MLB Hot Stove 2020: Congratulations to the nations capital

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I fucking hate you....
1156F6EE-AE57-4044-8A05-E7982DA77A58.jpeg

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm

can't afford the 1.2 million in rent...whoever owns the A's should probably think about selling the team if their finances are that bad

Henry Gardner, the interim head of the Coliseum Authority, said Thursday the A's told him they had "no ability to pay" the annual rent that was due last month, the Mercury News reported.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, and that is annual rent, not monthly. If they can't come up with $1.2m, how the fuck can they even be an MLB team? Their active payroll for 2020 is $93m, but they can't even pay their $1.2m rent?

The Oakland A's are that guy that buys a $60k car and is 3 months behind on his $400 a month rent.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I heard that on average, it would only take about $1.5m - $2m (non-bonus players) for teams to pay their entire minor league salaries. On top of that, the government would probably pay back a portion of that through the PPP. So, seriously fuck these Billionaires. I hope they can't come to terms and the season gets canceled. The sport needs major reform to get current with the times.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users
In many areas, not just MLB and not just sports. So many institutions are making poorly thought out, haphazard, probably eventually costly mistakes.

Taking a scythe to your minor league system is like saying to Brittney Spears "You have to stop being nothing more than a female Michael Jackson impersonator because MJ was a creep."

It just doesn't make sense.
44c0qc.jpg

Forget about it Britney, it's the music biz

Sterling

El Presidente
Yankees cutting 45 minor leaguers out of almost 350 isn't remotely the same thing as the A's just not paying their minor leaguers without releasing them to find other jobs or not paying their stadium rent.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am going to be really upset if pitchers don't get an opportunity to bean the Houston Asterisks this year.

• 3Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users