MMA Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
TJs knees get buckled at least twice and he really isn't intelligently defending himself, it was a clean stop. Yes, the ref could have let TJ get beaten up more before he stopped it but it wouldn't have changed anything and TJ wouldn't have been any less humiliated.

+1. Just because TJ recovered quickly after the stoppage doesn't mean he would have recovered while getting blasted in the face. Dana's just talking shit in order to hype a future rematch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
If by "intelligently defending himself" you mean he might be kinda sorta falling towards Henry's body in an attempt to grab on and close the distance, you're right. That's as gracious an interpretation as I can give him and I'm not sure if that's enough of a reason to keep an incredibly dehydrated guy out there who's getting his head beat in.

TJ wasn't able to muster anything beyond a half-assed maybe kinda sorta and was taking a lot of punishment. The refs are about fighter safety #1 and most times fights are going to get stopped sooner these days than in the past (same way football has targeting, blows to the head, etc.).

Surely the ref had TJ's brutal weight cut in mind and knew he was watching massive brain trauma – he could have let TJ go on like a gladiator and let him get killed out there, but instead he stepped in for the sake of the fighter's safety.

Don't like that? Go find some underground cage fighting ring without any refs. Between the optics and the science in 2019, this is what you get out of professional sports.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If by "intelligently defending himself" you mean he might be kinda sorta falling towards Henry's body in an attempt to grab on and close the distance, you're right. That's as gracious an interpretation as I can give him and I'm not sure if that's enough of a reason to keep an incredibly dehydrated guy out there who's getting his head beat in.

TJ wasn't able to muster anything beyond a half-assed maybe kinda sorta and was taking a lot of punishment. The refs are about fighter safety #1 and most times fights are going to get stopped sooner these days than in the past (same way football has targeting, blows to the head, etc.).

Surely the ref had TJ's brutal weight cut in mind and knew he was watching massive brain trauma – he could have let TJ go on like a gladiator and let him get killed out there, but instead he stepped in for the sake of the fighter's safety.

Don't like that? Go find some underground cage fighting ring without any refs. Between the optics and the science in 2019, this is what you get out of professional sports.

squintydicaprioface.jpg

• 1Like

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
squintydicaprioface.jpg
youknowhesrightMF.jpg
455865-2e2f8ade05036e1e94866257aec372ef.png

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Did ya'll see Glover rise from the dead (being an underdog), nearly KO'd 2x and STILL he was able to get in position and choke out roberson. why? Cuz mirgliotta knew that Glover is a fucking vet and can weather any storm, mirgliotta also DQ'd that wife beater guy for the illegal knee.

Then you have this ref fuck up TJ vs. cejudo.

Yes, TJ was AT LEAST out once and cejudo donkey punched him awake.

Yes, TJ looked really sloven compared to his BW showing, did you see that sloppy overhand right he threw and cejudo just pushed his dumb ass backwards?

Yes, TJ in all likelyhood wouldn't have come back from that, cejudo was raining down the pain, and the thought that TJ was trying to single leg cejudo(when the ref called it), is stupid and silly, considering its fucking cejudo... TJ is gonna get him on a stanky single leg attempt?

HOWEVER, they're both champs and vets, two (tiny) men enter, one man leaves, imo.

• 3WTF
  • 1Potato
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah...except I really wouldn't have complained if the Glover fight had been stopped. It isn't the refs job to make sure we're entertained, it's the refs job to ensure that the rules are followed and to protect the long-term health of fighters.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
It wasn't a bad stoppage but goddamn I would have loved to see Cejudo beat up "Killashaw" some more. WTF kind of idiot nicknames himself Killashaw?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I always look at early stoppage like you would with the saying don't leave it up too the judges. Don't put yourself in a position where the ref can stop the fight.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
protect the long-term health of fighters.

This is an important point. If we're going to pretend that we care about fighter health, the fighters participating in the match are probably the last people who we should to go for evaluations of a stoppage. I've been involved in submission grappling competition for 10+ years and the rules there are essentially reversed. The refs have very little discretion to end fights to protect the athletes. A dozen times a tournament you see people let a joint get shredded because they think they can keep going. It essentially never works that way, but they keep trying.

Combat athletes are trained to both injure each other and undergoing extreme discomfort in the processes. It should not be a surprise that they are terrible judges of their own safety. The other guy complaining is Dana, so... take that as you will.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think the weight cut thing is a fascinating subject.

Because when you look at this fight, I think TJ as well as his supporters, are factoring the cut in when they make assessments of the outcome.

They are thinking, like probably most UFC fans, that the brutal cut was very taxing, and therefore Dillashaw deserves some kind of added sympothy.

No, he doesnt.

It was his decision to take that fight and agree to make that cut, just to be a double champ. He wanted to just snatch Cejudo's belt and then go fight Holloway.

Doesnt work like that. Sadly him and Ludwig have to go back to the drawing board and learn an important lesson regarding switching weight classes.

I mean yea the rapid weight loss and dehydration were absolutely a factor, but it is a risk you take.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I think the stoppage was fine but I can understand TJs reaction, weeks of work and sacrifice for a crazy weight cut with a single objective in mind only to have it taken away in seconds, its gotta feel unfair.
It really wasn't though, and I hope he can see that with some time and I think I'd like to see this fight at 135 with new stakes.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Weight cutting doesnt make sense when it's the extreme variety. Guys are simply waning down too far, looking depleted, and end up suffering brain trauma or are just plain shit when it comes to performing.

Like I said, I get the aspect of TJ feeling extra robbed because all the effort made cutting weight. But he was being greedy, just trying to collect belts and separate himself from the process of earning a title shot the traditional way.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TJ is a whiny little bitch that always thinks he is the best.

He got his ass beat in 30 seconds and he is trying to save face. I was happy with the stoppage but would like to have seen TJ get busted up some more.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Any fighters or pros think it was an early stoppage? dana does, but thats cuz he wants to get rid of 125, rogan and his thinks it was early, what do fighters say?

Goatface

think the challenger in these champ/champ fights should have to vacate their belts on lost

TJ should fight again this year, but how long is it going to take him to get back? July/Aug?
isn't like he has been super active in the last few years anyway

2019= 1; 18= 1; 17= 1; 16= 3; 15= 1; 14= 3; 13= 3; 12= 2; 11= 1; 10= 4

looks like Henry is meeting dana soon about the future of the 125
seems like TJ thinks is should get a rematch, most likely at 135