Monster Hunter: World

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
So I picked this game up Saturday, and am up to HR7. I've been dipping into this thread from time to time since the game came out, and I think someone said not to farm too much when you're low. I did farm the monsters in the Ancient Forest a few times, because Anjarnath owned me the first time I fought him. Otherwise I haven't farmed anything else except TziTzi-Ya-Ku (cause I keep running into him, and he's easy to kill).

I just had to use an SoS Flare to kill Paolumu, and then afterward I was fighting Radobaan and took too long, so he ran away from me. I'm using the Insect Glaive, which seemed like a pretty cool weapon when I started. Haven't tried any others yet. The Insect Glaive seems kinda difficult to use. I'm still figuring out how to get the buffs quickly, but sometimes I seem to be right on bosses and completely miss with the L2+Triangle move, and since I miss so often with it, I haven't been able to hit the R2 button often to complete the combo and get the buff. Instead, I dash away a bit and do L2+Circle to get the Kinsect to bring me the buff.

After Radobaan got away from me I thought maybe I needed to upgrade some armor. After a night's sleep, however, I'm thinking I was too passive against him. I mostly let him come to me, trying to avoid his roll and then attacking him when he came out of it. I'm about to give him another try and go a little more HAM. I believe I'm using Barroth helm, a couple of Pukei pieces, and a Tobi piece for armor, and I've got the T4 Pulsar Rod.

Any tips or advice are welcome. I've tried to attack this game as a single player challenge. I figure anything can be killed solo, so that's what I've attempted. Friends have been online a few times and we've done some investigations, but for assignments I've only called help for Paolumu (which seemed like a counter to my Insect Glaive) and the Mudkip guy because he was annoying.

If you have monsters leaving the area you're in expedition. Just follow assigned/optional story quests and you have until the quest time limit ends to beat the monsters.

I'd highly recommend not using SOS until you're in the "end game" of farming tempered investigations or maybe if you need to farm magda/xeno materials since you rarely get those quests to pop and they aren't repeatable otherwise.

This is so you actually learn the monster mechanics and also because fights are way quicker since monster HP is lower solo. If you're being carried this early in the game you're going to have a bad time when you get to tempered and get one shot repeatedly to fail your own quests/others quests.

You don't particularly need to worry about armor and such while low rank. I didn't swap out my low rank non upgraded bone armor until pretty far in cause if you don't get hit you don't take damage.

Learn to use your items too. Paolumu is probably only tough to you because you weren't flashing him out the sky. You can carry 3 flash pods + 10 bugs to craft more.

As far as insect glaive goes I only recommend not flying around often as it limits your DPS heavily. Do try out other weapons. Some might click quicker for you.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
The dream, with rocksteady mantle obviously. Spam dat Burst Fire~
I was about to make a post about the lance build? Even though that's a gunlance. I was doing a Nerigante run and I never grouped with a Lancer before. I just don't see them that often like a horn player. Anyway this guy was face tanking Nerigante the whole fight and wasn't taking much damage at all. Granted he was standing in the green mist healing but his health was barely moving and he had the Nerigante set on which heals him with each attacks. I was really impressed.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I picked this game up Saturday, and am up to HR7. I've been dipping into this thread from time to time since the game came out, and I think someone said not to farm too much when you're low. I did farm the monsters in the Ancient Forest a few times, because Anjarnath owned me the first time I fought him. Otherwise I haven't farmed anything else except TziTzi-Ya-Ku (cause I keep running into him, and he's easy to kill).

I just had to use an SoS Flare to kill Paolumu, and then afterward I was fighting Radobaan and took too long, so he ran away from me. I'm using the Insect Glaive, which seemed like a pretty cool weapon when I started. Haven't tried any others yet. The Insect Glaive seems kinda difficult to use. I'm still figuring out how to get the buffs quickly, but sometimes I seem to be right on bosses and completely miss with the L2+Triangle move, and since I miss so often with it, I haven't been able to hit the R2 button often to complete the combo and get the buff. Instead, I dash away a bit and do L2+Circle to get the Kinsect to bring me the buff.

After Radobaan got away from me I thought maybe I needed to upgrade some armor. After a night's sleep, however, I'm thinking I was too passive against him. I mostly let him come to me, trying to avoid his roll and then attacking him when he came out of it. I'm about to give him another try and go a little more HAM. I believe I'm using Barroth helm, a couple of Pukei pieces, and a Tobi piece for armor, and I've got the T4 Pulsar Rod.

Any tips or advice are welcome. I've tried to attack this game as a single player challenge. I figure anything can be killed solo, so that's what I've attempted. Friends have been online a few times and we've done some investigations, but for assignments I've only called help for Paolumu (which seemed like a counter to my Insect Glaive) and the Mudkip guy because he was annoying.
Make sure to Capture every monster you encounter at least once, this will unlock stuff as you go.

