Monster Hunter: World

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ancient Forest for Yian Garuga leggings, then whatever.
Well yeah that's like lvl 3 though I meant for higher, but I've been looking at the list of gear and upgrade mats so I kinda know and you can have more than 1 region at 6+ so should be fine I'll go for brute tigrex "quickly" get the shit there then drop that and focus on keeping forest at 5 for zinogre and try to farm gold rathian a bunch for weapons then drop it for silver rathalos for other weapons. I guess technically you can just farm whatever and meld the materials into the ones you need but the rates are so bad it seems not really great. Lots of farming ahead anyway, right now I'm mostly clearing all the optionals with rewards(mantles and shit).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Can someone help on explaining melding and how you get jewels you actually want to use? This shit is confusing as fuck.

1. Meld Decorations to randomly turn into other decorations. You'll get tons of them as you play so eventually churning the shitty ones into potentially better ones is fine.
  2. Meld mats into creature Gems/Mantles. Like the harder to get ones like Teostra Gem or something like that. Tickets from limited bounties called like Golden Wyvern Print just turn directly into a mat of your choice.
  3. Guild Alchemy - This is the best one. When they let you get tickets from the Steam Engine in Seliana the Silver/Gold/Steel tickets meld into random decorations. If you farm or save coal you get from mining shit you can just dump a ton of it in there.
  4. Sealing/Awakening Alchemy. If you do safi Jiva you'll get tons of shti you dont want. Churn unwanted weapons into upgrade mats for the safi weapons you do want to use.
Getting Decos you actually want is a huge shitshow. However Tempered investigations are the best source of decorations short of events. When they have events again The Greatest Jagras and the Lavasioth Quest are designed just to shit out decorations during the quest. When the events come around in a week or two run those quests a few times. They don't take too long and you get a lot of stuff.

Just assume you'll always be short the decos you really want or the most optimal ones. Despite my playtime I am seriously lacking in the good +4 decorations that have SKILL I WANT/VITALITY or Expert or that shit which is how you get the most ideal setups.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
  1. Meld Decorations to randomly turn into other decorations. You'll get tons of them as you play so eventually churning the shitty ones into potentially better ones is fine.
  2. Meld mats into creature Gems/Mantles. Like the harder to get ones like Teostra Gem or something like that. Tickets from limited bounties called like Golden Wyvern Print just turn directly into a mat of your choice.
  3. Guild Alchemy - This is the best one. When they let you get tickets from the Steam Engine in Seliana the Silver/Gold/Steel tickets meld into random decorations. If you farm or save coal you get from mining shit you can just dump a ton of it in there.
  4. Sealing/Awakening Alchemy. If you do safi Jiva you'll get tons of shti you dont want. Churn unwanted weapons into upgrade mats for the safi weapons you do want to use.
Getting Decos you actually want is a huge shitshow. However Tempered investigations are the best source of decorations short of events. When they have events again The Greatest Jagras and the Lavasioth Quest are designed just to shit out decorations during the quest. When the events come around in a week or two run those quests a few times. They don't take too long and you get a lot of stuff.

Just assume you'll always be short the decos you really want or the most optimal ones. Despite my playtime I am seriously lacking in the good +4 decorations that have SKILL I WANT/VITALITY or Expert or that shit which is how you get the most ideal setups.

I’d say this is the worst explained thing in the game but good to know it’s just a grind/crap shoot and not a big deal.

The Reddit meta list got me to start on upgrading my Defenders gear. Would it be a record to craft 4 Drachen pieces without actually killing Behemoth? Lol. How fun is it to chase pieces to craft upgrades? I get you want new players to get through old content but really think Defender items was a bad thing to add.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I’d say this is the worst explained thing in the game but good to know it’s just a grind/crap shoot and not a big deal.

The Reddit meta list got me to start on upgrading my Defenders gear. Would it be a record to craft 4 Drachen pieces without actually killing Behemoth? Lol. How fun is it to chase pieces to craft upgrades? I get you want new players to get through old content but really think Defender items was a bad thing to add.

I don't think you can get the Drachen mats without actually killing behemoth? The melding components are limited so that you have to actually kill the monster and she only offers the rarest mats from a monster. Not the more normal ones.

I am of mixed feelings on defender gear. Getting through the base game is important because the power level of the newer stuff is just that much better and the Master rank armor sets are cooler looking sets from the same/new monsters. It does cheapen the experience a bit I guess though.

I think the Safi Jiva weapons are worse. They blow everything out of the water by an order of magnitude. They are hard to get what you want out of them but when you do. Ho Lee Shit. They are also hideous.

If you're going to chase meta builds I'd recommend chasing comfort builds. These are designed to give you decent DPS but be most forgiving in terms of mistakes and offer a lot of survivability baked into them. Which is ideal as you learn monsters and know how to not get one shot. Let me tell you right now that Master Rank can one shot you even with massive upgrades to your gear. They also have way more life. Once you improve you can move to more DPS oriented builds.

