MMA Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This is mostly the usual Zuffa posturing bullshit. They're trying to make Jones look bad publicly because he's on his last contracted fight, meaning it's time to negotiate a new contract. Dana and co are in full on devalue mode with him right now. And JJ is in a pretty strong position to sign a game-changing deal, between being essentially an undefeated champion in their marquee division who has sort of cleaned it out and the way Melendez managed to back down Zuffa for a big contract he feels like he can really get something big out of them. So in part I think he's really just stalling to put Zuffa in a bad position.

Now, obviously, Zuffa brass do not want him setting any kind of precedent. And despite the fact he's crazy entertaining he hasn't been the PPV draw that guys like GSP or Anderson Silva were. So it's a weird situation. He is sort of actively ducking Gus and Cormier, but it doesn't really have anything to do with in-ring things. It sucks for them, but for him it's the smart move. Beating either of them pretty much leaves him exactly where he is right now. He's already beaten everyone and there will always be someone new they can point at. And if he loses he damages his negotiating position significantly.

Think about what he's done. Before him no one defended the LHW belt more than once in like 6 years or some shit. He has defended it 7 times against everyone they could throw at him. And right now they have a full on campaign to make him look like a coward and a chump. With 2 contenders chiming in(probably with some prodding from Dana and Co.) to add legitimacy to the claims.

Anyways, that's my take on what's actually happening. A bunch of posturing. I think we'll see an announcement of the Gus fight the same day a new contract is announced.
Thanks for posting this before I had to. JJ and Zuffa are posturing. JJ knows the only way to get Anderson Silva money is to be a pain like Anderson Silva. JJ has good reason to be annoyed by the fact that the top 2-5 guys rarely fight each other, and instead fight the 5-15 ranked guys until they get a shot at the title but that's not unique to him and is just part of being the champion.

I'd rather see JJ fight Cormier next anyway, then the winner fights Gus.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm torn. I think it's a bit ridiculous to give Cormier a title shot already, but I guess he's the only guy really in contention atm other than Gus.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
JJ wants to further secure his legacy by racking up as many consecutive LHW title defenses as he can, because he knows eventually he will lose. He sees DC as an easier opponent (not to say he's easy) and doesn't give a fuck about what anyone else deserves.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Personally I think it should be simple. You are the champion and are getting paid well for being a champion. Your job is to simply accept whatever fight the UFC puts on your plate and then smash them like the champion you are. That is what truly builds great legacies. Look at Mayweather. Hes a great boxer and still undefeated but people feel he ducked fights and so his legacy is in some ways tainted.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
JJ/Gus set for September 27th.

In an exclusive interview with UFC President Dana White and UFC light heavyweight Jon Jones, it was announced that the rematch between Jones and number one contender Alexander Gustafsson has been set for September 27th.

After returning from a trip to South America Jones finally had a chance to sit down with White and UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta today to talk about his next fight.

"There was never an issue with a contract. I was traveling and finally got to Vegas and got to talk with Dana and Lorezno. We talked and September 27th, I'll be fighting Gustafsson," Jones explained.

"I think Cormier is the tougher fighter, but the fans want to see me fight Gustafsson. There was never an issue with taking the Gustafsson fight," Jones said. "The issue was that my brother is getting married in July and I would have preferred a later date. I didn't want to go this early and i would have preferred to go later in October or November. It is what it is. We have a date now, Sept 27th. This was a personal decision for me. I will be at my brother's wedding and have a proper training camp."

"Obviously Jon is right, this if the fight the fans want to see. The great thing about this is, we get Jones vs Gustaffson, and if Jones beast Gustafsson, we get Jones vs Cormier. Two great fights in the light heavyweight division with three of the baddest guys in the world: the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world and champion Jon Jones, and the number one and two contenders," UFC President Dana White Commented.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I honestly hope Jones destroys Gustaffson just to shut people up about the whole "ducking" BS. Glad it is finally settled

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I hope he breaks his toe again, except this time the ref sees it and stops the fight, giving the belt to Gustaffson.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I hope he breaks his toe again, except this time the ref sees it and stops the fight, giving the belt to Gustaffson.
Why would you hope for an anti-climactic ending?

Also if the ref noticed his toe in the Chael fight iirc it would've been a draw and JJ would've kept the belt.

I'm glad they set a date that's not too far off. It also seems like Dana is perfectly okay with giving Cormier the next shot. Hopefully he also makes DC fight before then even if it's not a tough opponent. I hate when contenders stay on the shelf.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Really wanted Jones and Cormier but the rematch with Gus will suffice. At least we know we are getting two guys that are at the top of their game that'll probably be one of the best fights of the year...but damn do I wanna see Jones vs Cormier.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with Gustaffson/Jones 2 (you're not the only one CJ, not trying to pick on you). The last fight was somewhat above average, imo~

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I loved the last fight...just think there's more hype and excitement around a Jones/Cormier fight. The UFC has done a shit job promoting Gustaffson (I can't even spell his name right). Even though we know how bad ass he is, and even though he took it to the champ, it seems like nobody cares.

edit: And that isn't how you promote the P4P best in the world...maybe they'll figure it out by September, but it really just feels like Jones is gonna walk thru him the way they are handling it right now. And I know that Jones is gonna have his hands full, but at the same time the way they are going about it just seems like Jones is going to walk thru him just to meet Cormier. I honestly like it deep down but damn I don't wanna wait for Jones/Cormier.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Well the biggest things about it to me are the fact that Gustaffson absolutely deserves this rematch after the last fight (I think had it been just a normal main event and not a championship he would have won), he should have been given an immediate rematch instead of having both fighters fight other dudes, and the great possibility of another epic/foty caliber match. Yes, I'm a DC fan and I want to see him fight Jones, but Gustaffson is simply more deserving of another shot at the title right now. Hype and promotion be damned.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
My problem with the immediate rematches is that it completely stops the rest of the contenders for an extended period of time. Unless the fight is truly controversial, like in the case of Machida vs Rua I, or a draw like Edgar vs Maynard, I just don't like immediate rematches. Yes, it was a close fight but I don't think it was at all controversial like some claim it to be. I agree that through the first 3 rounds it was 2-1 Gustaffson, but Jones pretty clearly took rounds 4 and 5.

Either way, I was looking forward to a rematch at some point cause you knew it would happen. It is going to be a fantastic fight no matter who wins, and Cormier will give the winner a hell of a fight as well.