MMA Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Goatface

When will Shaub just go away? He provides nothing of value

Reddit KOs Piracy-Focused MMA Community, Ex-UFC Fighter Gets The Blame

Piracy of UFC and other live MMA events got a little bit harder this week after Reddit banned its popular /r/mmastreams sub-Reddit. Following numerous copyright infringement complaints, the 165,000 member community must now find a new home. After a controversial Twitter outburst, some believe that an ex-UFC fighter should shoulder some of the blame

==

anyone know where they went to? seems there is another site setup already

Jive Turkey

Karen
Reddit KOs Piracy-Focused MMA Community, Ex-UFC Fighter Gets The Blame

Piracy of UFC and other live MMA events got a little bit harder this week after Reddit banned its popular /r/mmastreams sub-Reddit. Following numerous copyright infringement complaints, the 165,000 member community must now find a new home. After a controversial Twitter outburst, some believe that an ex-UFC fighter should shoulder some of the blame

==

anyone know where they went to? seems there is another site setup already

I was just coming here to post this. So not only does he not provide anything of substance, he actively takes it away. Fuck you, Schaub, you worthless sack of shit

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
MMAstreamz was taken out-- that was what we were using.

A ban of the original community means all new communities will be aggressively banned now.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I don't remember which UFC I legit tried to order, was 2-3 months ago, but I ended up getting pretty pissed when I found that I needed to hit like 3 different packages to get all the fights because they were all split up.

Fuck. That.

Maybe there was an all-in-one package that I missed, but I went to a number of pages and was actively looking before I just said fuck it and bailed. I could have sworn that the main card was ESPN, but undercard and prelims were through someone else?

Schaub is an idiot, sure, but I feel like people are just going to focus on him instead of how inexcusably shitty the UFC distribution has been. Billion dollar company and they can't streamline for shit. When I get my CC out and am willing to pay, but it's infinitely easier to just find a stream somewhere...?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Schaub is right. I bet there isn't 1 person here who can explain how to get ESPN+ subscription on your TV without owning one of the brand new pre-approved TVs.

I doubt anyone here has ESPN+ for TV. Maybe they have it on their browser or plug their laptop into their TV, but they do not have ESPN+ on the TV itself.

Someone asked me the other day what happened to UFC events. I just laughed in his face.

Yeah, great "investment" in the future.

***MIC DROP***

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
HAHAHAHA, I didn't even know it was that bad. That sounds like it's actually WAY WORSE than I thought it was, oh God, LOL

giphy.gif

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I still just use mma-tv.net. Since I can watch all the fights, get Redzone during the NFL season, and watch all the Dodgers games I want. Works great for me

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I don't remember which UFC I legit tried to order, was 2-3 months ago, but I ended up getting pretty pissed when I found that I needed to hit like 3 different packages to get all the fights because they were all split up.

Fuck. That.

Maybe there was an all-in-one package that I missed, but I went to a number of pages and was actively looking before I just said fuck it and bailed. I could have sworn that the main card was ESPN, but undercard and prelims were through someone else?

Schaub is an idiot, sure, but I feel like people are just going to focus on him instead of how inexcusably shitty the UFC distribution has been. Billion dollar company and they can't streamline for shit. When I get my CC out and am willing to pay, but it's infinitely easier to just find a stream somewhere...?
sounds like UFC 236 style bend v kelvin, was when ESPN+ got it, i believe.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We know a large amount of MMA fans are internet kids. Still, taking the UFC PPV off of television just seemed like a bad idea.

As mentioned, without a pre-enabled TV you can't actually subscribe to ESPN+ or order ESPN+ offerings on your TV.

Even a smart TV isn't good enough. It has to be a specific TV with a specific software offering. I looked into it. Its very specific in terms of the software package required for Samsung TV's.

I have an Xfinity software Smart TV by Samsung and its simply not compatible enough to subscribe or access the product.

I'm not buying another TV for UFC lol. And neither is anyone else. Not me, not Schaub.

But its not a problem for the internet kids who just want to watch it on their laptops though. The point is, and probably Schaub's point, is that if you are already on your laptop-- You are already taking a step away from the traditional UFC viewing experience. The next step is piracy.

If you are on the computer, you are more likely to pirate the product. However, the "futuristic" deal says by 2023 it will all be resolved. I just don't see it.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No, that's just the "speculative" side of Disney/ESPN's deal they signed. In a statement they released upon signing, they stated their belief that one day, a majority of UFC customers, if not all, and the world itself will be caught up on streaming. "Streaming is the future" et al. They plan to bleed money until 2023 at which point streaming will be re-evaluated by Disney/ESPN.

At which point, presuming its a failure, we may get the traditional PPV model back. And people can watch PPVs in normal bars again, or sitting on their couches in their living rooms.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
We know a large amount of MMA fans are internet kids. Still, taking the UFC PPV off of television just seemed like a bad idea.

As mentioned, without a pre-enabled TV you can't actually subscribe to ESPN+ or order ESPN+ offerings on your TV.

Even a smart TV isn't good enough. It has to be a specific TV with a specific software offering. I looked into it. Its very specific in terms of the software package required for Samsung TV's.

I have an Xfinity software Smart TV by Samsung and its simply not compatible enough to subscribe or access the product.

I'm not buying another TV for UFC lol. And neither is anyone else. Not me, not Schaub.

But its not a problem for the internet kids who just want to watch it on their laptops though. The point is, and probably Schaub's point, is that if you are already on your laptop-- You are already taking a step away from the traditional UFC viewing experience. The next step is piracy.

If you are on the computer, you are more likely to pirate the product. However, the "futuristic" deal says by 2023 it will all be resolved. I just don't see it.
can't you just buy a $50 firestick?

Goatface

the amount of ads they lost going to espn has to be insane
xfinity seemed to run nonstop banner ads for the big one like 2 weeks out

it does run on XBone and PS4, think that would cover about 50% of the fan base

never go to bars, so don't know how they are handling it
local cinema stopped offering ppvs a long time ago. it went from like $9 to $20 and couldn't support it

does the espn+ app just require better hardware or something?
figured it and Hulu (and inthe future D+) would all run on the same things

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea I understand that just being able to access an ESPN+ app on your tv is the most optimal choice, but casting it from another device to your tv isnt THAT big of a dealbreaker IMO.

Accesibility is important, and this decision was misguided either way, but we use our other devices to access other content...I dont understand why that is such a big issue, unless your talking legacy people who wont touch a laptop or a traditionalist.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

so ufc cut a bunch of fighters in last week, including 8-2 HW Justin Willis, reportedly being to fat and not taking a fight
plus Elias Theodorou (8-3 in UFC), Wilson Reis, Marcelo Golm and Eric Shelton

and then today

Urijah Faber confirms he has accepted comeback UFC fight
The California Kid looks set to make his Octagon return at age 40.
who is 4-4 in last 8 fights from 2014-16

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yea I understand that just being able to access an ESPN+ app on your tv is the most optimal choice, but casting it from another device to your tv isnt THAT big of a dealbreaker IMO.

Accesibility is important, and this decision was misguided either way, but we use our other devices to access other content...I dont understand why that is such a big issue, unless your talking legacy people who wont touch a laptop or a traditionalist.

Got a receipt of your ESPN+ subscription or a screencap proving you are subscribed? Anything validating you as a currently paying customer will do.

I'm skeptical that a person who wrote this is a paying customer of UFC.

You too big guy
I doubt you're subscribed to anything either. No hard feelings, just some healthy skepticism.

Last edited: