MMA Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Black Beast
Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show

100mins in

Volkov was so punch drunk, he was repeating Black Beasts' corners advice

BB said he worked that mouthpiece incident. If you rewatch it, volkov said, yea that mouth piece, it's his

so BB was like, SURE Herb, gimme

then he's like "naw i still got mine"

(he was doing all this to get rest)

Then volkov was like naw, wash it first!

BB was like "cool more rest for me"

=
Anthony Petis

Yea i knew it, he faked that hand injury so he could quit, he was done at the end of r2
UFC 229 medical suspensions: Five, including Anthony Pettis, get potential six-month sits

his nose is busted, no mention of his hand, if you rewatch the corner, petis didn't say shit about his hand hurting it was just roofus saying, your hand is broke your hand is broke, and put it in his head, to make him quit.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Dana talked about this at the post-fight press conference.

NSAC is withholding Khabib's show purse ($2 million). NSAC doesn't have jurisdiction over the PPV bonuses, but Dana said that won't be available for months or a long time.

Khabib is rich AF and his normal show purse has been like $20k. Dude hasn't gotten paid in the past and the money means nothing to him. If he's demanding A-side money it's just a way to flex over Conor in the mental warfare game. Khabib will have some big edges in mental warfare in a rematch, but he's also going to be traveling with his B team because his normal entourage is banned.

––

Tony vs Conor I imagine will at least be an interim belt. Allows Dana to sell the fight, hype it's for the belt, and kicks the can on Khabib (stripping him, banning from UFC, watching him "retire," whatever). Can always elevate the winner to undisputed afterwards and interim champs still get PPV buys so no one will really object. I think Tony poses as big a stylistic problem for Conor as Khabib does. Conor doesn't have any easy fights to make (even if he goes back down to 145, he's fighting Max who fights a lot like Tony and will give Conor fits or he's fighting T-City who like Khabib will wrangle Conor on the ground). He's lost 3 of his last 4 fights, and the only win was a controversial decision vs Nate fucking Diaz. Conor's star power is at serious risk, but the Khabib shenanigans give him a mulligan in public perception because no one's going to remember it.

––

I'd rather see Stipe rematch DC than Black Beast, but DC knows which of those two fights carries more risk and he wants to ride his career out on top as the champ ($) and with those sweet PPV buys ($$$) especially for that stupid Lesnar fight. Whatever DC, you're the man, you deserve it, but Stipe is getting the red-headed stepchild treatment.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
He's lost 3 of his last 4 fights, and the only win was a controversial decision vs Nate fucking Diaz.

Hate to bring up the stat check on a great Conor sucks rant...but he's only lost 2 fights total in the UFC.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Ya, even if we include boxing (which we shouldn't), he's lost 2 of his last 4, not 3 of his last 4
Hate to bring up the stat check on a great Conor sucks rant...but he's only lost 2 fights total in the UFC.

And his last win was to win the belt from Eddie Alvarez, not the Diaz fight

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When we look back at the Conor era, the most remarkable thing about him (other than his talking) will be his ability to make 145 lbs at his size. He crushed all those guys because they could not take a punch from a man so much bigger than them.

From there, he gets a free title shot at Lightweight on Eddie Alvarez without having to go through the meat grinder of that division. While guys like Kahbib, Ferguson, Poirier, Barboza, Pettis, Diaz, Gaethje, and Lee were all being thrown in against one another for years.

Dana and other UFC management ruined the sport by selling out to Rhonda, Conor and chasing bigger PPV buys. Free, instant title shots. Letting the belts go uncontested (350 & 511 days) while Conor went off and fucked around in a THIRD weight division and did boxing. The miss-management of the sport and the UFC brand is so greedy and pathetic.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
When we look back at the Conor era, the most remarkable thing about him (other than his talking) will be his ability to make 145 lbs at his size. He crushed all those guys because they could not take a punch from a man so much bigger than them.

From there, he gets a free title shot at Lightweight on Eddie Alvarez

...who also couldn't take a punch from him

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Anthony Petis

Yea i knew it, he faked that hand injury so he could quit, he was done at the end of r2
UFC 229 medical suspensions: Five, including Anthony Pettis, get potential six-month sits

his nose is busted, no mention of his hand, if you rewatch the corner, petis didn't say shit about his hand hurting it was just roofus saying, your hand is broke your hand is broke, and put it in his head, to make him quit.

That's not what that says. It says that he's medically suspended for six months or whenever his nose is cleared by a doctor. A broken hand will be well healed in the time his nose is ready to get punched again, and so doesn't factor into the maximum limit and wasn't listed.

You could see that Pettis' hand was broken in the cage. His fingers were pointing in directions that fingers don't point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Dana is still an asshat, but I saw the original footage and had a different take. He said the UFC wasn't going to unilaterally strip Khabib immediately, but if the suspension were for a long time it's still on the table to happen later. The stripping would be a consequence of the suspension and not a direct punishment for jumping the cage.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I'm sure Conor learned a lot about Khabib and given how he handled himself in the rematch with Diaz after getting pretty much the same treatment, I haven't completely written him off. I don't really care what their next move is at 155 because it'll have people interested either way. Despite how everything shook out, it's got to be good for business moving forward. Too many narratives to in the lightweight division to make everyone 100% happy.

I love Derrick Lewis but I don't see him beating DC, Stipe, or Cain. Would like to see him against Blaydes, JDS, or a rematch with Ngannou first.