Monster Hunter: World

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeah other than lance clunky ass shit, so far the new things have been great.

Hunting Horn is night and day tbh, I had started playing with it a bit before Iceborne after seeing it was getting buffed and while it had some fun aspects, it mostly boiled down to hitting one of 2 attacks on the head, and eventually doing a song when you had a knockdown/stun. But now you have the echo notes as a follow up to these 2 attacks that you can decide to use or not, which then build up a different more fun song. Meanwhile they made it so you have to rebuff less(2nd rank of Horn Maestro) so you get to play the game more, plus they sped up a bunch of the animations so it's not as sluggish. It's still not the greatest weapon, and you still have to do a bunch of songs at the start of a fight(either before if you're lazy and want to make sure you don't get interupted or during if you use rocksteady). Very cool weapon, does pretty good damage and I did a couple of SOS runs to farm materials and there's no denying how useful it is to give losers with shit gear Defense XL and Attack XL as well as whatever other goodies so they don't cart like a bunch of retards. And it doesn't really cost you anything, you basically do the songs every time the monster changes areas, Attack sometimes drop a bit before that but generally it's fine, so you can buffer that shit on the way.

Lance is pretty much just lance nothing has changed there other than having to do the fucking claw shit which is annoying to do when I just want to poke motherfuckers in their motherfucking eyes, not this aiming and flying shit.

I'm gonna make a Switch Axe next, but from what I've seen the weapon has been massively improved(besides the ZSD spam bullshit).

Cool thing about Narcaruga set is it kinda works with everything so don't really need to farm too much when switching. I got Uragaan boots for Lance and had to craft a different Narcaruga part to keep the bonus but that's about it and the set is fairly decent, just no crit boost cause that shit can't fit, but guard up, guard 3, offensive guard 2, Handicraft 3, crit eye and wex capped. Since it's not master's touch having 100% crit isn't entirely necessary, at least for now.

My original main weapon on my ps4 MHW save was switch axe and I loved the idea but axe mode was terrible. It sounds like they've buffed that quite a bit and now Swax is a top tier weapon. Once I get the GRathian LS done and a few DB's I'm going to focus on Swax as well. I guess Narca is the best "leveling" set? I can make 3 piece now but not sure if there is anything else of note until rank 11/12

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
My original main weapon on my ps4 MHW save was switch axe and I loved the idea but axe mode was terrible. It sounds like they've buffed that quite a bit and now Swax is a top tier weapon. Once I get the GRathian LS done and a few DB's I'm going to focus on Swax as well. I guess Narca is the best "leveling" set? I can make 3 piece now but not sure if there is anything else of note until rank 11/12
Well it's just great quality of life since you don't need to sharpen constantly/mid fight. You can kinda get by with just the razorsharp charm(you get it for the 2nd purrfect sidequest for house decorations on acid glav) and then anything, but that's not that much better and using narca you can use handicraft charm or whatever else you need. The set bonus is an even better version too, I often fight a full phase then the boss runs away and my durability barely moved because of the right procs. The stats on it are mostly shit, but evade window is something at least. I crafted 4 parts total, everything but the belt, the belt requires a gem(mantle now) and the odogaron belt is just much better overall with either 3crit eye+fast sharpen or 2crit eye with better sockets depending on your luck with lvl 4 sockets.

The last slot is the flex slot depending on what you want, on Lance I'm using uragaan boots for 2guard and 1offensive guard but on HH I was using night paolumu helm for 1wex + sockets(fulgur anja is strictly better but comes kinda later and is more annoying to farm).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

This is pretty funny. Basically the PC Gamer review complains about Monster Hunter because you kill monsters by invading their habitats and kill them.

This is the review.

Iceborne does dabble in some alternatives with a new sidequest asking you to go out and document the tribes of cats in the world with a camera. For an hour or two I got to see what Monster Hunter might be like if it were more Pokémon Snap, and the result was surprising. Details I'd never seen before kept revealing themselves now I was taking my time to observe. It's a small thing but a glimpse of what a kinder game could be like, making it all the more apparent what a cruel game Monster Hunter is.

lulz

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Writer is obviously a PETA member.

