Monster Hunter: World

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Every time I settle on a weapon I try another and like it too. Probably be going hunting horn/bow. Great Sword is probably the only weapon I didn't enjoy.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Every time I settle on a weapon I try another and like it too. Probably be going hunting horn/bow. Great Sword is probably the only weapon I didn't enjoy.

Yeah, there were a few I didn't like at all with the Long Sword, Lance, and the Great Sword being the biggest offenders. I was thinking about Switch Axe but the Hammer sold me hard when I KO'd Nergigante with it. That and the hilarious spinning flying attack. Being able to run around while charging your big attack is also extremely convenient.

Insect Glaive and Bow are the runners' up.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
On the repeatedly banned French guy stream it just got revealed that Nergigante was trying to kill and eat Zorah Magdaros, then tried to eat the other Elder Dragons too. Don't know if anyone cares about spoilers since its Monster Hunter and these games usually only have a vague story. I suppose that is one way to build up your flagship monster

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
So supposedly this game has 200 hours of content if you include side quests, secrets and story.

There goes my life for the next few months.

Also does anyone have a good youtube video that explains the story of Monster Hunter up to this point?

Edit: Also 40-50 hours of story.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
The older games have literally no joining story. The only game that actually had a decent story in and of itself was 4, which was the Frenzy Virus driving all of the monsters batshit crazy that was spread by Gore Magala and its evolved form Shagaru Magala. You traveled with a caravan of people to different locations, but those characters had almost no backstory and were just some standard archetypes.

For World, the general story is the place your character is going the "New World" has a strange event, where every 10 years a bunch of Elder Dragons migrate to the island in the "Elder Crossing". Every time this happens the Guild (people in charge of assigning hunters to go kill shit) sends an expedition to research whats going on. Your character is part of the fifth expedition. You wind up meeting people from the other 4 expeditions while you find shit out on the island. It looks like the mystery of this game won't be fully revealed until the very end, as the guy I've been watching is up to 7 Star quests and they still have no idea why the Elder Dragons migrate to the island.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
The older games have literally no joining story. The only game that actually had a decent story in and of itself was 4, which was the Frenzy Virus driving all of the monsters batshit crazy that was spread by Gore Magala and its evolved form Shagaru Magala. You traveled with a caravan of people to different locations, but those characters had almost no backstory and were just some standard archetypes.

For World, the general story is the place your character is going the "New World" has a strange event, where every 10 years a bunch of Elder Dragons migrate to the island in the "Elder Crossing". Every time this happens the Guild (people in charge of assigning hunters to go kill shit) sends an expedition to research whats going on. Your character is part of the fifth expedition. You wind up meeting people from the other 4 expeditions while you find shit out on the island. It looks like the mystery of this game won't be fully revealed until the very end, as the guy I've been watching is up to 7 Star quests and they still have no idea why the Elder Dragons migrate to the island.

See? There's some story there. I want to learn about the Frenzy Virus, Gore Magala and Shagaru Magala, what the New World is, what the Elder Dragons are and who have attacked in the past, what the guild is, what happened in the other 4 expeditions, and what the "Island" is. I'm coming into world with literally 0 idea about anything that's happened before.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
See? There's some story there. I want to learn about the Frenzy Virus, Gore Magala and Shagaru Magala, what the New World is, what the Elder Dragons are and who have attacked in the past, what the guild is, what happened in the other 4 expeditions, and what the "Island" is. I'm coming into world with literally 0 idea about anything that's happened before.

This has some stuff:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Delly

Trakanon Raider

My reply was more of a inside joke with the MH community about the story being vague, even the story about the frenzy virus is quite vague but there is definitely some story. It is nice that MHW is throwing together more story and including some past things. It'll definitely help Western fans feel more connected.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
digital foundry

So, things to get from that. Game features an uncapped framerate

Regular PS: Averages around 30, with dips below 30 and almost going to 40 in some areas. 1080p

PS pro framerate option: Averages around 45ish. Rarely / if ever reaching 60. 1080p. Graphical options similar to the regular PS.

PS pro visuals option: Didn't see a FPS part for that, but assume similar to the framerate option? 1080p. Graphical option less popins and longer LOD.

PS pro resolution option: Around 35fps, but never dips below. 3200*1800. Graphics are sharper.

Conspiracy theory time: Capcom are aware of the framerate issues. Can make them better, but don't. While Destiny 2 didn't have retention, what they did see is a large portion of people double dipping for the PC port due to 60fps with all bells and whistles on.

With the long gap between ports, people who want the game will buy the PS4 version first. Then even if they invest a large amount of time on the PS4 version, the PC version will give quite a significant increase of the flow of the game and combat (which is what this game is all about) by simply having a steady 60+fps.

If the PC version only had pure graphical things like godrays and DX11-12 fancyness, that doesn't really change anything about the gameplay, and would only matter to people with top tier rigs. But with every console option being below 60 no matter the setting, being able to adjust the graphics on the PC to match your PC to get 60fps and have that impact the flow of the game and such your enjoyment of it will cause people to double dip.

So, Capcom has figured out that people will by the console version regardless since PC version is probably quite some months off. By leaving FPS unoptimized, more people will double dip when the PC version is released. #profit

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Too much conspiracy for my taste. MH has never been concerned with such things so why change now? Its the same engine essentially so it makes sense that it follows suit with the previous games.

While I know Capcom has made questionable decisions with some of its games such as Street Fighter, it's negative influence on Monster Hunter has been little to none. Regardless, if you're coming into MH worrying about framerate and graphics, you're gonna get backlash because it's never been about that. As long as I don't have actual frame drops where I am teleporting (which I did in very specific situations in the beta) then I'll be happy regardless of the FPS.

Edit: I should have stated I was getting frame drops on a base PS4 and will be getting a Pro on Friday so hopefully those will be gone.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Let’s go bae, I’m off this Friday and divorced now so no responsibilities.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users