I still get so pissed at this game when I get wombo comboed from full health. Or kill myself because I accidently did the wrong move and then get killed because of it. But getting chunked from something into defense down into death is just soooo aggravating.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well yeah that's like lvl 3 though I meant for higher, but I've been looking at the list of gear and upgrade mats so I kinda know and you can have more than 1 region at 6+ so should be fine I'll go for brute tigrex "quickly" get the shit there then drop that and focus on keeping forest at 5 for zinogre and try to farm gold rathian a bunch for weapons then drop it for silver rathalos for other weapons. I guess technically you can just farm whatever and meld the materials into the ones you need but the rates are so bad it seems not really great. Lots of farming ahead anyway, right now I'm mostly clearing all the optionals with rewards(mantles and shit).
Yian Garuga should be lvl6, unless the lvl6 is for the subspecies version. Not sure if PC release has the QoL upgrades to Guiding Lands or not, where you can lock / downgrade at will.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Yian Garuga should be lvl6, unless the lvl6 is for the subspecies version. Not sure if PC release has the QoL upgrades to Guiding Lands or not, where you can lock / downgrade at will.
Believe it is. THink i remember seeing those options when doing grinding lands stuff. Layered stuff doesnt look like its in and released with the Rajang update (use all sets as layered) =(.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yian Garuga is 3, the Scarred version is 6 but the only notable thing it drops over normal version that I can tell is the one special mat you need for some augmenting.

You can absolutely farm Drachen full set without killing Behemoth unlike mentionned previously, there's a guide in the reddit thread, it mostly involves running Partbreaker and LBG, with a bunch of bombs. The setup is fairly easy to get but it can take a while(an hour or so?). I guess you might cut the times a bit if you build around the least annoying parts to get, the claws iirc are the most annoying ones since they have a shit ton of hp so it takes forever to break them(and the bombing hitzone is finnicky).
has a section on solo farming behemoth with all the sets and pictures of what to do, it's not that complicated.

However, I would also say it's a fair amount of time you're gonna invest to replace the whole thing a few hours in. It'll last you until Narcaruga basically but at that point it's just better to switch, and Narcaruga isn't like very very far into the game, there's only a handful of monsters before. Meanwhile you could just make a bone/metal armor basic shit gathering mats in Hoarfrost in the first Iceborne mission and get solid defenses to replace Defender or if you're feeling like you want to optimize a bit you can hunt some of the early T1 MR monsters that unlock instantly once you see the first monsters in Iceborne(don't even have to kill it), shit like Jagras and what not. So I'd say farming Drachen is questionable at this point. Without proper decorations Drachen isn't even going to be that good either.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yian Garuga is 3, the Scarred version is 6 but the only notable thing it drops over normal version that I can tell is the one special mat you need for some augmenting.

You can absolutely farm Drachen full set without killing Behemoth unlike mentionned previously, there's a guide in the reddit thread, it mostly involves running Partbreaker and LBG, with a bunch of bombs. The setup is fairly easy to get but it can take a while(an hour or so?). I guess you might cut the times a bit if you build around the least annoying parts to get, the claws iirc are the most annoying ones since they have a shit ton of hp so it takes forever to break them(and the bombing hitzone is finnicky).
has a section on solo farming behemoth with all the sets and pictures of what to do, it's not that complicated.

However, I would also say it's a fair amount of time you're gonna invest to replace the whole thing a few hours in. It'll last you until Narcaruga basically but at that point it's just better to switch, and Narcaruga isn't like very very far into the game, there's only a handful of monsters before. Meanwhile you could just make a bone/metal armor basic shit gathering mats in Hoarfrost in the first Iceborne mission and get solid defenses to replace Defender or if you're feeling like you want to optimize a bit you can hunt some of the early T1 MR monsters that unlock instantly once you see the first monsters in Iceborne(don't even have to kill it), shit like Jagras and what not. So I'd say farming Drachen is questionable at this point. Without proper decorations Drachen isn't even going to be that good either.

I’m one piece away from 4pc drachen. I haven’t tried doing Behemoth solo. One way or another in like 10 attempts there is always a 3rd faint.

Wasn’t aware the Narcaruga stuff was so close. Oh well, while annoying it was fun feeling like the character was progressing.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you're concerned about the game pegging your CPU usage at 100% while playing, there is a little program that bypasses the anti-cheat function that is built in, and that is all it does (doesn't offer cheats). Used it for a bit today, and MHW was using at most 85% CPU instead of 95%+. Still, use at you're own risk.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
This game is fucking overwhelming to get into if you haven't play Monster Hunter before. I have quit like 2-3 times, barely leaving the beginning area because there is just so much thrown at you at once muddled together.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game is fucking overwhelming to get into if you haven't play Monster Hunter before. I have quit like 2-3 times, barely leaving the beginning area because there is just so much thrown at you at once muddled together.
The pay off for sticking with it is so so good. If you can, watch some streams of MHW, but not of the big streamers since they only play for a week or two then bail. You can learn alot from hearing their answers to Chat (I'd recommend SDShepard).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