Does anyone happen to remember doing the final Gajalaka quest in Elders Recess where you have to sneak into their clubhouse? I've attempted to do this twice now, at night and while using the Gillie Mantle, but each time I get to the door, but I don't have the option to enter and the Gajalaka's outside run away. Do I need to leave my Palico behind?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

The writer

• 1Tiresome
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Fun fact, you don't have to kill anything until Elder Dragons. Also they harp about "balance" and "ecology" a lot in the game, you're not mindlessly murdering everything in your way, you're there to fix shit due to some really bad monsters doing bad shit.

Article got people riled up and is being talked of though so she probably did her job well.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fun fact, you don't have to kill anything until Elder Dragons. Also they harp about "balance" and "ecology" a lot in the game, you're not mindlessly murdering everything in your way, you're there to fix shit due to some really bad monsters doing bad shit.

Article got people riled up and is being talked of though so she probably did her job well.
I think that qualifies as an "it".

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Man the "last" boss was a super cunt as Lance but wasn't much better when I tried with Switch axe. Fucking 10hits attacks with high damage, literally better to take it to the face than press block cause if you block it'll kill you from full(if you have full stamina). And he has a couple of these, plus the usual bullshit. And the fight takes fucking forever, wiped once had to redo the whole thing ugh. Looks cool as fuck though. Probably would have been easier if I had more defensive gear(Guard 5 especially) but eh. Now the farming can begin.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I hate that fight. I can get it done in 13 minutes now though. But I do it by running the Nargacuga HBG in a Pierce Ammo build. Which does massive shell damage and move it into the wall area where you can flinch shot it. Which is like 20k damage and gets the shell off.

Farcaster back to the tent and switch to something else for the rest of it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I hate that fight. I can get it done in 13 minutes now though. But I do it by running the Nargacuga HBG in a Pierce Ammo build. Which does massive shell damage and move it into the wall area where you can flinch shot it. Which is like 20k damage and gets the shell off.

Farcaster back to the tent and switch to something else for the rest of it.
Yeah it was the same with Xeno, although Xeno was overall a lot easier. I wasn't gonna spend time farming shit just to kill one boss though and it wasn't THAT bad overall since it only took one wipe, just long and the first phase feels like there's 0 risk of dying(at least with Lance I barely took any damage even as first time, Switch axe I got hit a bit more but still easy) while the 2nd has a lot of shit that can kill you pretty quick especially if it combos. I'm sure it'll go a lot faster once I get back to killing him with proper gear(hell with guard 5 and higher defense I'm pretty sure I can just ignore his shitty attacks with Lance and with an health augment I won't need to actually sheathe and run around like a retard).

Only 3 mobs wiped me so far, Tigrex wiped me twice(or 3 times I forgot) was the first big hurdle and what prompted switching gear, one on the Brachy/Uragaan quest because I played like a retard even though it wasn't hard and one time on the last boss, so overall still pretty easy. Only a couple of the story fights done with Lance which feels pretty "cheaty" but most done with HH and a few with Switch Axe.

Guess some Teostra is on the menu next, get me that Master's Touch shit.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Welp, Toestra the first monster to cause me to fail a mission. On my first of the final 3 elder dragons. Only a couple faints before him in my 20 hours w/ the core game.

Done for the night probably, or I'd ping Hatorade Hatorade or fire my SOS earlier for halp.

Trying to hold off on upgrades other than to my weapon, seems like they shouldn't be necessary until I'm onto expansion content.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Holy shit I had no idea randoms were so terrible, just need a few Blackveil Vaal pieces and 4 SoS later I still do... Even running a support build and chain healing them we lose.

