Monster Hunter: World

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I bought the base game a while back but didn't play any more than like 5 or 10 minutes. Thinking of getting into it now, anything a noob should know besides just "play"? Any reason to buy the expansion or can I truck along for a good while in vanilla?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The expansion dramatically changes a bunch of game mechanics so I recommend picking it up. You're going to get some superior weapons and armor that will let you torque through the base game into Iceborne. Which opens up a ton more content and everything. However you will run into some major pain points in the learning curve regardless.

No real rules necessary for starting out. Just need to get your feet wet. Some major tips that are not immediately apparent are:
  • Eat at the Canteen before every hunt.
  • Sharpen your weapon when it loses too much sharpness. Basically whenever the monster runs away and you have to chase it down. Sharpen your shit first.
  • Have 10 health pots on you for each hunt at minimum.
  • Use flashpods.
  • Trap monsters when you get to that point if at all possible.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you edit in all the mats and decorations you want there is really no point in playing the game. It'd be like playing Path of Exile where you can get whatever item you want off of random merchants for nothing.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
WTF is this Witcher shit in my MHW game? Kind of funny actually. Fucking died as well, didn't realize it was a shield he had as I've never really played the Witcher.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Brando Brando you can get witcher armor and layered armor (fashion hunter cosmetic) from it. You can switch his SnS to whatever weapon you want if you're doing the quest. If you do the sidquests within it you'll also get an attack gem. Which are very rare and desirable.

Just talk to the first dude you come across in the quest.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Brando Brando you can get witcher armor and layered armor (fashion hunter cosmetic) from it. You can switch his SnS to whatever weapon you want if you're doing the quest. If you do the sidquests within it you'll also get an attack gem. Which are very rare and desirable.

Just talk to the first dude you come across in the quest.

Yeah, I figured it would give you some good stuff. Just kind of threw me off at first and found it quite funny.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Looks like PC release of this is having major issues. (Iceborne)

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Which LBG is that?
Hidden Bullet I/II from Nargacuga for general use. If something is really weak to Water/Ice, I use Beotodus gun, and for Fire I'll use the Lavafish gun. None of the Thunder guns are available atm are good, will wait for Rajang.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Barioth down on the second attempt, guess I had to just git gud.

He's annoying as fuck though

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Only issues I've heard of all deal with DX12, which they are aware of at least. With DX12 on, and while watching a stream on the second monitor, I'll get some hitch's every so often. No stream running, game is smooth. Some people are seeing their cpu max'd out, but this was an issue with the base game as well, at least for nVidia cards. Rollback to a certain driver and the cpu usage went back to normal, while the gpu went up.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The story the second time is the WORST, fuck these NPCs and their unskippable cut scenes.

Yeah, it's definitely quite a slog when you just want to get back to where you were on PS4 as quickly as possible. Trying to ignore everything that isn't main story progression or unlocking canteen ingredients, but it's still slow going.

Doesn't help that I've forgotten everything I knew about the combat, even the weapons I used all the time. Charge Blade definitely isn't like riding a bike.... I think I was three missions in before I even managed to land a 5-phial SAED. Anyone have thoughts on what the most braindead weapon is for plowing through the story? Other than charge blade the only other weapon I used all the time in PS4/vanilla was bow.

Looks like PC release of this is having major issues. (Iceborne)
Seems mostly people whose PCs were borderline. When the game first loaded up DX12 was disabled and I got the constant 1-5 second hitching mentioned in their 'known issues'. Soon as I turned it on and reloaded the game everything worked perfectly. People who can't use DX12 for any reason (low VRAM) are probably just fucked until that's fixed.

Oh, and it was completely unplayable until I updated to the latest Adrenalin 2020 driver with official MHW:I support in the release notes.

• 1Like

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, it's definitely quite a slog when you just want to get back to where you were on PS4 as quickly as possible. Trying to ignore everything that isn't main story progression or unlocking canteen ingredients, but it's still slow going.

Doesn't help that I've forgotten everything I knew about the combat, even the weapons I used all the time. Charge Blade definitely isn't like riding a bike.... I think I was three missions in before I even managed to land a 5-phial SAED. Anyone have thoughts on what the most braindead weapon is for plowing through the story? Other than charge blade the only other weapon I used all the time in PS4/vanilla was bow.

