Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

Dreaderus

Trakanon Raider
It used to be this thread:

we can close my thread and rename the original i missed it in search!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
I like the graphics.

The true sign of success for any MMO is the degree to which people can troll others. Whether or not you can ruin someone's day by trolling in this game will tell its success.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Latest update just went out. This one is on art updates, snagged a few in the spoiler below for any that don't want to click through. I actually really like the models, definitely hitting that EQ style. If they get the animations right it could be really good.

1637068860858.png

1637068877449.png

1637068892943.png

1637068904313.png

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Looks great except for one thing: They have 5 small races, 2 normal sized, and 1 large. I unfortunately cannot support this game, as it is missing the Troll master race.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
Really enjoying the progress updates and the streams. They're creating a pretty strong POC and seeing the development process live has been super neat.

• 2Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
It's been a while since any mmo interested me, here's to hoping.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

fjurn

Molten Core Raider
They've been posting progress updates more often (streams, images, etc.).

Right now they're looking to get their number of subscribers / discord users / mailing list members up - so if you've been following now is a good time to sign up to show interest.

Discord: Join the Monsters & Memories Discord Server!

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKp7Os1smchzDc0R16evBdA/featured

Mailing List: Monsters & Memories Mailing List Sign-up

Web Page: Monsters & Memories

Concept art for some of their races. Trolls look super cool. I like that the females are pretty distinct from the males. Deep dwarf is an interesting idea.
image0.jpg

20211217_004221.jpg

20211217_004225.jpg

20211217_004229.jpg

20211217_004232.jpg

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Looks great except for one thing: They have 5 small races, 2 normal sized, and 1 large. I unfortunately cannot support this game, as it is missing the Troll master race.

I hereby retract the above quoted post. Trolls look great, I am all in.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Add much as I loath small races, the deep gnome looks irritating as hell. Maybe Mandrake?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can someone summarize why we think this has an actual chance of

1. Being a quality EQ style mmo.
2. Actually coming out before we are all geriatric.

I'm sure the data is buried throughout the thread, but if someone has Cliff's Notes I'd be obliged.

forehead

Trakanon Raider
Can someone summarize why we think this has an actual chance of

1. Being a quality EQ style mmo.
2. Actually coming out before we are all geriatric.

I'm sure the data is buried throughout the thread, but if someone has Cliff's Notes I'd be obliged.
1. Yes
2. Multiple team members stream weekly and progress has been swift.

They’ve been working on it about a year. In the past couple of days they created a YouTube account and uploaded old streams. It is a small team that’s been fleshing out the systems before doing any world building or art. They seem very committed to being a straight up Classic EverQuest game in a modern engine.

In the past month they have added a few artists (concept, environmental, and creature artists). They have contracted with an art studio to make some player models but none are final.

One of the devs posted a class list. He said all are currently in game with their basic spell/ability kit.
12FC2A5B-E497-45EE-8E39-78C1F4E772AC.jpeg

• 2Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
1. Yes
2. Multiple team members stream weekly and progress has been swift.

They’ve been working on it about a year. In the past couple of days they created a YouTube account and uploaded old streams. It is a small team that’s been fleshing out the systems before doing any world building or art. They seem very committed to being a straight up Classic EverQuest game in a modern engine.

In the past month they have added a few artists (concept, environmental, and creature artists). They have contracted with an art studio to make some player models but none are final.

One of the devs posted a class list. He said all are currently in game with their basic spell/ability kit.
View attachment 388797

Thanks for the summary. Did I read somewhere that one or more of the devs on this actually worked on original EQ, or did my brain just make that up? Have these guys put anything out before? Do they have professional funding or is this a garage project?

People seem to be pretty optimistic about this game, and I guess I'm just trying to figure out why we shouldn't assume it's just going to turn into another Pantheon.

Don't get me wrong, of course would be great if a project like this succeeded, but we've all been burned way too many times with promises for games like this that never materialize for us not to approach something like this with a huge grain of salt.

Edit: It seems like the lead dev Shawn worked on EQ "at some point." No indication of what era or what exactly he did for EQ. Nothing specific about that in his bio on the MnM website either. I was hoping they had unearthed John Capozzi or Lawrence Poe or something.

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the summary. Did I read somewhere that one or more of the devs on this actually worked on original EQ, or did my brain just make that up? Have these guys put anything out before? Do they have professional funding or is this a garage project?

People seem to be pretty optimistic about this game, and I guess I'm just trying to figure out why we shouldn't assume it's just going to turn into another Pantheon.

Don't get me wrong, of course would be great if a project like this succeeded, but we've all been burned way too many times with promises for games like this that never materialize for us not to approach something like this with a huge grain of salt.

Edit: It seems like the lead dev Shawn worked on EQ "at some point." No indication of what era or what exactly he did for EQ. Nothing specific about that in his bio on the MnM website either. I was hoping they had unearthed John Capozzi or Lawrence Poe or something.

I think Shawn worked through at least Kunark, and ended up being the lead dev for Luclin? I could be wrong.