MMA Thread

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Furgeson is a lean guy but he is tall enough to add weight to his frame.

200 is kind of ridiculous, but Gustafsson said he usually walks around at 235-240 between camps. He makes 205 pretty comfortably, but said he COULD fight at heavyweight if he wanted.

So Tony getting to 155 from 200 isn't so outlandish but he is rehabbing an injury and a 45 pound cut isn't realistic, he probably walks around at 190 usually.

That tweet is from October of last year.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Well I'll be damned if that isn't a Tito Ortiz-esque prank where he was holding a 25lb weight. If real-- I'm dead wrong about Tony's size.

If you think Tony walks around at 175 I have no words. Tony is listed at 5'11" (for comparison, Nate Diaz is listed at 6'0") – that's a lot of mass even when you're lean.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you think Tony walks around at 175 I have no words. Tony is listed at 5'11" (for comparison, Nate Diaz is listed at 6'0") – that's a lot of mass even when you're lean.

I still have his TUF appearance as my imprint, so I'm probably biased. I can't remember if that was one of the seasons with dual weight classes competing, but I remember him not looking like 2 bills on there.

I can't be alone on that. The guy just doesn't look like 2 bills. I know a guy who's 5'11 and 2 bills and he's pretty jacked like Tim Kennedy. Big muscles all over. Tony doesn't get fat as far as I know. I just don't see 2 bills on that guy. Khabib is a 2 bills guy. This could be a stunt by Tony and I have a right to be skeptical.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I mean the same guy who was kicking a lead pipe to look like the big man who hits hard, the same guy who was wearing sunglasses indoors trying really hard to look cool and then tripped and ripped his leg off, that same guy isn't going bullshit weight for the hype, or to respond to "haters" who said he's under-sized? Tony Ferguson is image conscious.

Until proven otherwise I gotta say you're buying into his stunts. The guy is all about image. If TUF revealed anything its that he's insecure about how people see him and talk about him. The pipe skit, the glasses, cmon on.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I don't usually watch MMA much anymore. I watched it a lot when UFC was new. Are these Saturday night events on FS1 worth watching or is it like the old WWF where its fighting a bunch of no name guys for filler?

Last edited:

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Does Tony normally walk around at 200? I don't think so.

What's your over/under on his normal weight? 185? 190? 180?

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
I don't usually watch MMA much anymore. I watched it a lot when UFC was new. Are these Saturday night events on FS1 worth watching or is it like the old WWF where its fighting a bunch of no name guys for filler.

They're hit or miss. Often the headliner is better than a lot of main event fights on PPV cards (e.g., Lee vs Barboza tonight could go on any main event card), but the depth of talent is usually lacking.

Given UFC's matchmaking lately, quality of fights vs a big PPV card is a coin flip.

Edgar-Swanson is another big fight tonight with title fight implications – #3 vs #4 guy in the division. The rest of the card might not be good, but those last two fights are worth checking out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
They're hit or miss. Often the headliner is better than a lot of main event fights on PPV cards (e.g., Lee vs Barboza tonight could go on any main event card), but the depth of talent is usually lacking.

Given UFC's matchmaking lately, quality of fights vs a big PPV card is a coin flip.

Edgar-Swanson is another big fight tonight with title fight implications – #3 vs #4 guy in the division. The rest of the card might not be good, but those last two fights are worth checking out.

Thanks Yamikazo. I think I am going to watch tonight and try to get more involved with watching MMA again.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Holy hell, the end to that fight. Any one slip-up can put a guy away. Simon kept his wits about him. Ref did an excellent job, though I don't totally understand the ruling.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
The guy was out for 40 seconds. Brain damage 100%

He was out? Dude made eye contact with the ref and gave him a thumbs up.

Ref gave the guy every chance. Ref watched it play out, made contact with the fighter, and even checked the guy's arm to see if he was responsive.

With replay, slow-mo, and a million camera angles you have access to a lot of data that the ref doesn't, but I liked it.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Agree. That choke was in DEEP from the start and there was no defense.

Thrilling finish with one eye on the choke and one eye on the clock. If that fight is five seconds shorter, we might have a different outcome. Not sure I've seen a choke that deep for so long and "last" up to the bell.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Usman vs. Ponzinibio is off for UFC Chile...Shogun vs. Volkan has also been pulled from the card. I don't see anyone stepping up to fight Usman on a month notice in Chile. Good chance they card might get scrapped.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
3 minutes of fighting 20 minutes of commercials and bullshit. That knee to the face by Hooker was nice though.

Johns looked totally outclassed by Sterling.

Last edited:

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
3 minutes of fighting 20 minutes of commercials and bullshit. That knee to the face by Hooker was nice though.

Early stoppages will do that. If the next two fighters are preparing to go into the cage in 30 minutes, is it fair to walk in and say, "Hey, hope you're ready because you walk up in 60 seconds?" These guys warm up and prepare to start at a certain time. This isn't a high school competition where you deal with it, these are world-class competitors at the pinnacle of their sport.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Early stoppages will do that. If the next two fighters are preparing to go into the cage in 30 minutes, is it fair to walk in and say, "Hey, hope you're ready because you walk up in 60 seconds?" These guys warm up and prepare to start at a certain time. This isn't a high school competition where you deal with it, these are world-class competitors at the pinnacle of their sport.

It would not be fair to change on the fly for sure. I think it has more to do with filling 2 hours though.

Last edited: