MMA Thread

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
I like that fighting style personally, because it is a display of total dominance as long as they one on top stays busy with punches. I really enjoy when the ground game gets some high level BJJ in the mix, that shit is really exciting to me. I understand what you mean the average fan will think that is boring.

Wrestling can be dominant - every belt at 155 or higher right now is being won by high-level wrestlers: Khabib, Woodley, GSP, DC, and Stipe. None of those guys are exciting fighters. Watching Khabib, DC, and Stipe we've witnessed that "display of total dominance" and it's as boring as it is effective.

The average fan sees one dude sitting on top of another and laying in some vicious ground and pound until the other dude gives up or referee stoppage.

It's the current evolution of MMA, it's boring to the average fan, and it's why Conor is smart to sit out and develop his defense.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
As someone who started watching not long ago and really knows very little about MMA, I think the commentary can make a world of difference in those situations. I felt Dom did a good job talking through what Stipe was doing when he was on top of Ngannou, what he was looking for, what he was avoiding, what Ngannou was enduring, things like that help a lot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wrestling can be dominant - every belt at 155 or higher right now is being won by high-level wrestlers: Khabib, Woodley, GSP, DC, and Stipe. None of those guys are exciting fighters. Watching Khabib, DC, and Stipe we've witnessed that "display of total dominance" and it's as boring as it is effective.

The average fan sees one dude sitting on top of another and laying in some vicious ground and pound until the other dude gives up or referee stoppage.

It's the current evolution of MMA, it's boring to the average fan, and it's why Conor is smart to sit out and develop his defense.

Lets see Khabib handle Tony and Conor before we quite crown him yet.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

woodley,gsp,dc,stipe

lay and pray, i mean congratulate stipe, he was a fucking Jansport on francais

but Khabib makes meat sound fx

i think he was actually more ferocious w/ barboza recently.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Lets see Khabib handle Tony and Conor before we quite crown him yet.

Tony has no chance in that fight.

Conor needs to stuff takedowns and get a clean shot. If Khabib can land a takedown, it's going to go just like Barboza and Conor can only hope it's with 30 seconds left in the round not 4 minutes of ground and pound. Conor can win by knockout but he only gets that opportunity when he's standing.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Tony has no chance in that fight.

Conor needs to stuff takedowns and get a clean shot. If Khabib can land a takedown, it's going to go just like Barboza and Conor can only hope it's with 30 seconds left in the round not 4 minutes of ground and pound. Conor can win by knockout but he only gets that opportunity when he's standing.

Look at the shots he took from Johnson before he was able to get inside. He won't be able to take clean shots like that from Conor

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Look at the shots he took from Johnson before he was able to get inside. He won't be able to take clean shots like that from Conor

That's my concern for Khabib in a match up with Conor. But obviously, that fight is very dependent on whether or not he can land clean shots or if Khabib can take him down early in a round.

Still not counting out Tony, either.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider

That's why I give Conor a shot - he's got a puncher's chance, but Conor needs to stuff takedown after takedown. It's a great matchup and why Stipe's last fight was intriguing - will the striker win before he's exposed by a superior grappler, will superior power defeat superior endurance?

Make no mistake, Conor and Khabib on the ground will be just as stupid as Stipe and Ngannou - Khabib will be more entertaining and punishing, but the most Conor can do is hold out til the next round. Conor's got to knock the guy out to win and he's got to stuff takedowns to keep his hopes alive.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

UFC newcomer Michal Oleksiejczuk (13-2, 10 win streak) notified of potential anti-doping violation from UFC 219

-

UFC ranking updated, nothing really
Ngannou still #1
Anderson Silva removed from rankings
so even Uriah Hall got to move up 1, supposedly he is looking to move to 205

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider

I will go ahead and reiterate what I said last weekend. DC is a legit guy that can beat Stipe. That's a tough fight, but I got DC. Which shakes things up a good bit. DC wants to retire and be done with MMA by March 2019...is the swan song fight with Jones at HW? I think Jones would have more problems there. Very interesting to me. But let's not forget Stipe. Stipe surprises a lot of us everytime. What isn't so awesome about him is how he gasses. He had the better gas tank in the Ngannou fight....not sure he'll have it here. DC is very well rounded (no pun intended) and has slammed Josh Barnett like it was staged.

Last edited:

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Anything can happen...I don't really see it against DC though. I like Stipe...and it'll be shit for the HW division for DC to win because he will probably fight Jones again and put the rest of the division at a stalemate, but DC is the guy at HW. I like him much better at HW that Jones, even though DC is so small in stature. Jones is a big guy, but he's mostly just long. Maybe JJ will get that Brock fight he was asking for and the winner will fight the winner of DC and SM.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My vote is for stipe.

Cain probably can't even train with dc, so he's fucked. I think they said Cain has to wear a metal brace

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I'd love to see Stipe beat him, but I don't think he has the stamina for it. Unless Stipe takes DC out quick, DC will just wear him down.