MMA Thread

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
i can't believe 125 midgets were more exciting to watch than isszy
Yeah, that fight was definitely fun, genuine emotion afterwards and pretty gracious in defeat. Good stuff.

Not sure what to think of the Izzy fight. Obviously in control the entire time, but even with all the leg kicks landed, I didn't see much redness on Vitorri's leg. Still he's the king of the division of course, but would have liked to see a little more aggressiveness and some kind of finish.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that fight was definitely fun, genuine emotion afterwards and pretty gracious in defeat. Good stuff.

Not sure what to think of the Izzy fight. Obviously in control the entire time, but even with all the leg kicks landed, I didn't see much redness on Vitorri's leg. Still he's the king of the division of course, but would have liked to see a little more aggressiveness and some kind of finish.
Eh, that's kind of Izzy though. If anything, he's more a "points" fighter than a knockout artist. I'd really love to see Wonderboy go up to middleweight and fight him, since they both rely so heavily on kicks and have a kickboxing background. I just don't think Thompson will ever go up and Izzy has 4 inches of height on him, which is massive for reach.

So happy for Moreno. Seems like a genuinely good dude and I love the way he fights. Problem is, him and Fig are the only thing keeping that division from total irrelevance. UFC better hope Fig takes the title back so they can just keep putting those 2 against each other over and over.

Izzy's win was expected and I loved when he was making fun of Vittori for acting like he was going to get his hand raised at the end. Normally, I can't stand fighters who have a huge ego, but for some reason Izzy makes it funny/hilarious. Whittaker is really the only fight you can make and if he wins that, I don't know. Maybe he takes another crack at Lt. Heavy?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Eh, that's kind of Izzy though. If anything, he's more a "points" fighter than a knockout artist. I'd really love to see Wonderboy go up to middleweight and fight him, since they both rely so heavily on kicks and have a kickboxing background. I just don't think Thompson will ever go up and Izzy has 4 inches of height on him, which is massive for reach.

So happy for Moreno. Seems like a genuinely good dude and I love the way he fights. Problem is, him and Fig are the only thing keeping that division from total irrelevance. UFC better hope Fig takes the title back so they can just keep putting those 2 against each other over and over.

Izzy's win was expected and I loved when he was making fun of Vittori for acting like he was going to get his hand raised at the end. Normally, I can't stand fighters who have a huge ego, but for some reason Izzy makes it funny/hilarious. Whittaker is really the only fight you can make and if he wins that, I don't know. Maybe he takes another crack at Lt. Heavy?
izzys just fucking boring since he became champ, it's the opposite of usman.

usman was forever boring as fuck sniffing crotch, the only time i didn't mind him sniffing crotch was against woodley and thats cuz he made woodley look like a rag doll.

then ever since colby, usman started cracking

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Anthony Anderson Emmys 2019 GIF by Emmys

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Izzy isn't quite late-Bones style of boring, but he isn't far away.

He's quickly become one of the less exciting PPV headliners on the UFC roster.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe he takes another crack at Lt. Heavy

He'd have to bulk up at least a little bit, which might make his middleweight cuts substantially harder. He came in 5 pounds under against Blachowicz so who knows how much weight he was giving up on fight night.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Obviously I wasn't watching UFC when Demian Maia was on top, but I've never watched any of his older fights either. I've never seen the guy before this past weekend, I just knew his name and popularity. I can't believe how many of those takedowns Belal stuffed. Between that fight and the main event, this card seemed like it had 2 fights where every round was just the same thing over and over again.

I've watched a ton of Nate Diaz fights and was pretty excited to watch him live with my wife that's never seen him before. That wobble he got on Edwards in R5 was the high point of our night, along with his post-fight press conference.

The last Figueiredo v Moreno fight was one of the best fights I've watched live and I was a little bit disappointed that we didn't get the same fireworks this time, but Moreno looked great and I'm really happy to see him win the belt.

Good night overall. We wanted to do a party for this one, but my Dad called on Monday and asked if he could come visit so we skipped the party and just saved the fights for Sunday after they left. This was the first time my daughter was half watching the fights with us and she started trying to head kick me during the Adesanya fight, so I guess I need to start teaching her that there's a time and place to kick people in the face and that time isn't when Daddy is having a beer.

edit: We had the prelims on in the garage on Saturday, but I was doing a bunch of sanding and I guess I missed the 7 second KO and injury. I couldn't find a good clip on youtube. Anyone have a clip of that?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Obviously I wasn't watching UFC when Demian Maia was on top, but I've never watched any of his older fights either. I've never seen the guy before this past weekend, I just knew his name and popularity. I can't believe how many of those takedowns Belal stuffed. Between that fight and the main event, this card seemed like it had 2 fights where every round was just the same thing over and over again.

I've watched a ton of Nate Diaz fights and was pretty excited to watch him live with my wife that's never seen him before. That wobble he got on Edwards in R5 was the high point of our night, along with his post-fight press conference.

The last Figueiredo v Moreno fight was one of the best fights I've watched live and I was a little bit disappointed that we didn't get the same fireworks this time, but Moreno looked great and I'm really happy to see him win the belt.

Good night overall. We wanted to do a party for this one, but my Dad called on Monday and asked if he could come visit so we skipped the party and just saved the fights for Sunday after they left. This was the first time my daughter was half watching the fights with us and she started trying to head kick me during the Adesanya fight, so I guess I need to start teaching her that there's a time and place to kick people in the face and that time isn't when Daddy is having a beer.

edit: We had the prelims on in the garage on Saturday, but I was doing a bunch of sanding and I guess I missed the 7 second KO and injury. I couldn't find a good clip on youtube. Anyone have a clip of that?
i still remember when maia just had his way with carlos condit

carlos is by no means a scrub or over the hill, the fight b4 this is like one of the longest greatest most grueling fights against robbie

(obviously these are best links to find cuz of copyright)

and carlos is a brown or purple? but maia just son'd him.

like it was deliverance type levels of "i can't watch this"

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Maia is a black belt who submits black belts. The problem is for most of his career in the octagon he threw away his pedigree trying to box people around.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maia has had a long career with high points and low points. Remember his fight against Anderson Silva being particularly embarrassing for both their careers. Maia laid on his back trying to get Anderson to come down to his guard and Anderson just kicked him on the ground for 5 rounds. Dana tried to bury them both after that fight.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
Maia used to be one of those guys I looked forward to watching because I knew it would be something different from the usual ground and pound style that was so dominant at the time. Similar to Karo Parisyan; you always knew you'd get to see someone tossed on their head when he fought. It's too bad his career got tossed on it's head when he got a bit too big for his britches

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Maia is also 43. Speaking as a 42 year old active in jiu jitsu, I'm just impressed he's able to still perform at this kinda sub-par level.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Maia is also 43. Speaking as a 42 year old active in jiu jitsu, I'm just impressed he's able to still perform at this kinda sub-par level.
were you more impressed by his 15th failed single leg or that he was practically facing a one legged savant?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

Figueiredo might be moving up, after that cut. Maia out of ufc per dana. Maia wanted to fight daiz in his final ufc fight.

post the link but didn't label it

• 1Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
price vs lima should be an absolute blinder. fuck yeah wonderboy title run comeback. and i love how bored ryan hall is all the time. vid related.