Monster Hunter: World

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think maybe this gets back to yours and others saying Defender gear ruins the game in that since I can just power through it there’s no thought in the what or why? I feel like I’m just skipping over a bunch of skills or game mechanics because it doesn’t matter. Maybe other weapons would be better but since I don’t fail then how would I know. I did feel pretty worthless fighting him as I felt I could never get close enough to keep the combos going.

Yeah. Unless you use some of the more advanced tactics on something super tall like Deviljho with Longsword or Hammer you're just chasing around the feet. I have no idea how strong Defender is relative to the High Rank/Pre-Iceborne stuff really. But if fights are taking like 14 minutes without really trying or even knowing what to build I think that it must quite strong.

You will eventually run into situations like say Kushala Daora. Where tempered version straight up one shots you with most of its abilities and its tornadoes make it such a pain in the ass to get close to it that just about everyone runs a ranged something or other just to deal with it.

Last edited:

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yeah. Unless you use some of the more advanced tactics on something super tall like Deviljho with Longsword or Hammer you're just chasing around the feet. I have no idea how strong Defender is relative to the High Rank/Pre-Iceborne stuff really. But if fights are taking like 14 minutes without really trying or even knowing what to build I think that it must quite strong.

You will eventually run into situations like say Kushala Daora. Where tempered version straight up one shots you with most of its abilities and its tornadoes make it such a pain in the ass to get close to it that just about everyone runs a ranged something or other just to deal with it. Nergigante

Speaking of the Daora, yeah I couldn't hit him just now with my Long Sword. You're a big proponent of the HBG? I made a lvl 6 Defender and Bone one, the bone seemed easier to use since I got spread and cluster ammo to go with it but it's so hard to move around. Might try the the LBG if I have the mats still.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Speaking of the Daora, yeah I couldn't hit him just now with my Long Sword. You're a big proponent of the HBG? I made a lvl 6 Defender and Bone one, the bone seemed easier to use since I got spread and cluster ammo to go with it but it's so hard to move around. Might try the the LBG if I have the mats still.
In case you didnt know, dragon pods or weapons with unlocked dragon element help keep elder dragons from building up their special stuff (wind around Kushala, spines on nerg, fart cloud on vaal, blast aura on Teostra/lunastra). Also flash flyers as its a guaranteed knock down if you flash a flying monster out of the air.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

HBG is absolutely badass if you have the right builds for it. I am really partial to the, "Glutton" build that requires a certain HBG. It allows you to have a magazine of 8 Spread Ammo and another skill that gives you a chance to not expend ammo. With some other skills it just WRECKS shit and is super easy to use because you can stack guard with it. So you block like a Lancer but do much more damage faster. I didn't really like bowguns until I got more stuff to make them more interesting. They have a bunch of niche builds like Sticky Ammo/Spread/Cluster Bombs that bows don't have.

However it is easier to build bow builds in the early game for sure.

Is your longsword at White Sharpness?

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
trying to make an aqua shot for safi farming. Anyone done so? Trying to figure out how to awaken it.

edit: so far I’ve donE nargacuga essence, attack increase, slot upgrade, and reload assist. Is sticky capacity a thing on lbg?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
trying to make an aqua shot for safi farming. Anyone done so? Trying to figure out how to awaken it.

edit: so far I’ve donE nargacuga essence, attack increase, slot upgrade, and reload assist. Is sticky capacity a thing on lbg?

I kind of followed this build. Narca essence is the only real MUST have.

Decos may vary.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
The more i play MHW on PS4 the more I realize how fucking awful the menu's are to use. Can't wait till the 9th.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Thanks broski I'm an absolute unit healthwise and doing well but working q4 retail just sucks your time and my kids aren't titans just yet.

My last run was:

The new safi weapons when outfitted with the augments from Guiding Lands are insane. Dual blades and Sword and Shield are now Godtier.

HBG still #1 with bow right behind it.

I'm hoping they add another loot table like in KT or give us the ability to add a second set bonus augment on the Safi weapons. That would open up 920e626282027 builds for casual and speedrunner alike.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Thanks broski I'm an absolute unit healthwise and doing well but working q4 retail just sucks your time and my kids aren't titans just yet.

My last run was:

The new safi weapons when outfitted with the augments from Guiding Lands are insane. Dual blades and Sword and Shield are now Godtier.

HBG still #1 with bow right behind it.

I'm hoping they add another loot table like in KT or give us the ability to add a second set bonus augment on the Safi weapons. That would open up 920e626282027 builds for casual and speedrunner alike.

For real. Narca essence on the Burstcannon is badass. I have teostra technique and purple sharpness on a lance build that can essentially never lose sharpness.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
FML Rajang is testing me. I WILL GET YOU MONKEY. Damn roar/super monkey but flop ;(

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Sticky bomb build makes Rajang super easy. Even tempered Rajang.

I died a lot figuring him out on Longsword though.

Don't you love getting one shot by his jump blast tho!?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
FML Rajang is testing me. I WILL GET YOU MONKEY. Damn roar/super monkey but flop ;(
Only monster easier with a group. If you want some help hit me up, downed him three times out of 10 so far.

I think his base is Kirin so that really adds to his fuckery.

• 1Like

Jox

Molten Core Raider
How is IG in Iceborne? Really liked the feel of the weapon overall in base game except for always needing to keep buffs up and the aerial attacks being weak.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I really like the insect glaive. I don’t play many weapons, so can’t really compare it’s performance to others. I use IG almost exclusively, but play the horn some with my buddies. Dabbled here and there with some other weapons but haven’t hunted with them much.

Anyhow, they added Kinsect Charge which consumes slinger ammo. If you’ve picked up ammo from the environment, the buff will double your Kinsect’s stamina, and also refill it’s stamina completely. If you got slinger ammo from the monster it’ll buff the damage your kinsect does. I prefer the environment kinsect charge, you can keep the kinsect attacking non stop by recharging its stamina.

They also added a new airborne move. Pressing R2 in the air will will do a descending thrust. The spacing takes some getting used to, but once you’ve got the hang of it you can use it to both gap close and do considerable damage. After the descending thrust your toon will also do a full attack combo ending with a tornado slash and marking the monster for your kinsect with the last hit. Landing right on their head also seems to stagger them pretty frequently as well.

Additionally, you can use the clutch claw while you’re in the air by pressing L2. Convenient way to get on the monster easily.

I really enjoy the glaive and like what they’ve done with it in Iceborne. It’s a ton of fun. The biggest downside, I think, is that it takes two Clutches to get a spot on the monster weakened. So there’s a lot of ramp up time before you really start laying down the damage. You’ve got to gather your three kinsect extracts, then get the part you want to focus weakened, THEN you start really laying into them. That said, playing with another player who does the weakening makes this much better. My brother plays the swag axe and he keeps shit weakened all the time, so I don’t have to worry about it nearly as much.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
You guys are sick of JF I can tell. Here are some Brahma wide screen goodness!

fgfgf.jpg
fgfgfg.jpg
fgfgsf.jpg
gdhdgdgdg.jpg

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Am I going to have to pick this up on PC to get get groups aren’t I? Playing on the daily and no groups!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Got caught up on pc tonight so good to go for ice borne next week. Stoked to experience it for first time, and happy to see dB and sas getting some love