Don't worry to much about farming for Armor while you're in Low Rank, but do try to upgrade your weapon(s). I don't know much about the IG, but the Thunder element will be good enough vs everything. Once you hit HR, branch out and try to get Ice / Fire as well.

If you're ever short of money, look for investigations that have 4-5 rewards for killing small monsters (like Horntaurs in Rotten Vale). Kill them, keep the armor upgrade stones and sell the rest. Quick and easy money. This is a good way for you to afford getting the Power / Armor charms from the vendor (costs 60k to get both), and those are great to have.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Negirgante speed kill under 2 minute with no rock steady mantle with a long sword.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This reminds me, I bought the premium edition which mentioned that it had a Zero Dawn armor set. Is this the same one?
Was the premium edition and actual armor set, or a Layered costume like the Samurai? Was the event that let ppl get the HZD palico armor PS exclusive?

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
It looks like extra elemental damage isn't added in the calculator but your higher normal attack numbers might just be from the inventory charms.

Good point forgot about the 4 inventory charms I use to add stats, completely forgot about those. The elemental attack is probably off because i'm using free element.

Doing 6-7 minute tempered elders now pretty easily as SnS, its crazy how deep this game gets and how important min maxing is for those bastards.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was about to make a post about the lance build? Even though that's a gunlance. I was doing a Nerigante run and I never grouped with a Lancer before. I just don't see them that often like a horn player. Anyway this guy was face tanking Nerigante the whole fight and wasn't taking much damage at all. Granted he was standing in the green mist healing but his health was barely moving and he had the Nerigante set on which heals him with each attacks. I was really impressed.

As a Lancer and now G-Lancer main I think it's a love it or hate it type of a class. No mobility, but it is nice to face tank pretty much everything. Honestly I wish more people would learn to fight on the healing mist as much as possible and it's surprising/disappointing that HR 50+ players still don't do this.

Throw on a Stun III charm, 3 Piece Urg, 3 Vit, Guard 3 (minimum), you will literally have to try and die (Tempered Elders excluded). Regarding Gun Lance, I have the Royal Burst lance, but honestly, I prefer just clubbing and swiping monsters with my Nerg Gunlance. If I hit with my combos, it's usually between 200-500 damage per combo depending on crits and I just spam this over and over with very little sharpness loss and I have the safety net of a more defensive build as well.

I've been recently messing with a HBG defensive build (I really didn't have to change anything except a few decos from my lancer sets) since you (auto) block just like a shield without having to raise your shield. It's decently fun, but I think more for the novelty of explosions and walking around like the Terminator.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
As a Lancer and now G-Lancer main I think it's a love it or hate it type of a class. No mobility, but it is nice to face tank pretty much everything. Honestly I wish more people would learn to fight on the healing mist as much as possible and it's surprising/disappointing that HR 50+ players still don't do this.

Throw on a Stun III charm, 3 Piece Urg, 3 Vit, Guard 3 (minimum), you will literally have to try and die (Tempered Elders excluded). Regarding Gun Lance, I have the Royal Burst lance, but honestly, I prefer just clubbing and swiping monsters with my Nerg Gunlance. If I hit with my combos, it's usually between 200-500 damage per combo depending on crits and I just spam this over and over with very little sharpness loss and I have the safety net of a more defensive build as well.

I've been recently messing with a HBG defensive build (I really didn't have to change anything except a few decos from my lancer sets) since you (auto) block just like a shield without having to raise your shield. It's decently fun, but I think more for the novelty of explosions and walking around like the Terminator.

Don't even need guard on Lancer tbh. The only things you can't block without it is Teostras explosion which I just flash pod. I run white sharpness, 100% affinity full damage on my lancer build 99% of the time most tempered are limping before my mantle / heal boosters wears off. Just get good at counter attack and fights are a joke.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Don't even need guard on Lancer tbh. The only things you can't block without it is Teostras explosion which I just flash pod. I run white sharpness, 100% affinity full damage on my lancer build 99% of the time most tempered are limping before my mantle / heal boosters wears off. Just get good at counter attack and fights are a joke.

I might have been missing something but with Guard from Urg I am pretty sure I could block roars as well which does free up earplug stats for other things, all playstyle though.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I might have been missing something but with Guard from Urg I am pretty sure I could block roars as well which does free up earplug stats for other things, all playstyle though.

You can counter-thrust without guard and I'm pretty sure you can outright block it as well without guard, but I rarely straight block since it takes away from damage.

Most of the non damage set perks (earplugs/tremors/windproof/guard etc) are negated by good play since you can block, roll or shoulder charge immunity them or just rocksteady/evade mantle.