MMA Thread

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It was better when PPV's were quarterly too. I used to buy them back then because they were so stacked.

H.A. Monkey

Golden Knight of the Realm
Of all the times a fighter has turned and hit a ref, I was fully expecting him to fuck that ref up. Hope Dana fires that ref. Not the first time he’s went full douche mode.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Benavidez should not have accepted a title fight against someone who missed weight, old man must be desperate.

H.A. Monkey

what the fuck

The UFC has no power over the refs or MacDonald would have already been fired for his previous terrible stops.

There have been quite a few refs who have been fired by the UFC. Can’t remember that one Asian ref who called a fight after a bunch of punches were blocked. But he was called out by Rogan and canned after that. Same shit gonna happen here.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There have been quite a few refs who have been fired by the UFC. Can’t remember that one Asian ref who called a fight after a bunch of punches were blocked. But he was called out by Rogan and canned after that. Same shit gonna happen here.

There have been zero refs fired by the UFC. The refs are appointed by athletic commissions and Zuffa has no ability to pressure those commissions, which is why hacks like Mazzagatti kept working for so long.

H.A. Monkey

Mario Yamasaki and Cody Pfannenstiel both fired by the UFC for their terribleness. Neither have ref’d a UFC right since Dana fired them. Yamasaki’s came after the post fight presser, Cody’s came mid card. He was intended to ref more matches but was pulled and fired. Gavintard this shit is becoming tiring. Google is your friend.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Mario Yamasaki and Cody Pfannenstiel both fired by the UFC for their terribleness. Neither have ref’d a UFC right since Dana fired them. Yamasaki’s came after the post fight presser, Cody’s came mid card. He was intended to ref more matches but was pulled and fired. Gavintard this shit is becoming tiring. Google is your friend.

You are fucking stupid. REFEREES ARE NOT UFC EMPLOYEES. The only reason Yamasaki stopped reffing UFC fights is because he stopped applying to ref them. If he started applying to referee again, the UFC couldn't do anything to stop him. The decision to pull Pfannenstiel mid-event after the Alcantara fight came from the Nebraska Athletic Commission, not anyone at the UFC. Pfannenstiel is still an active ref in boxing because REFEREES ARE NOT UFC EMPLOYEES.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The fact that he's still reffing other fights makes it sound like he was indeed fired by the ufc. Or are you arguing semantics? Like when I worked at a union shop, sure you didn't technically fire a union hand. You sent them back to the hall "not for rehire" and they wouldn't be allowed to come back to your jobsite. If that happened often enough to a hand he wouldn't be able to work anywhere, but I guess technically he was never fired, huh?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The fact that he's still reffing other fights makes it sound like he was indeed fired by the ufc. Or are you arguing semantics? Like when I worked at a union shop, sure you didn't technically fire a union hand. You sent them back to the hall "not for rehire" and they wouldn't be allowed to come back to your jobsite. If that happened often enough to a hand he wouldn't be able to work anywhere, but I guess technically he was never fired, huh?

If the UFC had the ability to influence the selection of refs and judges for their fights, it would be one of the most epic corruption scandals in the history of professional sports. Use your brain.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
That's idiotic. A business cannot prosper if they have no way to get rid of incompetence.

Use your brain.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's idiotic. A business cannot prosper if they have no way to get rid of incompetence.

Use your brain.

"If this doesn't get fixed, it just absolutely crushes the sport. It's so bad.

[Steve] Mazzagatti still [expletive] works. That guy still has a job. That's crazy. Herb Dean should ref every fight there is. The guy would get exhausted and couldn't do it, and they'd never let that happen. Mazzagatti still works, enough said. The fact that the commissioner would let this guy referee fights still is just beyond my comprehension."

There's part of a rant from Dana White himself lamenting the fact that he couldn't keep Mazzagatti out of the octagon. What the fuck is so hard to understand?

Zitar

Silver Knight of the Realm
You're both right. In places with commissions the governing body handles refs and judges, US States. However in places with no commission the UFC handles it. This is one of the reasons they hired NSAC honcho Marc Ratner years ago when they started to have shows in areas with no existing commission. It's less common now that MMA is mainstream and foreign countries have rolled MMA into existing governing bodies. It's why you see western refs on shows in new markets.