• 1Like

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
Played this a bit when it first launched for PC... Got to the elders but life got in the way and just never came back... Bought iceborne and am on the expansion content. Man I'm in love with this game right now. So much content lol.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Can someone help on explaining melding and how you get jewels you actually want to use? This shit is confusing as fuck.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Spent all day farming tigrex for the full set.... because I like how it looks. Just past the annoying as fuck legiana and LOVE this expansion. So good

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Can someone help on explaining melding and how you get jewels you actually want to use? This shit is confusing as fuck.
Melding is more random shit, you just need to get lucky. Which really means you need to play a lot, you won't get decorations otherwise, so you can't really follow meta guides early on and you'll want to use some armor/charm that give you the necessary skills versus shit with 3 sockets where you put all your decorations.

As for how melding works, you just throw shit in it until it reaches the number it asks for, say you need 32 to meld a fey gem, and you have 3 fire resist worth 4, 1 water resist also 4 and a critcal draw worth 16(random expample I don't remember the actual values), you put all that into it and you get one roll at a gem, same roll as when you kill monsters, the more expensive gems have better chances at higher ranks of gem(rarity thing, not necessarily good gem, like mushroomancer is rare for example). It basically lets you clear excess copies of shit you don't need for another chance at decent shit, but 99% of the time you still get shit. At least the new lvl 4 decos offer 2 chances to roll the good stuff, so it's probably easier to get decorations done unless you want perfect expert+whatever setups.

Holy shit I had no idea randoms were so terrible, just need a few Blackveil Vaal pieces and 4 SoS later I still do... Even running a support build and chain healing them we lose.
AT vaal was a huge noob trap too. The only way you can keep people up I think is running HH so they don't get the effluvia shit, because apparently no one thinks not having your bar cut in half is a good idea. Bonus point if they also don't eat/max pot and don't have health booster, so they literally die to random light hits.

Btw anyone has thoughts on the order I should level Guiding Lands first? Granted I need to get my MR higher to uncap that stuff but once it is uncapped, I'm thinking Rotten Vale first for Brute Tigrex gear specifically the chest, then maybe Wildspire for Golden Rathalos since he has the best Switch Axe until Safi, and then whatever? Oh and Zinogre first actually but that's "earlier", to unlock health augment lvl 1. Not 100% sure how these work though.

Last edited:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Melding is more random shit, you just need to get lucky. Which really means you need to play a lot, you won't get decorations otherwise, so you can't really follow meta guides early on and you'll want to use some armor/charm that give you the necessary skills versus shit with 3 sockets where you put all your decorations.

As for how melding works, you just throw shit in it until it reaches the number it asks for, say you need 32 to meld a fey gem, and you have 3 fire resist worth 4, 1 water resist also 4 and a critcal draw worth 16(random expample I don't remember the actual values), you put all that into it and you get one roll at a gem, same roll as when you kill monsters, the more expensive gems have better chances at higher ranks of gem(rarity thing, not necessarily good gem, like mushroomancer is rare for example). It basically lets you clear excess copies of shit you don't need for another chance at decent shit, but 99% of the time you still get shit. At least the new lvl 4 decos offer 2 chances to roll the good stuff, so it's probably easier to get decorations done unless you want perfect expert+whatever setups.

AT vaal was a huge noob trap too. The only way you can keep people up I think is running HH so they don't get the effluvia shit, because apparently no one thinks not having your bar cut in half is a good idea. Bonus point if they also don't eat/max pot and don't have health booster, so they literally die to random light hits.

Btw anyone has thoughts on the order I should level Guiding Lands first? Granted I need to get my MR higher to uncap that stuff but once it is uncapped, I'm thinking Rotten Vale first for Brute Tigrex gear specifically the chest, then maybe Wildspire for Golden Rathalos since he has the best Switch Axe until Safi, and then whatever? Oh and Zinogre first actually but that's "earlier", to unlock health augment lvl 1. Not 100% sure how these work though.
Ancient Forest for Yian Garuga leggings, then whatever.