Monster Hunter: World

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
That PC 4k does look hawt man.

Hatorade Hatorade what is this lance mechanic exactly?
With slinger ammo you stab them and the end doesn’t explode just sticks in them for like 10 minutes, then every future shot you take does an extra explosion. They all stack so four people four stabs four bursts...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So at what point do I need to start switching off of defender gear and actually farming shit? 50 armor that can't be upgraded is junk compared to the gear I had on my PS4 character iirc... is there another tier of that armor, or is that it?

The weapon upgrades come along steadily, but since the only weapon I can still use effectively is bow, I'm somewhat concerned that I will need to farm elemental shit to carry me into Iceborne, and if that's the case I think I'd be better off forcing myself to [re]learn another weapon (or downloading a maxed out savegame). I'm sort of regretting not just doing that from the get-go, seeing as I'm only just back to Nergigante after being busy a lot this week.

italica

Trakanon Raider
So at what point do I need to start switching off of defender gear and actually farming shit? 50 armor that can't be upgraded is junk compared to the gear I had on my PS4 character iirc... is there another tier of that armor, or is that it?

The weapon upgrades come along steadily, but since the only weapon I can still use effectively is bow, I'm somewhat concerned that I will need to farm elemental shit to carry me into Iceborne, and if that's the case I think I'd be better off forcing myself to [re]learn another weapon (or downloading a maxed out savegame). I'm sort of regretting not just doing that from the get-go, seeing as I'm only just back to Nergigante after being busy a lot this week.

Not a bow user myself, but almost everything I've read said bow is in a tough place in iceborne at first, because you really have to build out all the different elements for it to compete with the other weapons. You can certainly build a usable bow set without doing "meta" builds, but fights will take a lot longer than the other weapons with an equivalent initial time investment.

Edit: That being said, HBG is apparently in a really good place if you're a fan of ranged weaponry.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I am going to try hbg again but my understanding was that it doesn't work great either until post game when you can get Zinogre and a gimpy version of the armor build. Hated hbg in vanilla but the shotgun build sounds nothing like the old builds, aside from the need to craft ammo mid fight which was one of the things I disliked the most.

• 1Like

Awanka

Molten Core Raider

You can and should upgrade defender armor with orbs. It probably has HR-locked caps. I have all mine upgraded to 70 and it feels fair on 4 star Iceborne quests. Defender armor isn't bad at all for staying alive, and I'm too lazy to start farming until I get to endgame.

Defender weapons are also pretty OP if you keep them upgraded. I honestly wouldn't spend time farming another weapon until you get to Iceborne. I was working on building up a Tobi HBG and then found out I could build a weapon that blows it away just using bones and rocks from the first Iceborne map.

tl;dr just rush through and get to Iceborne. It's pretty faceroll with defender gear.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am going to try hbg again but my understanding was that it doesn't work great either until post game when you can get Zinogre and a gimpy version of the armor build. Hated hbg in vanilla but the shotgun build sounds nothing like the old builds, aside from the need to craft ammo mid fight which was one of the things I disliked the most.

Shotgun build will indeed be gimped unless you have either the Safi Jiva Burstcannon (needs upgrade with Nargacuga essence for best result), Razer Sharp Charm or the Zinogre HBG. I personally prefer the ZInogre one as it looks god damn badass.

You can get away with the sticky bomb builds if you run the Rajang Destroyer. Pierce Ammo is Nargacuga HBG and so on. I guess they're all viable but the playstyles are all wildly different. You can also run a LBG Sticky Bomb build with the Deviljho LBG pretty easily too.

Shotgun HBG is a blast because you can run Guard/Guard Up along with Spread3/Weakness Exploit/Critical Boost/Critical Eye 7 and straight face tank shit will doing 400 dmg a shot. It's tons of fun.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With slinger ammo you stab them and the end doesn’t explode just sticks in them for like 10 minutes, then every future shot you take does an extra explosion. They all stack so four people four stabs four bursts...
I watched MaximilianDood run 4 Gun Lance hunts doing that, it was pretty glorious seeing all those explosions happen, lol.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

For armor? Immediately upgrade to something in MR, whether its Bone or Beotodus or a combination of what is available. For the bow? If you're already good at it, as in you know how to Dash-n-Shoot, then just keep doing that. Yes, you'll need to farm up Elemental bows to use vs. Weak mobs, but even with the nerfs that Bow got, it is still very very strong, and once you get True Elemental Crit, it is pretty insane.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Shotgun build will indeed be gimped unless you have either the Safi Jiva Burstcannon (needs upgrade with Nargacuga essence for best result), Razer Sharp Charm or the Zinogre HBG. I personally prefer the ZInogre one as it looks god damn badass.

You can get away with the sticky bomb builds if you run the Rajang Destroyer. Pierce Ammo is Nargacuga HBG and so on. I guess they're all viable but the playstyles are all wildly different. You can also run a LBG Sticky Bomb build with the Deviljho LBG pretty easily too.

Shotgun HBG is a blast because you can run Guard/Guard Up along with Spread3/Weakness Exploit/Critical Boost/Critical Eye 7 and straight face tank shit will doing 400 dmg a shot. It's tons of fun.
He meant for leveling though I think, endgame there's a bunch of options but leveling it's a bit so so. You can get a good pierce HBG with tobi > viper tobi(actually better than Nargacuga with custom upgrades too although for lvling narga might be better but comes later). For sticky I think you can look into dodogama and upgrade to glavenius once you have that. Velkhana also looks decent once you can get it, has spread and sticky for mixed distance and also has sleep, poison and paralysis so you can get a bunch of status shit going on to setup big hits.