I was there a week ago. Most important thing is to mess with the weapons enough to find one you're comfortable with (not master, just comfortable). Over time the game will start to get smaller, but there's still so much I don't understand or know and I'm 22 hours in and still in pre-Iceborne content.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mean there's a shitton of side stuff that's really not important to do until endgame/until you want achievements. You can kinda truck along doing the main quest and maybe looking into sidequests that have interesting rewards(mantles and palico tools mostly since they make things easier). Every play session maybe you look into one new thing see how useful it is. A lot of shit is just clicking on one thing every few quests to passively generate items which is nice(especially getting honey via the cultivation stuff since honey suck dicks to farm otherwise and you need a bunch to get started early on). A lot of stuff is basically just achievement padding(crowns, piscine/wildlife research, every optional quest with no special reward, arena quests and so on).

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
I think a huge mistake I made was watching YouTube videos about playing and after they go into weapons they went into sleeping tactics against enemies, eating properly, trapping monsters, collecting shit, and all sorts of other stuff that made it seem like a requirement to not be a totally loser at the game. I was told I'd like it because the combat was basically Dark Souls boss battles nonstop but combat seems way more in-depth than "Hit the guy's asshole until he stops moving."

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think a huge mistake I made was watching YouTube videos about playing and after they go into weapons they went into sleeping tactics against enemies, eating properly, trapping monsters, collecting shit, and all sorts of other stuff that made it seem like a requirement to not be a totally loser at the game. I was told I'd like it because the combat was basically Dark Souls boss battles nonstop but combat seems way more in-depth than "Hit the guy's asshole until he stops moving."
Eh not really, hitting the monster's ass until it stops moving will get the job done.

You can however capture them at low hp, which saves you like 20% of the boss fight but doesn't work on everything(elder dragons can't be captured although that only starts late into the story). Sleeping happens when a monster is low hp and retreats to just literally sleep it off. The only thing noteworthy is that the first hit on a sleeping monster does double dmg, so when playing in a group, the guy with the weapon that does the biggest hit(generally the greatsword if there's one) will wake up the monster, you just wait around until then. Solo well you're the one with the biggest weapon. You can also drop bomb barrels on the monster since it's sleeping so it's free damage. But most of that shit is fairly pointless until lategame, especially since it costs a ton of different things to get them crafted. The capture stuff is nice to speed up the fights though, you can buy some of the stuff directly at the vendor iirc or just craft it it's not too bad.

Eating is mostly just eat for meat meal every time until elder dragons where you sometimes eat for resists(Kirin and his cunty lightning bullshit for example). The meat meal gives attack, and attack is what you want. Customizing meals is shit I don't even bother doing with 350+ hours and realistically it's only useful for fishing for special palico buffs with a ticket, which is shit that really only matters if you're like speedrunning or something, or you're struggling bad and want an additional death per mission.

Do grab all the shit on the way when hunting, it's free until you're full, but past that you don't have much to collect.

If you mean collecting tracks from monsters, it increases their progress bar shit which lets you see stuff like what they're weak against and what they drop, but you can see that on a wiki anyway. You do want to pick up tracks early to find out where the monster is on the map but besides that it's not too important. They do give investigations too, which are like limited(3 5 or 8) quests to hunt a monster with additional rewards, good for farming materials but you probably won't be doing any investigation until Iceborne. Hell I didn't do any during Iceborne either until I finished the story for that. They're like endgame quests since the additional rewards make it easier to get the annoying materials but they're not as available as optional quests.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

Most of that doesn't matter until you know the game a little more. Combat is certainly more involved, but that's why I said find a weapon you enjoy and build on that. Then as the game introduces you to the bounty people or whatever they're called you'll realize 'oh, i get a bonus for collecting a bug, I collected 3 of those when it dumped me into the world and had me wander around earlier' and you'll start to piece things together. I didn't eat anything the first 4-5 hours I played, lol.

Pyros typed a much more complete response while I was typing this. Start with a weapon you enjoy fighting with, and build from there.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Is there some trick to making sure you're actually attacking in the direction of an enemy? I find I'm stuck in attack animations not even facing the enemy half the time.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Not hammering the buttons so fast will help with that. Easier said than done, i know. Deliberate button pushes will make a difference though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Not hammering the buttons so fast will help with that. Easier said than done, i know. Deliberate button pushes will make a difference though.

Is there a better way to see when an attack's animation is over so you can reorient yourself before attacking again, other than trying to stare at your character in a chaotic fight?

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
To my knowledge, no. The longer you play, the more you’ll get used to the timing on the attacks. Might be worth just going to the training area and trying to get a feel for the timing on weapon swings. I’m no expert on this game, but I do have 600+ hours into it. I still find myself swinging at the air some, and that’s with a fast animation weapon (Insect Glaive).

edit: when I play the hunting horn I don’t have this problem at all. It swings so much slower than IG that i feel like i am constantly waiting for animations to finish so I can do the next input. What weapon are you using?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users