MLB Hot Stove 2019

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Good for the Padres. Age 26-35 contract, he'll be worth it. Now time for that farm system (and it's an insane one) to come to fruition. Wonder if Keuchel is next, or maybe Kluber?!

Bet both of those guys were shocked that they didn't have their pick of teams: Alright Cashman, hop on the phone and give Bryce 5 years, $175 million with an opt out after 2 years.... Jim Bowden is still saying Bryce will get 10 years and roughly $330 million. Overpay to actually get him in to that shithole.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
As a Dodger fan not a fan of Machado going there combined with their probably best in baseball farm system. That being said I didn't want to give him a 10 year contract. I think the White Sox offeres him 8 year 250 with a 2 year option at 35 million each totalling 320 million. Plus reportadly additional incentives pudhing it to 330. Guess he didn't want to bet on himself.

Sterling

El Presidente
As a Dodger fan not a fan of Machado going there combined with their probably best in baseball farm system. That being said I didn't want to give him a 10 year contract. I think the White Sox offeres him 8 year 250 with a 2 year option at 35 million each totalling 320 million. Plus reportadly additional incentives pudhing it to 330. Guess he didn't want to bet on himself.
Or maybe he wants to stay in California? Might be worth losing less than 10 percent of a contract to him.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Or maybe he wants to stay in California? Might be worth losing less than 10 percent of a contract to him.

Maybe but he definitely didn't want to go to the Padres either, at least initially. 10% of 300 million isn't chump change. That's an extra year you didn't have to play.

Sterling

El Presidente
Maybe but he definitely didn't want to go to the Padres either, at least initially. 10% of 300 million isn't chump change. That's an extra year you didn't have to play.
With Cali taxes he is losing more than just 10%
I'm just saying once the money is to the point of being absurd you'll have other considerations as well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
No doubt I would rather be in San Diego than Chicago.

• 1Cutler
Reactions: 1 user

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Good on the rox for making this extension and fuck you for making me write this post.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sounds like Harper the the Phils. Holy shit a 13 year deal. No opt outs.

Last edited:

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Yeah. He's making less money than Machado. This is a weird deal because its less money for Harper and the Phillys get stuck way past Harpers prime.

• 1Like

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I get why Philly would do it this way. It keeps the AAV down. Once Trout hits FA good chance he ends up in Philly as well. Have to be thinking long term luxury tax here.
As for Harper probably could have gotten a bit more shorter term contract, but far less most likely.after 10 years out.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I get why Philly would do it this way. It keeps the AAV down. Once Trout hits FA good chance he ends up in Philly as well. Have to be thinking long term luxury tax here.
As for Harper probably could have gotten a bit more shorter term contract, but far less most likely.after 10 years out.
Sure. I mean I bet someone would have done like 5/160 or 5/165 or something but this does give him a lot total.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Yeah but he could have gotten 330 for 10 years. Anything after that is additional.

I doubt Phillies get Harper and Trout.

• 1Solidarity

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah but he could have gotten 330 for 10 years. Anything after that is additional.

I doubt Phillies get Harper and Trout.

Only other deal I've heard, and this was rumored was the Nationals offered him 10/300, but turned it down because it had deferrals till he was 62. No deferrals on the Philly deal. No clue what the Dodgers could have offered, or San Fran.

13 Years to an oft injured outfielder is not a deal I'd make though. Philly better pray the DH is brought into the NL in a few years.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I know Machado got offered 8 years 250 with a 2 year option at 35 per year. I assume he could have gotten something similar.

Regardles they will get 5-7 MVP level years out of him. Then 5-8 years of him being vastly overpaid. So they must expect to win in the next 5-7 years.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Still absolutely puzzled bythis deal. $25 million a year? Boras botched this, no way around it. Great deal the Phillies, especially considering $22 million /yr on the back end won't be much 8-9 years down the road. And no opt outs? What the fuck lol.

Giants had a $310 million for 12 years on the table, and word that the Dodgers were willing to "obliterate" the AAV mark on a 5 yr deal. Sure sounds like a 4-5 yr deal $150-190 million was possible. Surprised he didn't take that and then beton himself again. Hard to believe at 30-31 he wouldn't havebeen able to tack on an additional 3-5 year deal for at least $25-30 million per. He just came off arguably his worst year. Get back to 1.000 OPS Harper and 3 years down the road, that $25 million per is easily $35+ million.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Rumor is the Dodgers offered $225M for 5 years...so he clearly wanted long term and didn't want to hope teams late in his career. Which I can appreciate but it did cost him a lot of money.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Rumor is the Dodgers offered $225M for 5 years...so he clearly wanted long term and didn't want to hope teams late in his career. Which I can appreciate but it did cost him a lot of money.

Holy fuck. Huge mistake by them. $45 million per, Jesus...