Seems mostly people whose PCs were borderline. When the game first loaded up DX12 was disabled and I got the constant 1-5 second hitching mentioned in their 'known issues'. Soon as I turned it on and reloaded the game everything worked perfectly. People who can't use DX12 for any reason (low VRAM) are probably just fucked until that's fixed.

Oh, and it was completely unplayable until I updated to the latest Adrenalin 2020 driver with official MHW:I support in the release notes.

Gotchya. That sucks because idiot steam users are review bombing it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Gotchya. That sucks because idiot steam users are review bombing it.
The original was review bombed too, then it went back to positive over time. I don't think Capcom cares that much that people who can't play are review bombing it's pretty common. It does seem to affect a bunch of people, and the other more nasty bug that deletes your saves when you first launch the game if they hadn't been converted to the new format before is a lot more of a problem especially if people don't have cloud saving or backups and shit.

Anyway still having fun, just farmed for a little while to make a switch back to Lance for a bit. Grabbed the Pukei pukei lance, really easy to craft(took 2 kills + 1 rathian kill for all the mats for a R10 weapon), has a massive 600+poison so even Rathian got poisonned and poison does a fair amount of damage in early master, had to rework my armor a little bit but gave me reasons to go do some optionals and the raw isn't even that bad(and also purple sharpness). It's not an endgame option but it's surprisingly strong at this stage of the game for how easy it is to get(you get Rathian pretty early and Pukei Pukei feels like a HR monster still).

The clutch claw is fucking terrible to use on lance though I have no idea what they were thinking, the default when you press the trigger is to do the clutch claw counter, which is absolutely fucking stupid(drains stamina before you counter like power guard, then you end up on generally the most dangerous part of the monster since they just striked you with it and so you have to move around and shit). To get the normal clutch claw you have to R3 first, which obviously fucking sucks when you're trying to get a quick grab on.

On the plus side, it seems it applies wounds on the first hit and doesn't drop slinger ammo? Pretty sure Lance was listed as a "light" weapon back when they announced the game but it seems to work fine now. It's real fucking easy to cut tails with this shit and the usual lance precision. Offensive Guard seems a bit shit though, the window to proc it is really short and it lasts also a really short time, so it feels kinda meh unless you're fighting a very active monster. Oh and Brachydios when you take forever to sheathe and take 6hops to remove slime fucking sucks, thank god for mantles.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
another thing, really enjoying long sword new moves
Yeah other than lance clunky ass shit, so far the new things have been great.

Hunting Horn is night and day tbh, I had started playing with it a bit before Iceborne after seeing it was getting buffed and while it had some fun aspects, it mostly boiled down to hitting one of 2 attacks on the head, and eventually doing a song when you had a knockdown/stun. But now you have the echo notes as a follow up to these 2 attacks that you can decide to use or not, which then build up a different more fun song. Meanwhile they made it so you have to rebuff less(2nd rank of Horn Maestro) so you get to play the game more, plus they sped up a bunch of the animations so it's not as sluggish. It's still not the greatest weapon, and you still have to do a bunch of songs at the start of a fight(either before if you're lazy and want to make sure you don't get interupted or during if you use rocksteady). Very cool weapon, does pretty good damage and I did a couple of SOS runs to farm materials and there's no denying how useful it is to give losers with shit gear Defense XL and Attack XL as well as whatever other goodies so they don't cart like a bunch of retards. And it doesn't really cost you anything, you basically do the songs every time the monster changes areas, Attack sometimes drop a bit before that but generally it's fine, so you can buffer that shit on the way.

Lance is pretty much just lance nothing has changed there other than having to do the fucking claw shit which is annoying to do when I just want to poke motherfuckers in their motherfucking eyes, not this aiming and flying shit.

I'm gonna make a Switch Axe next, but from what I've seen the weapon has been massively improved(besides the ZSD spam bullshit).

Cool thing about Narcaruga set is it kinda works with everything so don't really need to farm too much when switching. I got Uragaan boots for Lance and had to craft a different Narcaruga part to keep the bonus but that's about it and the set is fairly decent, just no crit boost cause that shit can't fit, but guard up, guard 3, offensive guard 2, Handicraft 3, crit eye and wex capped. Since it's not master's touch having 100% crit isn't entirely necessary, at least for now.