For LBG I'm reading Beotodus is good for lvling, but no idea.

Bow isn't bad if you have Kjarr bows though, you can make a bunch of bows as you go to replace them but they can last you a while as long as you play the 3 star element ones. If you don't I'd assume just keeping Defender is good to do the first few monsters, it has similar raw to entry MR bows but also has blast making it better than most options, you should just beeline to farm basic elemental bows with early monsters even if they're not optimal, tobi kadachi for lightning, anjanath for fire, jyuratodus for water and there's no good early ice bow until Barrioth which takes a little while, although a bunch of the early monsters are also resistant to ice so might not be too much of a problem.

Last edited:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just noticed a rather cancerous Event quest: We Three Kings - Kirin, Kushala, and Teostra. In the Arena. Kirin and Teo in the arena are ok, but Kushala must suck.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Just noticed a rather cancerous Event quest: We Three Kings - Kirin, Kushala, and Teostra. In the Arena. Kirin and Teo in the arena are ok, but Kushala must suck.
These events tend to be easier than they look because monsters have lower health when you do a quest with multiple, which leads to lower tresholds to knockdown/stun/flinch so if you're aggressive you can basically get them into CC loops where they don't get to do anything(especially with flinch shots now). Also they come one after the other usually, so as long as you're not lagging behind it's 1vs1 but with a much weaker version.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
These events tend to be easier than they look because monsters have lower health when you do a quest with multiple, which leads to lower tresholds to knockdown/stun/flinch so if you're aggressive you can basically get them into CC loops where they don't get to do anything(especially with flinch shots now). Also they come one after the other usually, so as long as you're not lagging behind it's 1vs1 but with a much weaker version.
Man I dunno. Kirin kicked mine Brahma Brahma and Hatorade Hatorade ass the other night when trying to do it. They are master ranked so get ready to pucker up buttercup.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Lance is a ton of work for endgame. I need to farm one for each element because raw just isn't that good anymore outside of nergy+ and that's locked behind MR99.

HBG has been a blast with the Mightning+ though.

Hammer is fun with the Acidic Glavenus one, it has huge raw and staggers for days.

The Bazel hunting horn is broken, I love that weapon.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Lance is a ton of work for endgame. I need to farm one for each element because raw just isn't that good anymore outside of nergy+ and that's locked behind MR99.

HBG has been a blast with the Mightning+ though.

Hammer is fun with the Acidic Glavenus one, it has huge raw and staggers for days.

The Bazel hunting horn is broken, I love that weapon.
I'm almost at 99 for Nergi and while I did craft ele lances I haven't been using them. Instead I'm still using my shitty pukei pukei lance all the way. The big advantrage it has over other shit is it's rank 10, so I got the healing augment on it pretty early since it's a shit ton easier to get, and that's a huge gamechanger for lance gameplay since you can heal the chip damage you take while blocking, so you don't have to constantly sheath and heal. Kulu is a better option for pure raw but I liked the poison on it and never got around to recrafting another one(it also has like 4 attack custom mods so it's actually not completely awful for damage either). Once I have MR100+ and can do temp namielle for R12 health augment is when I'll be looking at the other crap I crafted but at this point it isn't really worth the slightly higher damage.

For HH I made the acid glav one, haven't actually fought bazel since the story quest so don't have the mats but acid glav is great anyway, highest raw and good songs(it has melody extension so you can play just that to refresh attack XL and the self improvement song). I haven't played much HH since I stopped in the story though, and everytime I want to I'm annoyed at having to slot 2 horn maestro lvl 1 cause I haven't found the lvl 4 double one yet. Also overall I just appreciate playing weapons which don't have micromanagement bullshit more. Having to redo your songs everytime the monster moves is annoying and if an area takes too long you have to rebuff mid fight and combined with keeping shit soften with the claw it just gets too busy.

I should probably bust out the horn more often when I do multiplayer guiding lands though since these buffs are no joke. I want to make a Styx upgraded one too for All Winds Negated for Kushala but the mats are tempered elders in GL I think so haven't done that yet, I'm still 87 or so, should hit 99 tomorrow.

Man I dunno. Kirin kicked mine Brahma Brahma and Hatorade Hatorade ass the other night when trying to do it. They are master ranked so get ready to pucker up buttercup.
MR Kirin is definitely a big step up, I think I mentionned it the other day I wasted a good investigation carting 3 times against it even though AT Kirin was a joke. They shuffled a bunch of stuff on his skills and made a lot more stuff multi hits or delayed hits so I was pretty surprised by a lot of stuff. When I redid him though I think he hit me 3 times the entire fight, basically the trick was to not use counters on anything lightning and instead just normal block/power guard, because almost all his lightning stuff comes with some bullshit and you counter one hit and get hit by 3 others.

That said multiplayer values are also different and on a small monster like Kirin it can be an issue, but if you do it solo you'll notice he'll basically fall over every 4-5 solid hit to the head and you can more or less chain CC him like that and same for Kush and Teostra.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Come play on PC peeps!

998.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Dunno if I changed a setting or something but somehow I’m always pulling up the chat menu when playing my songs on HH. Never happened until this week, been playing quite a bit of hh since Iceborne. Any ideas?
Edit: ps4, double edit, maybe I’ve damaged my controller or something.

Last edited:
  • 1Like