
Got a link to a site I could see the home/away stats on? I checked a couple but it wasn't obvious and I would be interested to see those numbers. Thin air or not he hit .379 one year and the year he was home run king he also hit .366, man knew how to swing a bat. Tony Gwynn was also in his prime those years he won the batting titles.
He hit .381 at Coors. 1.170 OPS. That's wild. I'll see if I can find the actual splits again later.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Larry Walker Career Batting Splits | Baseball-Reference.com

Total career he was a 1.068 OPS hitter at Home & a .865 hitter on the road. That's a massive split. Dude was a stud though.

Walker was also a really good all-around player as well, above-average defender, good baserunner etc. Hopefully he'll start trending up.

But the Coors Field thing is definitely hurting him. Which is a shame.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyratec

Larry Walker Career Batting Splits | Baseball-Reference.com

Total career he was a 1.068 OPS hitter at Home & a .865 hitter on the road. That's a massive split. Dude was a stud though.

Walker was also a really good all-around player as well, above-average defender, good baserunner etc. Hopefully he'll start trending up.

But the Coors Field thing is definitely hurting him. Which is a shame.

Took a look myself, he has 56% of his home runs at home, which isn´t that crazy but as you mentioned his OPS is a pretty big difference. He also hit .348 at home and .278 on the road, also a pretty big difference.

In his defence though, he had teammates and none of them managed to hit .350ish at Coors during the same time period so he was doing something right. I can understand the case against him a bit better now, but I still think he should be in.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user