Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

forehead

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the summary. Did I read somewhere that one or more of the devs on this actually worked on original EQ, or did my brain just make that up? Have these guys put anything out before? Do they have professional funding or is this a garage project?

People seem to be pretty optimistic about this game, and I guess I'm just trying to figure out why we shouldn't assume it's just going to turn into another Pantheon.

Don't get me wrong, of course would be great if a project like this succeeded, but we've all been burned way too many times with promises for games like this that never materialize for us not to approach something like this with a huge grain of salt.

Edit: It seems like the lead dev Shawn worked on EQ "at some point." No indication of what era or what exactly he did for EQ. Nothing specific about that in his bio on the MnM website either. I was hoping they had unearthed John Capozzi or Lawrence Poe or something.
Shawn worked on EQ starting out as CS I think before Kunark and was a Game dev by Luclin. He worked Luclin through multiple expansions then moved to DCOU and later that horse MMO that little girls play. He makes it obvious the plan is to mirror original EQ. He is very accessible on Twitch and Discord and more transparent than any game dev probably should be ha.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

forehead

Trakanon Raider
In case there’s any doubt regarding it being inspired by EQ
5418A816-3E7C-45C4-83BB-6A0AA8BAB7AF.jpeg
6A83676A-1005-437F-95F4-631008FE116B.jpeg
CFC23270-28E3-44BB-A1C4-03A3270CEADD.png
333F231A-A30D-491C-9A50-28034145EB7A.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
ROFL I like that they're calling them "deep" elves to avoid the Twitter brigade.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
I think Shawn worked through at least Kunark, and ended up being the lead dev for Luclin? I could be wrong.
Shawn was in CS during Velious, was a developer in Luclin, and Lead Game Dev for PoP+LDoN+OoW(was not on the EQ team for GoD).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

forehead

Trakanon Raider
ROFL I like that they're calling them "deep" elves to avoid the Twitter brigade.
They also have deep dwarves, which are undead stone people. And deep gnomes — so maybe it’s lore related? Is dark Elf really something people get upset about?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
They also have deep dwarves, which are undead stone people. And deep gnomes — so maybe it’s lore related? Is dark Elf really something people get upset about?
Yes, it really is. Same with Orcs. Welcome to 2021.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't hate the name per se but have they considered something more unique? You want people googling your game's title to find you easily and searching for "M&M game" isn't going to lead them in the right direction.

1639986040044.png
1639986049417.png

forehead

Trakanon Raider
Shawn usually streams about twice a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays) so you can see for yourself how much it’s like Classic EQ. Unlike some other ‘classic’ mmo in development, you actually see development on a weekly basis. Combat works, abilities work, pets work, pathing in dungeons seem to work, boats work…If they slapped some art assets on what they’ve made they’d eclipse Pantheon in development by this Spring. It’s like both games started with the same idea but only one is sticking to the Vision™️ and not going crazy with feature creep. But I may be wrong. They might scrap all their work and focus on climbing for a year.

• 1Worf

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Shawn usually streams about twice a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays) so you can see for yourself how much it’s like Classic EQ. Unlike some other ‘classic’ mmo in development, you actually see development on a weekly basis. Combat works, abilities work, pets work, pathing in dungeons seem to work, boats work…If they slapped some art assets on what they’ve made they’d eclipse Pantheon in development by this Spring. It’s like both games started with the same idea but only one is sticking to the Vision™️ and not going crazy with feature creep. But I may be wrong. They might scrap all their work and focus on climbing for a year.
Shawn is VERY big on avoiding "feature creep". I'd be shocked if he suddenly wanted to implement 240 new systems all of the sudden.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Link to his twitch?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Honestly why not Black Elves? Other ideas include:
Night Elf(duh)
Abyss Elf
Void Elf
Demon Elf
Shadow Elf

Dark elf really is the best name for Drow and it is so dumb we even have to talk about it.
Deep Elf is lame, might as well call them underground Elf or Dirt Elf.
Oh no look out here comes the Crust Elf!